~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Such scary, weird times. I'm about ready to hook up the 5th wheel and go live in the woods with the squirrels! I think this covid thing made people ripe for riots. It's so sad and I don't believe this honors Mr. Floyd in any way. 😢

Love that quote, Dill. I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

We too had a nasty storm yesterday afternoon - heavy rain, hail and strong winds. I brought the hanging baskets in just before the skies open up. There was noticeable damage at the 3 garden centres we walked past this morning. It was sunny & warm when we walked at 6:30.

Pauly, the world needs more people like you, people that see others for who they are. The rioting that’s going on is senseless and does nothing but dishonour the memory of an innocent man who was murdered.
      Dill, it’s certainly a double whammy for store owners. We don’t know how long the fallout from Covid-19 is going to last and if we do indeed get a second wave, shopping will be changed for a very long time. The last thing entrepreneurs need is rioters causing property damage and giving shoppers another reason to stay away.

A year or so ago we had people protesting an oil pipeline and I saw one radical protester interviewed on TV. He wasn’t impacted by the pipeline, wasn’t an Albertan and in fact wasn’t even Canadian. He claimed to be a “professional protester”. I wouldn’t be surprised if those causing the most damage during the riots in the US are similarly “employed”.

Lifechange, hope you enjoy Pentecostal Monday! Always enjoyed stat holidays back in my working days. Australians have the right idea as they have more stat holidays than anywhere I’ve ever seen, including Picnic Day which is celebrated in the Northern Territory. They work for their weekends and holidays. I spent too many days off working. And no one said thank you!

Regardless of the nonsense going on in the world, try to enjoy the day af. Stay safe & stay well.

QW
      Last edited by Quit wining; June 1, 2020, 09:14 AM.
      AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
      F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Another 24 please, 8:46 in Calgary. Sunny skies today.
        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hope you’re healing up well, Narilly!

Yeah, maybe you will be done with seeding if he finishes up the last of it himself, Cowboy!

Well said, Pauly: that the looting & vandalizing is just reinforcing the stereotypes. I too am so angry, sad, & dismayed at what the police officer did to that man, while the others just stood by; but still just don’t see how targeting innocent shop owners helps anything.

I was open with my cousin about my struggles with alcohol, LC, so that she would know that I share the same affliction. QW, I guess I could be ready to share “my” site with her! (MWO) So far I have suggested the Bubble Hour podcast to her. I think it would help her to broaden her recovery influences beyond AA.

I couldn’t resist my sis-in-law’s cake yesterday, even though it was amaretto-flavored. Then had that strange feeling in my body from reintroducing that substance... I don’t like that feeling! Although I‘m sure I could get used to it again, and quickly. So I did not have a slice of the leftover cake today.

24 more for me please!
          Last edited by Slo; June 1, 2020, 10:16 PM.
          Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good Morning Café!
            It's good to be awake and alive today.
            Just a small to do list but a big intention for another 24 af hours.
            Wishing everyone a good day..

Comment

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
              - Edmund Burke

I am sorry that today's quote isn't so much about recovery as it is about today's state of affairs. My heart is breaking. The forces of evil seem to be swarming everywhere unchecked. I'm seeing a failure of leadership on a mega scale. I pray for order to be restored.

I'm tying the knot now, and hanging on....24 for more please.
              Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

So much chaos in the world today, and this senseless violence is frightening. So glad that I live out in the country......no stores to loot here.

One of my clients is suffering from advanced Alzheimer's, and during dinner last night he looked at me and said "where is my dog? I haven't seen him for awhile." Unfortunately, his dog has been on the other side of the rainbow bridge for 20 years. I told him that the dog was around somewhere, and would show up soon. Thankfully, he accepted that answer and continued eating. Alzheimer's causes a person to lose all perspective of place and time, and they kind of live within their own little bubble. He has no idea about Corona virus, and the world wide looting and violence that's occurring now. Wish that I could do the same, but not by having Alzheimer's of course. Drinking created a fictional bubble for me, but the escape was short lived, and my troubles always seemed so much worse with the morning light.

Peace to all and another 24 please.

