A Cautionary Tale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Cautionary Tale

Hi all, I'm Shambles, I'm a 45 year old from the UK. Been on MWO since last November, lurking at first before posting in January. I began drinking at a very early age (7) and despite that, managed to function pretty well. I was a so-called functioning alcoholic up until last November when, well, I stopped functioning. A series of events and a massive escalation in drinking (6-8 bottles of wine a day) led to me ending up in A&E which led to me being put in touch with the local drug and alcohol services and we worked out a reduction plan, with the proviso that if that didn't work, I'd do a medical detox.

Some of the things that led me to seek help: nearly losing my job, riding my motorbike under the influence on a daily basis and falling off so many times it was ridiculous (plus the cuts weren't healing), delirium tremens on a daily basis that weren't going away no matter how much I drank, riding to the 24 hour store at 3am to pick up more wine and having to drive with one hand over my eye so I could be sure which side of the road I was on, queuing up at the cashier and turning round to see 2 police behind me.

'Bit early for that isn't it, sir?'
    'Oh, I work nights, I've just come off shift'
    I must have reeked. How I got away with that I'll never know.

Anyway, you get the picture...throwing up wine in my mouth and swallowing it back down so as not to waste it. Not knowing who or what I was. But the reduction worked, and I had my last drink on Christmas Eve last year.

Things were amazing. These last months have been without a doubt the best of my life. I was for the first time in my whole life authentic, and I loved it. I was even able to go to parties and took pleasure in not drinking.

Then 3 weeks ago, I was at a wedding. It was just after the service, and everyone was drinking champagne, except me and another woman. I said I'd go and ask at the bar if they had any non alcoholic beer we could toast the bride with. She said, 'oh just get me a small something if not. They didn't, so I brought a half a shandy for the woman and a soda and lime for me. I brought the shandy back to her, she looked at me in disgust and said 'I'm not drinking that!' and flounced off.

I thought 'well fuck YOU then' and I drank it. That is all I remember about the wedding, but it switched something in me...I started drinking like a bastard, instantly straight back to my old levels. There was a fight, I insulted the bride's family. I remember nothing of this. The next day I somehow got myself back to London, drinking all the way. I missed work, didn't call in or anything. My girlfriend had alerted my little brother, he drove 3 hours to come and pick me up and bring me back to where my family live. Again, most of this is a blackout, but I managed to convince everyone that I could reduce again, except I couldn't. I was drinking more and more, and last Sunday I ended up in A&E again. I was psychotic, dangerous and suicidal. They were concerned enough to admit me and start me on Librium and intravenous Pabrinex. By Thursday, I was stable enough to be discharged.

Luckily I'm here writing this, as painful as it is to do. I really want to be able to stop anyone, even one single person from making the mistake I did. I had to be stopped from jumping out of a window.

The second quit was a quazillion (is that a word? It is now!&#128512 times harder than the first. Kindling is real. And it wasn't a steady climb back up to the drinking levels either...I was whacked straight back up to where I was before, as if the 8 months of quit never happened.

I had NO intention of drinking at that wedding. As I said, I'd been to lots of parties and got a real kick out of not drinking. Being AF is really really cool! (And the chicks dig it!&#128526
    It just took a split second.

And it was the most deadly half a shandy I've ever had.

Thanks for reading, and, more importantly, thanks for being here, every single one of you.
    It's great to have escaped.

Welcome Shambles,

I think for those of us in recovery it is an ongoing battle of always saying no to that voice in our head that "just one" can't hurt. When we hear relapse stories, it helps all of us (as well as you coming back to the fold) to realize that we are all just one drink away from a relapse.

Welcome to your day 1 and many more of no more alcohol. Sham, I post on the Newbie's Nest Roll Call, and find this thread to really help me maintain my accountability. I am currently in Peru and everyone talks about the need to try the Pisco Sour which is a famous drink in Peru but with alcohol. So, I have googled a couple of non alcoholic drinks that are popular in Peru. So, I did not feel denied when hubby tried the Pisco sour at a 5 star restaurant yesterday and I had a tasty camu camu (without liquor). I just keep working this program day by day and racking up another day on Newbie's Nest roll call. I had a 7 year quit once and blew it over thinking I could have one glass of wine with the family at dinner as I had been able to abstain for so long. The first time I went out with the girls with the thought of drinking and I'll only keep it to 2, I drank 6! WAY over the amount I can handle. 3 I'm drunk and 4 I'm smashed.

Welcome back to heaven and glad you're out of alco hell (as Byrdie calls it).

Addy (All done drinking...Yes!)
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will" ~Jack Welsh~

God didn't give you the strength to get back on your feet, so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down.

But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story, Shams. What happened to you is very frightening. So glad you made it through. I got sober here at MWO last summer, and haven't had a drop of alcohol since, largely thanks to experiences like yours that people have been generous enough to share.

