Worried about my stomach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worried about my stomach

I'm still cramping. I thought it was from the anitbiotics because it happened 7 days after I had been taking them, and it subsided somewhat after 3 days, but now I'm still having some intestinal stress. Is it possible that I have an ulcer from all the years of AL? Why is it showing up now after nearly three months AF?

Anyone else had these symptoms and/or an ulcer? My funds are limited and every doctor I've spoken with will not see me immediately (even if I had the money), and the emergency room is out of the question.

"I like people too much or not at all."
    Sylvia Plath

Worried about my stomach

Hi LG -
    My stomach was recently a mess for about 4 weeks, I won't go into too much description because that would not be pretty. Let's just say I was exhausted and almost dehydrated. I thought it was my anti-depressant so my doctor switched me. It turns out (through my own experiments) that my vitamins were causing it, because I was (like a dumb dumb) taking them on an empty stomach. Now I have a cup of yogurt with them every day. I think the yogurt is actually doing something really good for my stomach too. Have you tried that Activia yogurt? Any kind will work actually. I like Greek. Well I've managed to go on and on and on again...sorry. Hopefully you can find something to ease up the pain, I know it's horrible!
    K9

p.s. Honey works on a variety of ailments too...try some in tea, or on toast.
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Worried about my stomach

LG if you suspect you have an ulcer you need to see a doctor, in the early stages it can be treated with meds, otherwise things can get very nasty and dangerous if you leaveit. its better to be safe than sorry

Comment

Worried about my stomach

Hi LibraryGirl,:l

I am soooo sorry you're feeling so badly.:upset: I've never had an ulcer but it might be the residual effects of the antibiotics. Antibiotics mess up my system big time. K9 is right about Greek yogurt....it's very good for you, and I would also try the process of elimination....eliminating one thing from your diet every day. You could also try Acidophilas, which puts natural bacteria back in your body. My 85-year-old mother is prone to GI problems, and has been for many years, so she takes it and has success with it. My natural health practitioner recommended it. Also, try cooked noodles or white rice.

Isn't it Day 25 or 26 AF for you?:goodjob: Wow, we're close to 30 days. Time for a sober celebration.

You're such a bright addition to MWO and I hate that you aren't feeling well. Stomach/intestinal discomforts are the worst, aren't they? I've had IBS since I was 4 so how well I know how badly you feel. I've been hospitalized 3 times because of it.

Spaceb is right as well. Don't let this go on too long. Please let us know how you're doing....and PM me if I can do anything for you.

Comment

Worried about my stomach

Thank you everyone. If I didn't feel so bad, I would have gone to the store for some yogurt (or if I had a nice enough bf, he would have). Just been dealing with it. Will definitely get some tomorrow.

I think it's day 24, but I said nearly three months because I only drank a rather small amount on 3 occasions, so not to try and cheat on my record, but in the interest of my intestines they should not have been affected by those times.

Thanks again for your kindness and advice. I'm watching Vampire Diaries on Netflix (never had seen it!), and chilling on my bed. Hope to be feeling much better tomorrow.

LG

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Worried about my stomach

Actually, Liberty Girl you will be glad to know that alcohol does not cause gastric ulcers. Nor does spicy foods for that matter. GERD (heartburn) is another story though!

As Rusty said above, the antibiotics may have wiped your natural flora. Seven days is how long it takes for that to happen. People who have compromised immune systems are more susceptible to this. Yogurt, especially like Activa, can help restore your body's flora.

Comment

Worried about my stomach

/
              Reflect upon your present blessingings, of which every man has many; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some

Comment

Worried about my stomach

antibiotics always mess with my stomach, as others have said get some yoghurt with live cultures in it or some acidophilis capsules. It can take weeks of probiotics to get your stomach right again after being on antibiotics.

Comment

Worried about my stomach

Hey LibraryGirl...I had to pipe in here about the antibiotics. Are you still taking them? Are you still having the intestinal issues and cramping? If so, please see your Dr about that. When my son was 5, he started having intestinal symptoms and cramping after taking Keflex for strep. After stopping the Keflex, the symptoms continued. I'm talking diarrhea 20+ times in a day. Nasty smelling also (sorry if TMI). I insisted on a stool analysis and it was determined he had Clostridium Difficile (a.k.a. C. Diff). It is a bacteria that can take over in the intestines when the good bacteria is wiped out with antibiotics. The good bacteria keeps the C.Diff in check. Some people (like my son) apparently have C. Diff naturally in their gut. Some people (like folks in hospitals or nursing homes) can contract C. Diff as it is contagious. My son was probably about 1 day away from a hospital visit for IV fluids and a possible colostomy, because this C. Diff basically eats out your colon.

Sorry for all the gross details...but if you are suffering please insist on your doctor checking for this via stool sample. My son's doctor refused at first saying "only old people in nursing homes get C. Diff". I am glad I insisted. If they determine that is what it is, there is a remedy...called Flagyl. He was a new kid after his first dose of that.

Hope you feel better...and soon!
                  BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Worried about my stomach

Everyone has different ideas about what might be wrong with me. I get scared every time I consider something new, lol. I am actually unable to use the bathroom (TMI!), and having extreme cramps as if I need to go and fast! But no cigar.

Starting on the Activia. Wish me luck. Thank you Belle Girl.

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Worried about my stomach

That sounds very uncomfortable and painful, I hope you get some relief fast xx
                      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Worried about my stomach

Please take probiotics, the highest amount , it will cure your stomach

Comment

Worried about my stomach

Thanks spiderweb. I am finally cured lol. It took over two weeks, but I finally feel normal. I have no doubt in my mind that the amoxicillan is what caused it. I will never take those again. What a nightmare!

Thanks everyone for the replies and concern. I'm good now.

LG

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Worried about my stomach

LibraryGirl:l,

I am soooo glad you are feeling better. Amoxcicillan (sp?) is NASTY. I took it once, in 2009. Lost it at both ends while driving. UGH. SpiderWeb is right on about the probiotics. I have had irritable bowel syndrome since I was 4. Probiotics have helped me immensely, and helped to heal my stomach and guts after 3.5 years of daily drinking.

Thanks for checking in with us....I was going to PM you today if I didn't see you post. BTW, I love love love South Carolina. I have a client in Sumter, and fly into Columbia. My sister and I went to Charleston in 2010 and had a fabulous time. Lucky LibraryGirl, that you live in a wonderful, beautiful place.

Comment

Worried about my stomach

Stomach issues have resurfaced. I've been reading about ppl quitting AL and going thru much the same crap. No pun intended. Off to buy probiotics tomorrow, STAT!

Sylvia Plath

Comment

Working...
                              X