Comment

QW, I have no doubt that there are paid protesters! That's a sad situation in itself. But what is breaking my heart are the scenes of violence. There have been sickening videos of shop keepers trying to stand their ground and save their businesses only to be swallowed up by the angry mob (not protesters really, thugs) and beaten senseless or to death. I don't know what organizations are behind all this but I do know what force is behind it: HATE. I am feeling very afraid that it may prevail. I haven't been personally touched by the violence, but all of us are being traumatized by the daily onslaught of hate. And society in general is being traumatized. First the virus, now this. I do not like to be a Debbie Downer, so I'll finish with words of hope, written by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in 1863 during an even darker period of American history, the Civil War:

And in despair I bowed my head;
                  "There is no peace on earth," I said;
                  "For hate is strong,
                  And mocks the song
                  Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
                  "God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
                  The Wrong shall fail,
                  The Right prevail,
                  With peace on earth, good-will to men."
                  Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:40am in Alberta, 24 more for me please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                    [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

It looks as though I'll be headed back into the field sometime today, the farm boss texted last night and asked if I was ready to finish as soon as it dried up enough! There's about 60 acres to go in the field I was working on when the rain came, then a small 115 acre field to finish up. Working today will put me over the 300 hour mark in just short of 5 weeks!

I don't think the daily quotes has to always be about recovery [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION], and that goes for everyone else as well. What's happening in the world doesn't always affect us personally, but it sure can affect our recovery if we let it. That's why we have the Café, to discuss things here so that the thoughts don't cause turmoil in our heads! Except for politics that is, there is never a right answer when it comes to that! lol.

My answer to what's happening in the States, bring in the Army and a bunch of cattle liners, load up all the protestors and drop them off in the desert with enough food and water to last till they walk out. See how peaceful they can be to each other!
                      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Good idea Cowboy these "protesters" aren't protesting anything they're stealing and when someone (white guy) is walking out of a store with a stack of clothes I want to know what he's protesting? His lack of fashion sense? Just dumb and I only pointed out he was white cuz some of these people are doing horrible things and I'd hate for it to be all lumped onto one race of people, some girls were spray painting BLM on a building and it was brought up that they were white but a black person would more than likely be thought to have done it, what a mess! QW, someone brought up the paid protesters yesterday and I was made aware of a "crises actors" wanted in a Craigslist ad a week ago, seems a timely fit, alrighty my blood is gonna boil so enough of me talking about that. Slo, I don't like that feeling you described, I had that when I drank apple cider vinegar for my sinuses, it freaked me out and made me crave alcohol for some weird reason so I'm glad you didn't eat the leftovers Dill, your post had so much heartache, thanks for the quote, 5:55 am in Vegas another 24!
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

There is concern that there are protesters associated with the KKK and other white supremist groups just to insight more riots and unrest. If this is true, it's way worse than any of us could ever imagine. Heart breaking. 😢

I'll take another 24, please and thank you.

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

There’s been lots of comments in the Cafe already about the mess the world is in so I won’t add anymore.

I’m excited to be getting my haircut today! I was due for a trim before the salon closed several weeks ago. I must remember to adjust my hats before wearing if I want to see!

Jessie thought 2AM was a good time to reverse swallow her stomach contents. Nothing quite like being awakened by the sound of a barfing dog!

Have a great af Tuesday everyone. Stay safe, stay healthy.

QW
                            AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                            F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Good Morning Café,

Thanks for the quote, Dill, as well as the poem. I agree with what you've all written. It's a devastating and confusing time. It would be fairly easy for me to ignore it all.. living so far away I have to go searching for information. But I can't get the image of George Floyd out of my mind and I don't want to. He's just one of so many and thank goodness we have video proof.. otherwise it would be just another gone "unseen"..
                              I don't in any way understand the non-peaceful protesting, as it's not what any of the family or people from the community would want/are doing.
                              I didn't even know there was such a thing as paid protestors. So awful.
                              Yesterday NS mentioned a book she's mentioned before, but which I'd forgotten about.. or maybe even brushed away, thinking, "I'm not racist, I don't need to read it". I watched a talk with the author yesterday on youtube and it opened my eyes to so many things I didn't understand.. if anyone is interested.. just the tip of the iceburg, but I found it a very good stepping stone to understanding the complexity of racism..As well as a way to perhaps see a way things can change. It's called, White Fragility: Why It's Hard for White People to Talk About Racism. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45ey4jgoxeU

It's a beautiful summer day here today and my eldest daughter is getting married this evening. It isn't a state marriage, it's a ceremony in a Mosque, for her and her boyfriend to proclaim their love and commitment for one another within the Muslim community. Because I have absolutely no idea what this all entails (it's been a whirlwind of quick planning and it will be a very small and private event) I'm sort of going along for the ride. I don't even know what to give them as a gift! I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Stay safe everyone.. I'm happy and relieved to be here with all of you, moving forward in sobriety one day at a time. I'm feel quite grateful to at least have control over one thing in my life! Wishing you all a good 24 af hours..

Comment

Overwhelmed by the world right now, but my sobriety is keeping me sane!

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X