Intense anxiety today. Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intense anxiety today. Need help

I drank way too much again yesterday and I know I have to stop. I have an appointment next week with a new doctor that gives Naltrexone shots so I hope she can help me. But today, I don't know how to get through the day without drinking. I am so anxious and full of intense guilt. What can I do or take that will help? I want to see that doctor now!!!

Thanks for any help you can share with me.

Re: Intense anxiety today. Need help

Getting there-- I'm sorry you are going through this. I was there yesterday for sure. My dr won't prescribe benzodiazepines which can help due to slightly elevated liver enzymes. Of course that didn't stop me from overindulging again! My anxiety was due to thinking I'm just killing myself and also because while withdrawing I don't sleep literally one minute. This has happened to me after about 5 binges now and I know how you feel. Perhaps you could go to the ER and tell them you are panicking-- they often will prescribe a few Xanax or something especially if you tell them you've tried to get into a dr already-- then they won't think you are possibly drug seeking. Please know that this is temporary. Good luck

Comment

Sorry you are having such terrible anxiety. I used Calm Fortes and Relax-All to help my anxiety attacks. Both are available at Super Supplements or similar stores. I also drank a lot of Traditional Medicinals Detox Tea with lemon. Anxiety Ease was another natural calming supplement that seemed to help.
      Try to stay hydrated and eat something healthy if you can.
      I suffered through hundreds of those dreadful anxiety/guilt episodes. They are horrible. I am happy to say that since giving up alcohol, my anxiety has all but disappeared.

Comment

I wanted to add that listening to the Bubble Hour helped me through the early stages of my quit. Listening to other alcoholics tell their stories made me feel less alone. Listening also helped distract me from my physical symptoms.
        Take care,
        JM

Comment

Unfortunately Valium is the only thing that can help .Drink plenty of water and avoid coffee ,cigarettes .soft drink. See doc, get blood test & val straight away .Mega B+ and some Thiamine tabs is going to help and L-glut is good during 1st couple of weeks .Bananas help as I had 2 earlier

Only you can end that vicious cycle. I was trapped in that for a couple of months ,"I'll do it tomorrow thing" .It won't be easy. 1st 3 days not so good. I'm now Day 28 AF & NF and I'm still feeling some confusion/brain fog which came in on week 2. I use that to sit on my own and remind me how AL and cigs screwed up my brain and keep me going but if you don't start you can never escape

I will say this. If you are drinking very heavily and can't see anyone I would taper down if you need by buying what you know won't do anything too bad .ie Anything over 12 cans of Beer I was at risk of severe anxiety later on. 16 I'm asking for it. 10 ok but 8 was that for me then do that over the next week cutting back but only get what u need each day and no more .I think it would be silly to recommend straight cold turkey without val or taper if you're a very heavy drinker
          Last edited by Neo; June 7, 2017, 03:45 AM.

Comment

I remember feeling like that. But it did pass. And it helped me just knowing that it was temporary.
            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

I will say as to Neo's advice-- some doctors just won't prescribe many benzos to someone who admits being an addict because they are addictive. If you are in extreme withdrawal I think it's barbaric but they go through a sort of questionnaire and I suppose make a medical judgment. I'm very healthy except for the drinking issue and because my enzymes were slightly up the dr would not prescribe. I also don't think based on my level of drinking she felt I was at danger. Of course I felt like death! But like Litte Beagle noted-- it is temporary and with more days alcohol free your anxiety should really improve. Doing some counseling too does help. Good luck to you! Let us know how you are doing.

Comment

GettingThere - my post may be a little long-winded...I will try and keep it short but felt really compelled to write....
                I've been doing this road. 10000% I've been down there. I held off on quitting drinking for the longest time because I just could NOT deal with my anxiety. I couldn't. I was CRAWLING out of my skin every single day 1 - which led me to cracking and buying another bottle of wine or 12 pack of beer. Sure, the initially feeling/high was sweet "BABY JESUS!!" relief...but...I would wake up again the next day...or in the middle of the night with anxiety that was more crippling than before - if that was even possible.

