Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Showers & thunderstorms are in the forecast for this afternoon. I had planned to put a coat of stain on our privacy fence yesterday but I was tired after our early morning walk and grass cutting so I didn’t do it. My procrastination paid off as we had an unexpected shower late afternoon.

Ginger, I hope your son and his family get through the quarantine process safely.

Two weeks ago I ordered surgical masks primarily for Mrs QW to wear, from a firm in Toronto and it looks like they were stolen from the mail. Or delivered to the wrong address. Her immune system is compromised because of Parkinson’s so these masks are very important to us. The company is re-shipping the order at no cost with delivery by courier this time. I hope whoever has them realizes that someone else was depending on having them.

Safe travels home Rava. My folks used to winter in Florida, October-April, and my Dad hated coming home. One year I made him a How Many More Sleeps Til I Go Back To Florida calendar. I attached a pencil on a string to the calendar so he could mark off each day. Several years later, after my folks passed, we were cleaning out their house and I found the calendar and a well worn pencil in a desk drawer.

Stay safe, healthy and af everyone!

QW
    AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
    F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Another 24 please, 11:34 in yyc.

Thanks for all your well wishes. You guys are the best :heartbeat:

I am still super tired and its kinda hard to focus but I will keep coming back

xo
      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Late check in. Narilly, glad you posted. Hope you feel stronger each day! QW. I love the calendar idea. What a fun gift and your dad must have loved it. I hated coming back too but once I got back to my house, I’m happy to be back. It was an 18 hour trip which we drove straight without spending the night. We hit a possum which ran under our car. That was the only mishap. Ginger, sorry about your son and hope he and his family get well quickly. I feel like I have been in the twilight zone with all the travel. Will probably be back to normal tomorrow. Hi to Pauly, ABC, Dill, Jude, Slo and everyone else. Another 24 for me please and thank you.

Comment

Wednesday quote:

“Not everyone with trauma has an addiction, but everyone with an addiction has had trauma.”

-Gabor Mate
          Last edited by Slo; May 26, 2020, 07:55 PM.
          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Thanks for the quote [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION]! Hope that you continue to heal emotionally. Stick with your friends here and let time do its work. :hug:

Sorry about your son [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION], and wishing him a speedy recovery!

I woke up before the birds this morning and sat on the back porch. So quiet and peaceful.

Another sober day please and thank you!

Comment

5:15am in Alberta, I'll have another 24 please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
              [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
              Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Morning all, Ginger wishing your son a speedy recovery,,Rava glad you made it home safe, Narilly, hope you get to feeling 100%soon,QW, I'll bet they turned around and sold the masks, my owner bought 5-6 boxes and it cost him well over $500! Most people have their own when they come in but his idea is to sell them to non mask wearing customers for 50cents-im not doing that, if they don't have one I'll give it to them jeez, 5:50 am in Vegas another 24
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

That's a good quote, Slo. Thanks!

My knee seems to be improving a little. Thanks for all your positive thoughts and well wishes for my son and his family.

I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

I hadn’t considered the possibility the missing masks had been re-sold, maybe they were. I don’t have much use for our postal service, having been disappointed too many times. Yesterday in the news was a story of a man who received a product, Brylcreem, that he’d ordered 8 years ago! OK, besides me, who is humming the Brylcreem ad...Brylcreem, a little dab’ll do ya.
                    Pauly, I hate being nickel & dimed. My favourite butcher was advertising that due to rising costs, he was forced to charge $2.50 per cardboard box. I suggested instead he build the charge into the overall cost - no one would likely notice and he could even charge more than the $2.50 per box.
                    We stayed at a resort in Punta Cana one time that charged $1.00 a day for wifi plus $5 a week rental cost for a lock for the in room safe. I suggested they increase the cost of every room by $15 a week and include both wifi and safe lock. No one would know, the resort would make more money and they could advertise free wifi and in room safe.
                    A lot of businesses here are adding a Covid-19 surcharge to cover the cost of extra cleaning, lost revenue, higher staff costs, etc.

