Glycine for sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glycine for sleep

One of the apparent joys of getting older for me is the inability to stay asleep at night. I've tried all kinds of things and not much has helped until recently.

I read yet another article suggesting a few things, but a new one to me was glycine. This article recommended taking 3000mg of glycine about an hour before you went to bed. This is not to help you fall asleep (I take melatonin for that), but to help you stay asleep and to sleep deeper.

I usually get into bed and read until I'm tired, so that's when I take it. I'd say it took 3 days or so before I could definitively say it was working. For my husband and my sister in law, the effect was evident the very first night. It's not perfect and if I'm really stressed about something or if I'm sleeping in a strange bed it doesn't help that much, but all in all I'd say I have about a 60% improvement in my ability to stay asleep. And that's pretty darn good!

I've only been able to find 1000mg capsules, so I take 3 a night. The bottle says 1-3, but since the article I read said to take 3000mg, I take 3. I use Life Extension brand and I buy it from Amazon. I haven't tried any other brands.

Just thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone else has trouble with waking up through the night. I haven't noticed any side effects and I don't feel groggy in the morning.

Fly!:yay:SO Great to see you!!! I have missed you!!! I have not tried the glycine, but I LOVE the Life Extension brand of B-12 and Folic Acid capsules. They really boost my energy...and the LifeExtension brand is not expensive! Thanks for the info, Fly, and I hope you are well!

Comment

I am awesome Rusty! I hope life is grand in your neck of the woods. :love:

Comment

Hi Fly, I am awesome, too, thanks! VERY HAPPY! Life is SO good!

Comment

Originally posted by FlyAway View Post
          One of the apparent joys of getting older for me is the inability to stay asleep at night. I've tried all kinds of things and not much has helped until recently.

I read yet another article suggesting a few things, but a new one to me was glycine. This article recommended taking 3000mg of glycine about an hour before you went to bed. This is not to help you fall asleep (I take melatonin for that), but to help you stay asleep and to sleep deeper.

I usually get into bed and read until I'm tired, so that's when I take it. I'd say it took 3 days or so before I could definitively say it was working. For my husband and my sister in law, the effect was evident the very first night. It's not perfect and if I'm really stressed about something or if I'm sleeping in a strange bed it doesn't help that much, but all in all I'd say I have about a 60% improvement in my ability to stay asleep. And that's pretty darn good!

I've only been able to find 1000mg capsules, so I take 3 a night. The bottle says 1-3, but since the article I read said to take 3000mg, I take 3. I use Life Extension brand and I buy it from Amazon. I haven't tried any other brands.

Just thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone else has trouble with waking up through the night. I haven't noticed any side effects and I don't feel groggy in the morning.
          Thank you for posting this info! This part of MWO has always been one of my favorite forums. Lots of great collective info here!.... Think as we age our pineal glands produce less melatonin. Along with certain Rx's. Melatonin supplements make me feel extra wonky. :eek-new: Tho, I still take it occasionally, as have chronic insomnia. L-theanine hasn't helped.

Read some studies on glycine (amino acid). Went & bought some (thanks to your post). Along with some other things. Starting slow on Glycine. Three days ago I took 1000mg. Slept fantastic. Had to lower my thyroid RX, as FT4 & FT3 very low. Had a great nights sleep. What a difference the next day in my energy, mood, less fuzzy brain. Last night was third night of Glycine. Not good sleep. Had a monster headache today. Stayed up too late. Think it effects my circadian rhythm. Need to go to bed earlier even if I can't sleep, it's rest. Couldn't find any serious SE's with glycine, but do know melatonin has some. Don't think headache is from glycine.

Titrating to up 2000mg tonight. Taking two hours after meal. Have bought Life Extension before, but went with NOW brand. SIL to be, is a buyer for a health food Co. He said its a good brand with reasonable pricing. Glycine is also recommended for joint pain. Key amino acids in forming collagen & gelatin. May strengthen bones.

Also bought collagen type 1 & 3. Take on empty stomach, with Vitamin C for absorption. Plus vitamin C helps produce collagen. Think I should have bought type 2 collagen. Suffer from arthritis, joint pain, muscle pain. Also taking 5000iu Vit-D, magnesium, calcium at night. Have read over years magnesium ratio needs to be higher than calcium. Some current studies are saying calcium isn't good for the heart. Due to calcification. I don't know. Rotating supplements.

Found some good reads with Dr Axe, Chris Kresser, Dr Mercola & others over the years. I believe in western & eastern medicine. Depending on what the problems are. Think, I tend to lean towards alternative medicine now.

Good to see you!...Thanks again for this valuable contribution!...
          Last edited by Wildflowers; February 3, 2017, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Re: Glycine for sleep

Thank you all for this info! After reading this I have taken 1000 mg per night and have been sleeping much better.
            I am still waking a few times, but get back to sleep much quicker. Good sleep helps so much. I am going to stick
            with the 1000 mg since it seems to work.

Comment

Hello all, it's been a while since I've been here. I've told so many people about glycine and they have had mixed results, but I'd say at least 50% do feel that it makes a difference. A couple have said that 3000mg is too much for them and they do fine on 1000 or 2000mg. I say whatever works for you! I just read 3000 in the article and went with that. I'm happy that it has helped some of you!

Comment

Hi,
                I'm about to try glycine for the first time and am really hoping it helps. I don't suffer much from cravings but chronic insomnia is making me miserable. It's the single worst side effect of sobriety for me. I don't seem to be able to get more than 2 hours on the trot without awakening. (Been sober for 5months) I think 4/5 hours is my average nights sleep most of it broken.Thank God I'm no longer holding down a day job Is ANYONE able to sleep through the night since giving up?
                Thanks Kairos
                Sobriety is its own reward

Comment

Hi Kairos

Have you tried C60 Olive Oil? It is a very new product. I had insomnia for 13 years and it cured that good and proper after about 5 weeks of use. The first night I took it, i slept great, but i had a few nights (mainly due to hormones) where i did not sleep as good. I then finally stopped drinking and the sleeping is amazing. Really deep, restful, recovery sleep.
                  I have been taking it regularly now for about 10 weeks.
                  It has lots of other amazing benefits too.

minimoo

Comment

Working...
                  X