Every single person is different. I don't know how long you've been drinking or how much...it definitely is best to go and see a doctor. I know that some people can go through very extreme withdrawals that can't be helped without the use of medication - I was able to get off without it so would have to disagree with Neo on that part - BUT...every single one of us is different. So...what should you do? Take it a minute at a time. You can always go to the ER if need be. I know a lot of people may suggest to taper...but I feel like that prolongs it all.

The first 2 months after I quit drinking...it was hell. I mean, I had cravings non-stop. I really didn't think that I would make it past 3 months (TOPS) let alone coming up on 2 years now. The anxiety was just as bad sober as it was drinking...but...only for a little bit of time...until every single day I woke up and it LITERALLY got better and better.
                The booze was making my anxiety worse. SO SO much worse...I knew that it had to stop or it would be the end of me.

You really have to take care of yourself. Honestly, you have to listen to that advice with your entire being. Down to your core. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. One minute at a time. I would say eat healthy but in the beginning I ate as much chocolate and ice cream as I could. Anything to help make me feel better (of course don't binge because that will make things worse). But be GENTLE with yourself. BE KIND. Educate yourself. Stick close to these forums, make sure you have a good support system. Read read read. Journal journal journal. Post post post. Honestly, it will help you. And as some (such as Neo) have suggested...Glutamine helps...Niacin helps (ensure it's the non-flushing kind), magnesium...traditional medicinals like Jackie suggested helps. Bad tv shows. Bubble baths. Etc etc etc.
                All of that honestly helped me out of that black hole.

Anyways - I am sorry that I couldn't offer you more concrete advice. But I just wanted you to know that I have totally been there.
                So care for yourself. See a doctor (as you are). And just take it moment by moment. That's all that you can do. Don't put a lot of pressure on yourself. You will get there. If you TRULY want it...deep down in your heart - then you will find your way. There is no wrong or right way. Just your way...and you'll find it.
                Always here if you need to talk - just PM me.

Take care.
                Bri

Comment

Originally posted by Tidegirl View Post
                  I will say as to Neo's advice-- some doctors just won't prescribe many benzos to someone who admits being an addict because they are addictive. If you are in extreme withdrawal I think it's barbaric but they go through a sort of questionnaire and I suppose make a medical judgment. I'm very healthy except for the drinking issue and because my enzymes were slightly up the dr would not prescribe. I also don't think based on my level of drinking she felt I was at danger. Of course I felt like death! But like Litte Beagle noted-- it is temporary and with more days alcohol free your anxiety should really improve. Doing some counseling too does help. Good luck to you! Let us know how you are doing.
                  My Dr. actually prescribed me Valium because he knows how I use it to stop. He also suggested I use an alcohol taper at the same time. He knows I use software on my phone to track everything I take including me modding it to say I had a shot or a beer. With enough experience in how this works (kindled) I would never suggest this to anyone on their first try. Its extremely dangerous! Unless you know what you are doing and have experience. If you are not eating use dimenhydrinate. Comes as either motion sickness pills, allergy medication and Gravol as we know it in Canada. I agree with Neo if you know what you are doing and have self control and not severe depression. You can die in your sleep. It happens all the time. So without experience do that with caution.
                  "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

If you have concurrent issues like depression I recommend CBT or DBT in combo. And if you are going to use Valium and taper at the same time people for the love of God have someone check you every 20 minutes. These things can kill you so if you are at all suicidal I can see why Valium would not be prescribed. Not a doctor; just well experienced in doing this so many bloody times. Everyone is different.
                    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

[MENTION=3600]gettingthere[/MENTION] Lots of great suggestions and experiences here!...

May I add, running water ~ soft music, binaural beats. A fan on night stand may help with white noise. Helps to calm and may help with sleep. Essential oils like lavender may help. Bach Flower-Rescue Remedy. Avoid caffeine and sugar. Even singing can change hormones and reduce anxiety. A short walk. Stretching vagus nerve helps with anxiety.

Hope your starting to feel a bit better. :hug:

Comment

Thats awesome. I actually record vocal body meditation for people. It will put you to sleep. Makes me sounds like a crack pot. I use a fan on at night often if its to warm otherwise I use highdef waterfall videos from you tube.

Comment

Working...
                        X