Gabapentin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gabapentin

Hi, I'm an old-timer coming back for another try. My doc just prescribed me gabapentin to help me cut down. I had never heard of it .. anyone know anything about this? Any advice appreciated ... thanks.
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Hi dexterhead, great to hear you're giving it another go! Most of the members from the meds section have moved to another forum, The End Of My Addiction | Forum Discussing Alcohol Medication, you might try that forum for answers to your questions! Good luck!
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hi Dex-
      Dr.George Koob with the National Institute of Health is a big fan and supporter of Gabapentin relative to helping people with their AUD situation. Pleas look at the Scripps Institute to learn more.

Comment

I'm prescribed gabapentin. At about 7 months alcohol free, I'm not really sure it's doing anything for me anymore, but I take 900mg along with 15mg Remeron (mirtazapine), which is usually enough to send me off to sleepy-bye land. I spoke with my psych doctor about coming off those meds, but he said to wait for one year for that conversation. I don't have any advice, except it makes me sleepy and oddly dizzy, so I take all 900mg at night instead of spacing out 3 300mg doses. Exactly how it works isn't known, but it does potentiate the effects of GABA, which would lead to an overall calming effect. I'm on other medications for generalized anxiety and I'm not sure how much of the relief I'm getting from anxiety is due to gabapentin itself, but my anxiety is controlled enough that I'm able to not drink. So there you have it: my two biggest reasons for drinking was anxiety and chronic insomnia, and both those have been addressed, at least in part, to gabapentin.
        First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

Working...
        X