Comment

Shambles,

I am glad you are okay! Thank you so much for posting your story. I really needed to read that today. Please keep posting and take care of yourself!

Thanks again!
        :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Thank you so much for telling you story and welcome back to life without alcohol.............I'm living proof that its blooming great.
          So happy you're here.
          It could be worse, I could be filing.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Thanks Shambles for being so open and honest. Its stories like yours that keep me focusing on sobriety. We are only one drink away from hell. Welcome back and love your posts on Army, its great to have you back.
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Thanks for the post shambles. I have constantly told myself not to drink at people, but could easily see a "fuck you" situation like yours happening to me. This is something I am going to watch out for, and hope you post more often. You have a lot of experience and I think the. More often you share the better for all of us.

Comment

BRILLIANT post Shambles.
                Yes I agree that this experience, though so tough on you, will in the long run be a good thing.
                Having been sober myself for quite a few months I took a 'break' for a holiday and like you expected 1 or 2 would do the trick but no - drank MrS under the table.
                I documented how I felt and will read it if I'm ever in doubt.
                It's hard to believe that one Shandy will set in motion what you've been through and it is a wake-up call for all of us.
                I have no doubt that your experience will stop people thinking it is ok to take that ONE drink.
                It also serves to show those still struggling and starting out that there is light at the end of the tunnel no matter how bad things are.

THANK YOU :hug:

Comment

Thanks, Shambles. Glad you're back.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your very kind words, non-judgement and support. It means so much to me.

I feel that I need to make this crystal clear though...for me it was one of the scariest parts of the whole experience. At no point was there a conscious decision to drink. I did not want to drink. I was really looking forward to attending my first sober wedding, and at social events before I got a real kick out of telling people I didn't drink. It was pleasant in a way to feel 'different' and certainly in the UK (at least in the parts I tend to hang around) not drinking is seen as a bit odd.

I know I wrote up there that I thought 'fuck it' and drank the shandy, but it was quicker than that. That was the scary thing, and I guess the message I want to get across. It was as quick as the reflex you have if you burn yourself....you pull your hand away before you're aware you've done it. The 'fuck it' came as it was going down my neck.

I want to make this as clear as possible because it just might help someone else realise how lightning-fast a relapse can be. I may as well have inadvertently stepped into a bear trap.

Comment

Wow. Thanks for sharing this.
                      No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Originally posted by shambles70 View Post
                        Thanks everyone for your very kind words, non-judgement and support. It means so much to me.
                        To judge you - that would be like the kettle calling the pot Black Arse Shambo

Comment

Shambles, Thank you for telling us about what happened to you. You just may have saved a life, or at least a quit :hug:. I'm trying to save stories such as yours and not let them disappear into the ether. Would you mind copying it in this thread: https://www.mywayout.org/community/sh...-in-Retrospect or tell me that it is ok for me to do so?
                          I hope you're feeling much, much better.

Comment

NoSugar, please feel free to copy it...I'd do it myself, but this new fangled iPad thingy, well, I'm still getting my head around it. I haven't found your thread before; I'm going to go have a look at it now.

I'm feeling much better, thanks. Last day of my Librium regime tomorrow, and 9 days AF. I have a lot of rebuilding to do, inside and out. I destroyed large swathes of my life in a very short period of time, but that's the price I have to pay. I have a lot to be thankful for...a family that looked after me...my older brother died 3 years ago from alcohol...it must have been terrifying for them to see the state I was in but they came through for me. I have no doubt I would be dead now if they hadn't have intervened when they did...a doctor in the hospital who saw I needed immediate help and not just sending home with a referral to the drug and alcohol team for a follow up...a boss who has been so understanding....the support here....so much to be grateful for.
                            I'll say it again, and I'll keep saying it...there was no gradual increase, no trying to moderate and it gradually creeping up. A half a shandy, and I was instantly back in the hell I was in before my quit in December. If someone who's reading this doesn't know what that is, it's about 142 ml of 4% proof lager mixed with 142 ml of lemonade/sprite. Pretty weak huh? That's all it took to send me completely out of control.

That's all it took to nearly kill me.

Comment

It is so scary what one drink can lead to. I'm glad your okay. My drinking levels after a relapse got to about double then when I quit the first time and more frequent. Thank you for sharing your story. I was in a psychotic state the other night and it is terrifying. I hadn't even planned on drinking that night.

When I fell off the wagon it was a similar fuck you/it moment on an airplane where the drinks are small. Same kinda reflex. It went down really quick. It was just one and after I'd successfully navigated being at home for 6 weeks around tons of drinking...no problem. About a week later I drank a bottle of wine in our garage. Pretty much exactly went into old habits immediately until it escalated to the other night. I've tried a few times to quit again this past year... And it was a lot harder.
                              Last edited by Choices; October 17, 2015, 01:57 AM.
                              AF January 7, 2018

Comment

Working...
                              X