Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just starting alc and sugar detox... Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just starting alc and sugar detox... Help!

Long time serial offender here on the seesaw of giving up alc then going back to it.

I've never described myself as an "alcoholic" as such, more of a problem drinker, but that is about to change...

I am now up to one bottle of wine per night (sometimes more, depending). I have found that my tolerance has significantly increased, where I used to struggle to finish a bottle, now I can do it with ease.

The other problem is, due to my gluten intolerance, I have taken to eating (binging) on one litre of ice cream per night, as it is basically the only desert that I can have, apart from the ones that I can make, but I haven't got time to make them.

All of this has equated to one litre of ice cream per night and at least one bottle of wine. I think I have been this way for at least three months, with almost a bottle of wine 4-5 times per week for years preceeding that.

Okay, so this is becoming an EXPENSIVE HABIT! Literally. Not to mention the havoc it is probably playing with my health.

The reason that I drink is that I am lonely. I live alone and I have resigned myself to the fact that alcohol is my partner. It makes me feel warm and secure and takes away the pain for a while. I work odd hours and it is not uncommon for me to return home at 8pm or 9pm... I feel entitled to have some recreation time after work, as opposed to going to bed straight away and it is also a way to ease the isolation by buying a bottle of wine on the way home. I am currently seeking a more balanced job with more day time hours.

Last week, I went full detox on sugar and alcohol for two days. That's all I lasted. I've detoxed off sugar before and the headaches were amazing, but this recent detox was "next level". The headache actually HURT my head and felt like there were reverse plyers inside my skull, expanding and ripping it apart. This thing woke me up at 2.30am and I was unable to go back to sleep. It also gave me massive anxiety, like i was about to have an anxiety attack. After two days of this, on day 3, i folded and bought alcohol and ice cream.

I have now decided to give this a whirl again, beginning today.

My dilemma is that because I need to be gluten free, i have to put a lot of thought in to my diet.

I've decided that I need a high-protein breakfast each day - eggs, vegies, seeds etc and I'll probably have a green smoothie. So uninteresting, but necessary if I am to move forward into this.

I'll need a high protein lunch, probably a chicken or tuna salad and I'll probably need a high protein dinner each night, such as fish and vegies.

Lots of water, seeds and dips snacks. I think that's about it.

I know that Day 1 is usually okay, as you have residual sugar in your bloodstream and the real detox symptoms only begin on Day 2.

I am in a position where I do not have to work if I do not want to (can take multiple days off with no explanation).

My dilemma is... Would I be better going through this detox and not working for a few days? I have today off, Day 1, so that is not an issue.

I could also perhaps work a few hours per afternoon when the real detox kicks in.

My concerns are that if I am at home during the detox and cravings, that boredom and over-thinking might drive me back to alcohol and sugar (I have great justification mechanisms in my mind, I am an expert at justifying WHY it is okay to have one more drink, or buy that ice-cream).

On the other hand, having a few days off during the horrible period would allow me the chance to sleep, relax and eat properly. I'd just have to get through that 6pm-8pm period, which is the loneliest for me when I am at home by myself and am most likely to drink.

I've realised at the deep root of my addictions is a failure to accept myself for ME and a lot of reluctance and hesitation in moving forward. That emotional void is ALWAYS going to be there so long as I keep filling it with binge eating and drinking alcohol. It is like my "soul" (for want of a better word) is screaming at me and I am not listening. It is a very scary time, because I will have to face all those inadequacies once I quit drinking and sugar (filling that void with stimulants if you will). I know that last time I went detox, i felt terrible and the extent of my internal torture really came to the fore and it was very difficult to deal with.

I am not looking for any support, or not too much anyway. But some funny experiences or helpful advice on how to go about detox at home would be great. I don't have any supports for this in my offline life, as nobody knows about this problem.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Change; January 27, 2019, 05:43 PM.
    One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Re: Just starting alc and sugar detox... Help!

Originally posted by Change View Post
    I've realised at the deep root of my addictions is a failure to accept myself for ME and a lot of reluctance and hesitation in moving forward. That emotional void is ALWAYS going to be there so long as I keep filling it with binge eating and drinking alcohol. It is like my "soul" (for want of a better word) is screaming at me and I am not listening. It is a very scary time, because I will have to face all those inadequacies once I quit drinking and sugar (filling that void with stimulants if you will). I know that last time I went detox, i felt terrible and the extent of my internal torture really came to the fore and it was very difficult to deal with.
    Hiya Change.