Jessie and I walked in beautiful sunshine at 6 this morning, a great way to start the day.

Have a great af Wednesday everyone, stay safe & well.

QW
                    Last edited by Quit wining; May 27, 2020, 09:12 AM.
                    AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                    F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Ginger, I forgot to say I hope your son has a speedy recovery!

Good quote today, Slo. It's funny to think of addiction/alcoholism as a trauma, I guess because we bring it on ourselves. But that is exactly what it is: self-inflicted trauma.

Rava, sorry you had that incident with the possum but glad your trip was otherwise ok! It's always good to get back home. I wonder if one or the other of your two homes will come to feel more like home than the other. Time will tell.

QW, your procrastination definitely paid off! That was some good luck.

24 more please and thank you.
                      Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Good to see you safe and sound at home [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION]! I suppose all your friends and neighbours are anxious to get together and hear how your time down south was!

I’m really enjoying your quotes this week [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION], thought provoking to be sure…

Hopefully your son and your knee heal up quick [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION]!

It’s amazing what people will stoop to just to make a buck eh [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION]! But stealing masks??

I’d give the masks out for free as well [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION], sometimes it’s just the cost of doing business.

Lots of farmers are in the same boat around here as well [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION]. Picking away at what’s dry enough to seed, and hope everything else dries up in time. We’ll probably end up leaving about 300 of the 7000 acres due to wet conditions, and count ourselves lucky at that! We hit the ¾ mark done this morning, so the light is at the end of the tunnel and coming into view...
                        Last edited by abcowboy; May 27, 2020, 06:31 PM.
                        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Thursday quote:

“There are 5 traits that lead to addiction and lack of mental wellbeing:

-Perfectionism
                          -People Pleasing
                          -Controlling
                          -Isolation
                          -Low Self-Esteem”

—Lynn Matti

Comment

Glad it feels good for you to be back home, Rava!

And Jude is back on the back porch!! We finally have warm weather again!

So time to shave that beard off, QW!
                            Our 17-yr.-old daughter cut 90-yr.-old Uncle Don’s hair on Sunday at our little Memorial Day cookout! That was funny.

Pauly, what a tough week for you. I am thinking of you, and especially will be tomorrow. My brother lived alone too. I imagine that played a big part in why he chose jumping as his method; so he would be found right away.

I guess drinking to excess in itself could be a considered a trauma. But, we certainly turn to it to self-medicate the severe emotional pain of traumas.

I sure hope that your son’s COVID case continues to be mild, Ginger, and with no lingering issues. Geez, how scary!

24 more hours AF please.
                            Last edited by Slo; May 27, 2020, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for yesterday's quote Slo... I definitely qualify for 3 of those reasons!

Breezy but mild as I sit on the back porch....so lovely to be out here again!

I have a major decision to make in the near future. Next month I will turn 62 and will officially be able to take early retirement. Unfortunately, I can't do that and afford to keep Homer at the same time. Also, after my last fall, the joy of riding is being replaced by fear. Pretty sure that I broke a rib or two the last time that I unexpectedly departed company with the saddle. It took a good 6 weeks to heal, and I realized how much worse things could have been. My mind is troubled right now, but I will not drink!

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

Wow, Jude, that is a tough decision. I came to a point in my late 50's when I realized a fall from the saddle could be a big problem for me too so we sold our Tennesee Walker. I was so afraid of a broken bone, or worse, and healing is harder as we age. Some choices in life are just hard. You'll figure out what is right for you tho.

Slo, I think I only had one of the 5 traits (isolation) but as I looked at that list I thought that a genetic tendency is what got me more than anything else. That, plus growing up in a family that embraced social drinking and living in a society that promotes it. I didn't isolate until I already was hooked on alcohol and realized that I needed to isolate to keep my problem hidden. Thanks for the food for thought.

24 more for me, please and thank you.
                                Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Working...
                                X