so has lockdown helped anyone on here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so has lockdown helped anyone on here

by forcingly keeping them out of a bar or stopping them leave the house so much to buy drink?

Re: so has lockdown helped anyone on here

Kev, in my very humble and very personal opinion, if someone REALLY wants to stop drinking, they don't need either a lockdown or restrictions of any kind to help them. They will find the way, by using whatever tools are available to them either online or in their community and by listening to the invaluable advice of the members here who have achieved and maintain sobriety. The key is making the decision that AL is no longer a part of our lives. Once our mind is made up, then we can move ahead to a healthier life without alcohol. Again, my own personal opinion. Said at just over 4-1/2 years sober....
    For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
    AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

I know. But just saying that bars being shut must help some people. It's 50% of where people buy their alcohol from, with the other being shops.

Comment

Originally posted by scotskev81 View Post
        I know. But just saying that bars being shut must help some people. It's 50% of where people buy their alcohol from, with the other being shops.
        Curious to know where you get your figures from.

British pubs are disappearing. Here'''s why
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Just that when people drink they go out or stay in.

Comment

Originally posted by scotskev81 View Post
            Just that when people drink they go out or stay in.
            Scotty - not sure what that means.
            Would be interesting to know if alcohol sales have gone up in off-licences & supermarkets since lockdown of pubs.

My husband went to Cheltenham - and as a punishment Ireland closed all the pubs when they came back :haha:
            He hasn't had a drink since March 12th in UK ......he loves the pub. As do a lot of Irish people.
            I thought they would go 'round with a black armbands - or take to the streets like in some US states ( !!) but no - most seem fine. But then most are not addicted to alcohol
            & can take it or leave it.
            Unlike us folks who post on MWO.

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
              Scotty - not sure what that means.
              Would be interesting to know if alcohol sales have gone up in off-licences & supermarkets since lockdown of pubs.

My husband went to Cheltenham - and as a punishment Ireland closed all the pubs when they came back :haha:
              He hasn't had a drink since March 12th in UK ......he loves the pub. As do a lot of Irish people.
              I thought they would go 'round with a black armbands - or take to the streets like in some US states ( !!) but no - most seem fine. But then most are not addicted to alcohol
              & can take it or leave it.
              Unlike us folks who post on MWO.
              yes exactly what I was thinking. Even some normal drinkers are stopping.

A point worth remembering is that every alcoholic started out as a normal drinker.

Comment

Maybe the casual drinkers who aren't addicted to alcohol and only go to the pub for the social time have quit/cut back, for the problem drinkers I dunno, I did read that here in the US the alcohol sales rates have risen 100/200% depending on the area, at least someone is making money during this time I guess
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by paulywogg View Post
                  Maybe the casual drinkers who aren't addicted to alcohol and only go to the pub for the social time have quit/cut back, for the problem drinkers I dunno, I did read that here in the US the alcohol sales rates have risen 100/200% depending on the area, at least someone is making money during this time I guess
                  the shops must be delivering loads to people or it is being picked up by people.

If a person can only dash to the supermarket to get food and not pick up any drink, they will do well.

Comment

Hi Kev,

How are u going mate? I reckon many of the problem drinkers out there would likely be going harder than usual if they now have more time on their hands. If you've lost your job, the pressure/stress and uncertainty of the future drives many to drink anyway, let alone if your world is crumbling around you. Many are struggling here in Oz. Many are keeping it together too. But problem drinkers do what problem drinkers do - drink more not less.

The mental health fall out due to loss of income, job, identity will be difficult for many.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
                      Hi Kev,

How are u going mate? I reckon many of the problem drinkers out there would likely be going harder than usual if they now have more time on their hands. If you've lost your job, the pressure/stress and uncertainty of the future drives many to drink anyway, let alone if your world is crumbling around you. Many are struggling here in Oz. Many are keeping it together too. But problem drinkers do what problem drinkers do - drink more not less.

The mental health fall out due to loss of income, job, identity will be difficult for many.
                      hi. am doing fine thanks. more than 3 weeks sober and only drank a little before that. decided not to drink again until I can go to a bar or if am allowed to have people round the house. Even then, might just wait for the bar.

I am hoping some people run their wells dry during the lockdown and just find a way to refuse to buy any more. LIke i said, dash to the supermarket but don't go near the alcohol counter,, then go home and isolate and do anything you want as there's no drink in the house.

Eaiser said than done but if you can avoid the actual purchase of alcohol then there's no where else to drink.

Comment

[MENTION=21863]scotskev81[/MENTION]

decided not to drink again until I can go to a bar or if am allowed to have people round the house. Even then, might just wait for the bar.
                        In Ireland here we love our bars. But the thinking now is the Irish pub is a thing of the past till 2021 - public houses will be last on the list to have restrictions lifted.
                        But I'm not sure that's good thing because the change to a 'drinking at home nation' is not what the country needs either.
                        Dunno really.

But Scotty - how serious are you about quitting drink completely?
                        You say you are a pub man - this is the ideal time to quit altogether would you agree ?

I am hoping some people run their wells dry during the lockdown and just find a way to refuse to buy any more.
                        Now maybe I'm thick - but why are you worried about others' wells drying up ? Do you have others drinking in your house ? And you'd like them to stop ?
                        Last edited by satz123; April 26, 2020, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
                          [MENTION=21863]scotskev81[/MENTION]

In Ireland here we love our bars. But the thinking now is the Irish pub is a thing of the past till 2021 - public houses will be last on the list to have restrictions lifted.
                          But I'm not sure that's good thing because the change to a 'drinking at home nation' is not what the country needs either.
                          Dunno really.

But Scotty - how serious are you about quitting drink completely?
                          You say you are a pub man - this is the ideal time to quit altogether would you agree ?

Now maybe I'm thick - but why are you worried about others' wells drying up ? Do you have others drinking in your house ? And you'd like them to stop ?

no your not thick. I live alone but I was thinking of other people on this forum or people who are struggling.

I don't think i'm going to give up because I am looking forward to getting back out to bars.

Comment

Good work on 3 weeks sober Kev. Stay well and take care of yourself.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
                              Good work on 3 weeks sober Kev. Stay well and take care of yourself.
                              Thank you. Can't say i'm not bored but then again there is no where to go so it's not as if I'm sitting at home while other people are out enjoying themselves. :-)
                              Also not getting any texts asking me to go for a pint or come watch the match, because there aren't any of either.

Comment

Working...
                              X