X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New again...

...osteroops:

Old story, old story-teller!

I've been here before, as well as other places. Mostly I've wanted to quit being an alcoholic/problem drinker without actually stopping drinking...

So I've tried moderation, I've tried meds, I've tried drinking at a baseline above modding but below black-out drunk... Sometimes I've even stopped drinking for various amounts of time, but it's never stuck (obviously).

Clearly I have to face up to the fact that the only way to quit drinking is to actually quit.

So here I am. I will start following in Newbie's Nest and very glad to do so. Thanks for being here!!!!!
    :thanks:

Re: New again...

Welcome FeralPuppy!
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Welcome!

If you want more action and support, join the Newbies Nest thread.

On my day one of real quitting I was afraid - afraid I couldn't do it, but mostly afraid of losing my "good" friend alcohol. I had no idea who I was without it, or how I would ever have fun again. I am here on the other side to tell you that your life will change and improve in ways you can't even imagine. I am so grateful for being free. But for now, focus on one day at a time. What is your plan for the evening "witching hour?" Is the booze out of the house? Do you have a supportive spouse or friend? What do you need or want from us?

Take good care of yourself today - eat, cry, write, take a walk, eat some more - and don't drink, no matter what.

You got this!
      Pav

Comment

Thanks Paulywogg and Pavati.

Pavati - alcohol hasn't been my good friend for a loooooong time.

I've been aiming for AF for quite some time. 3.5 years ago I started a long-distance relationship with a non-drinker. We were 4-5 hours apart (minimum) and I chose to pretty much stay AF when we were together. This involved a light tapering off before visits and an AF evening immediately prior, plus largely AF for the few days/2-3 weeks we would spend together. In January I moved a lot closer, 1.5-2 hours apart but same routine. I know I should stop now because I'm not actually the moderate drinker I've painted myself to be - although the last few years has seen a HUGE decrease in my drinking. The last 6 months or so I've been around 15 drinks per week on average with these regular AF periods. I really don't know what that all means for how easy it will be to quit entirely. Will it be easier or the same? I donut know. I've been a very heavy drinker for most of the last 40 years.

My plans involve a couple of SMART Recovery meetings a week and becoming more involved in my new city. Witching hour will be tough of course. As *relatively* not extreme as my drinking has been lately, it has been no less compulsive. Weirdly.

Coincidentally, my two kids moved to this city at around the same time as me. They are the only family I have, but we are very close. My daughter wants to also largely eliminate drinking from her life and they will both be very supportive. I do have ... ahem ... that slight ... ahem ... dishonesty with my partner ...

I have significant physical disabilities that make finding work tough. I do have a part time job right now and enough income and savings to get by but it's a bit precarious. So yeah, some supports, some obstacles, and some of them both things at the same time. If that makes sense…

Again, thanks Pavati. I will eat, not cry, write, walk my feral rescue puppy, eat some more, and not drink!

Comment

Welcome to Groundhog Day. Did just that for 15 day ones. Finally cut the crap and ditched the booze for good! Hope you can too!
          Is Addiction Really a Disease?
          Watch this and find out....
          http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

Hi Feral

The big steps sounds to be quitting completely and that scared me sh*tless when i stopped but as with sober time, it only gets better. You will find there arent enough hours in the day to do what you want, you will save money and you will love yourself again.

We were all big on deceit and lying when we drank. I was never as bad as what people thought, i was worse! I could write a book on justifying why i drank but i drank to escape. Now i want to live each and every day to the best of my ability.

Get your daughter on board and take it one day at a time. Moderation does not work for us and we have all tried, numerous times. Try for 30 days and see how you feel.

I am 30 days smoke free and god its hard but i have finally, after many relapses taken on the same attitude of when i stopped drinking. Get through those cravings, distract myself, exercise and eat. Its getting easier and i have a lot of support also.

You can do this. See you in the nest!
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Thanks 4theboyz - eventually it comes time to cut the crap. And we drinkers are so good at crap!

Thanks also available. Good for you for smoke free! I've never been a smoker but I understand that it's a very tough quit. Daughter is on board here - we spent witching hour walking our dogs along the mighty Ottawa River, looking over to the French side. Feeling sorry for all the flooded folks. Sheesh, what a mess.

Comment

I so relate. I first joined here in 2008. If I felt I needed to quit then, I certainly do now. Here's to day 1.
                Goal 1: Today
                Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Be kind to yourself today, [MENTION=24390]Buzzkill[/MENTION]. You’d be welcome to post in the Newbies Nest and let us know how we can best help you. Take care, NS

Comment

Working...
                  X