This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sport's Decision

Can I moderate or do I need to abstain? That is the decision I need to make. There is not a 3rd option where I continue to drink to excess and kill myself. So, I need a break from drinking to decide. I've been (unsuccessfully) trying to ramp down for a while. I think posting here will make the difference. I will take the next few days to ramp down. Wish me luck!

:welcome: to MWO Sport! No one can make that decision but you. There are a few moderator's here on MWO and they'll probably be along sometime to share their experiences with you. But I think you've already figured out your answer by your unsuccessful attempts to ramp down. But whatever your decision, there is tons of support here to help you!
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Re: Sport's Decision

It's good to hear from you [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION]. Thanks for the post.

Here I am, early on Day 1, feeling a slightly clearer head after only the ramp down. I'm going to try to not get too far ahead of myself. For now I will just focus on today. I'm deferring making that decision about my future for a while.

I will probably start to have menacing thoughts about drinking some time this afternoon - they'll likely kick into overdrive in late afternoon/early evening when I would normally start drinking. I have a few plans for that:
      1. Mindfully observe the urges without acting on them.
      2. Exercise or find something else to do to distract myself.
      3. Have a non-alcohol drink and eat something.
      4. Re-read Allen Carr's book - I'm about 1/2 way through.
      5. Come back here and read around and maybe post again.

I think that's all I should need for today. Let's hope I'm right.

Comment

It's good to hear from you [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION]. Thanks for the post.

It's early on Day 1. My head is already feeling a little clearer just from the ramp down. I'm going to try not to get too far ahead of myself. I'm going to defer that decision for a while and focus on today.

I expect for the menacing drinking thoughts to begin this afternoon and to kick into high gear late afternoon/early evening. Here's my plan for that:

1. Mindfully observe these urges without acting on them.
        2. Exercise or find something else to distract me.
        3. Have a non-alcoholic drink and eat.
        4. Read (I'm about 1/2 way through re-reading Allen Carr's book.)
        5. Come back here and read around and maybe post.

I think that should be enough for today. Let's hope I'm right.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and the post [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION]. I'm going to defer my decision for a little while while I focus on getting some AF time under my belt.

After completing the ramp down with only minor headaches and a little grouchiness, I finished Day 1 yesterday. I substituted a non-alcoholic beverage at drinking time and ate dinner early. That was really all it took yesterday, but I also had these other steps ready to go:

1. Mindfully experience the urge without acting on it.
          2. Exercise or distract myself with some other activity.
          3. Read either Allen Carr's book or read posts here.
          4. Post again here with what's going on.

Repeating the same plan for Day 2.
          Last edited by Sport; March 28, 2017, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION] for the welcome and your post.

I'm wrapping up Day 2. No real issue with the ramp down - a little grouchiness and some headaches aside. Day 1 was fairly easy. Today was tough. Even with a plan, it was a close one. On to Day 3.

Comment

I'm not sure if you're the one deleting your posts [MENTION=23856]Sport[/MENTION] or if it's a glitch in the system? Maybe jump over to the Newbie's Nest?
              Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hi [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION]. Thanks for your posts and your welcome.

It must be a glitch. I'll close this thread and try something else.

Comment

Closing this thread since my posts are being deleted.

Comment

Working...
                  X