Yes, your soul and your truth are screaming out at you giving you a clear message. Change now, or more suffering. That was my experience. Rest and distraction, reading up on what your body's going through and what can be expected down the track etc. A week off work makes sense at this time to me.

Knowledge is power and can take away some of the fear when we are rebuilding ourselves. There are hundreds of online forums with people going through the same thing, so should be plenty of info and idea's out there.

Is some sort of medically supervised detox a better option? Take care of yourself.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Take some time off and treat yourself like you have the flu,lots of water,rest,etc most of the time when I've detoxed I've been too tired to do much else anyway, good luck to you and welcome
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, [MENTION=3075]Change[/MENTION]! That’s a good idea to quit the alcohol now before your tolerance goes any higher than it already is -people can get up to 2 or more bottles of wine a day, and then it gets even harder to quit!

You do need a treat of some sort of time to wind down after work before bed. Are you able to sometimes pick up some gluten-free dinner to take home after work, like Indian or Chinese or Mexican food? Or have a bowl of popcorn with a movie? A warm bath, a phone call...something fun & relaxing for a hour or two.

Unfortunately it’s very hard to quit both alcohol & sugar at the same time. You might have a better chance at success if you get off the wine first, and use the ice cream to support yourself through that quit.

You can’t have gluten, but can you include things like potatoes, rice, and corn tortillas in your meals?

Anyways, baby steps! Welcome, Change!
        Last edited by Slo; January 27, 2019, 09:22 PM.
        Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Hi Change and welcome back.

i would just stop the wine for the time being and be gentle with yourself. The ice cream is nothing compared to the wine. I know my sugar intake went through the roof when i stopped drinking but that was ok as long as i didnt drink. I was a two bottle a day drinker and onto the third.

The only plan you need to make for the first few weeks is to distract yourself during that witching hour/s. i watched a lot of you tube documentaries on alcoholism and a tonne of netflix and showered a lot and drank a lot of tea. If we try and do too much to change then we will cave in as we are putting an abundant amount of pressure on ourselves to change our habits. Change comes with time.
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Originally posted by available View Post
            welcome back.
            "Welcome back"... For about the tenth time!

Yes, you're right available and Slo mentioned this as well.

I'll go low sugar, but staying off the wine has to happen now.

I've made it through the first day with no wine. So far, not too bad. A little despondent and sad.. Will be interesting to see how i go tomorrow with regards to mood and symptoms.

My plan is to go wine-free for 5-7 days, then hit the sugar detox (and of course, stay off the wine).

I think the sugar part will be harder than the wine part.

Thanks for your replies everyone .
            Last edited by Change; January 28, 2019, 05:31 AM.
            One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Hi, Change--

I'll join the chorus - for me, ice cream got me through the evenings. Along with writing/reading here, sobriety blogs, watching YouTube videos, hot baths and lots of hikes while listening to the Bubble Hour podcast. Maybe a smaller thing of ice cream? Some dark chocolate or something sweet with less sugar? Frozen yogurt? I don't eat gluten much (I don't have an allergy, I just find I can keep my weight down without pasta and bread!), and there are a ton of products without gluten. I like eating sweet potatoes - filling and sweet. I also find dishes with some meat and a lot of veggies. NoSugar should have a lot of good advice for you.

Maybe post in the Newbies Nest as well. More people visit up there. There aren't a lot of people posting on this site anymore, so you'll find more support in one of the busier threads.

Pav

Comment

Hi, Chance. It sounds like you've recognized that you have 2 serious problems to address.

I've had to cut both sugar and alcohol out of my life. I did the former first and my drinking escalated. Then, after I quit drinking, I had the seemingly paradoxical situation that when I activated that part of my brain by allowing in some junky carbs, it made me want to drink MORE. So at this point, I'm totally off alcohol and 97% off sugar and non-vegetable carbs.

That may need to be your long-term goal. However, I think your odds of success are greater if you are at least 30 days off alcohol (and maybe more) before you tackle the sugar/carb addiction. There might be some useful information for you in this thread: https://www.mywayout.org/community/g...challenge.html

All the best, NS

Comment

Working...
                X