Simple living

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mossy, my mom is 88 and suffers terribly
    From leg cramps! :-(. What dosage and brand do you take every night?

Thanks!

Comment

Hiya neighbor. Always nice to see you. I use a product called Natural Calm. I take about 1/2 tsp in water at night. I also have a magnesium oil spray that I use each morning after my shower. It makes a great natural deodorant. (see above) I'll PM you with a list of local places where you can find it.
      Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Moss - those are all very good points.
        I wonder if there is a natural hairspray type product. I can see the damage it does to my bathrrom counters, walls etc. What is is doing to my lungs?

Comment

Beachy - I would guess that it isn't good for your lungs. I'll do some research and see if we can come up with a better solution.

My post tonight is totally off-topic, but that's how my mind works. Please bear with me. Journaling. Anyone doing it? What has it done for your life? I decided that I am going to start a journal for the next year and record everything. I want to record this next year, and see if the changes I am making make a difference. I have my friends on board. Any time they help me in my quest to simplify, they are keeping a record of the labor, costs, etc. I have realized that there is an outlay of cash required to live simply (freezer, seeds, dehydrator, etc.)

So if you are already keeping a journal/vision book, I would love to hear about it. I know I am doing this backwards. I'm supposed to create a vision board first, and then make it happen. In my case, I've decided to just journal my life, and see where it leads. I can't wait to read back this time next year.

Looking forward to any input.
          Last edited by MossRose; March 25, 2015, 06:15 PM.

Comment

on your 8 month milestone today Moss!
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Thanks, Cowboy!! In honor of today, I visited a craft fair and bought some beautifully crafted soaps. This woman is a true artist. It was a great way to start the day. Now I'm tackling junk drawers. I have a few too many drawers full of stuff. I hope to get it all organized this weekend. Once that's done, I'm moving on to the bathroom cabinets, and under the kitchen sink (scary). I want all toxic products out of my home. Then I'll replace them all with homemade, non-toxic alternatives. This is really getting fun!! I can't say I am saving any money yet, but I can see that I will in the future. I just have to get everything switched over first.

Comment

Moss - yeah!!! That is wonderful!! And your day sounds perfect!
                I managed to pick up some lovely eggs today - look how pretty! and some unflitered honey....
                11060986_10153081007779718_6507987104197275945_n.jpg
                “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

SL - those eggs are so colorful and beautiful. I bet they are delicious. Oh, and honey too!! I was just talking to a coworker about allergies and honey. She swears that eating local honey has helped her. I think it's time for a trip to the local honey store. I also need to pick up some beeswax for a couple of projects so glad I can support a local business.

I managed to get through both bathroom cabinets and under the kitchen sink this weekend. I couldn't believe how much stuff I had accumulated in just over two years. That's why I was so quiet yesterday on MWO - I was on a mission. LOL. Here's a photo of my cleaned-up bathroom cabinet. I wish I had taken a "before" picture. It was awful...full of old meds (script and OTC), expired salves, empty jars, and just oodles of junk. Now it's the new home for my essential oils collection. I like the way it turned out. Plus, now I know what I have. I've been into aromatherapy for many years, but my oils were scattered all over the house. No more!! Now, I consider this a true medicine cabinet.

20150329_100519.jpg

Comment

MR - that cupboard looks lovely - I am starting to use oils, so far just lavender but liking it! May need to look into more.
                    I do but local honey for my eldest daughters allergies - I was suggesting she started with a teaspoon of it daily as she is a mess with allergies just now. You have to ensure that the honey is very local so that the pollen comes from same plants that are triggering allergies. I do ask for honey from the hives around in case they have hives in other areas...
                    I buy stuff and keep for a while before starting - just started with the true calm and took it last two nights. I have fallen asleep after my alarm both mornings...and last night no cramps in my feet which will be heaven if it lasts, but this morning I am so dizzy! Almost as if I got up too quickly, but it is not going away....I am a blond, but not a dizzy blond! Coul dthis be related to the magnesium? Luckily I am not driving out of twon today as I am not sure I could drive far...

Comment

Hey Mossy - that looks like a job well done. It feel so good to clean something like that doesnt it. I did my dresser drawers a few weeks ago. I started folding them the Kondo method.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
                      Book by Marie Kondo

Man is it nice to have neat drawers. Funny how it can make you feel. Google some of her videos on youtube.

Comment

ps - I love Lavender in my bath...
                        What other aromatherapies can you give us advice on Moss Rose?

Comment

Moss, great looking cabinet! I have a few "Oh Jesus" drawers myself, if you're not too busy....lol If I recall you were thinking about getting into homemade butter, how did you make out with that?
                          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

SL - oh dear. If you think you are reacting to the magnesium, please stop taking it. Here's a link that has some information. It looks like it can cause dizziness if you are taking calcium channel blockers. http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed...ment/magnesium. However, I also found many sites that say dizziness is a sign of low magnesium levels. hmmm?? But that doesn't change the fact that you seem to have reacted to it. Please be careful. The only symptom I had from taking a bit too much was a queasy stomach. So I would advise asking a professional before you take more of it.

I will ask my local beekeeper for very local honey Thanks for the tip. Many of us at work have been complaining a lot lately about allergies. I'm going to share this info with them.

Beachy - yes!! Clean drawers makes the energy in your home flow, doesn't it? I am not familiar with the Kondo method. I can't wait to check it out.

As far as oils, I use mine daily. But again, I am cautious. They are extremely powerful, and many are toxic if taken internally. I give them as gifts at times, and am always careful to warn folks to keep them away from animals and children. A few drops usually do the trick. Lavender is a great oil to start with. Very calming, and heals skin issues. (Always cut essential oils with a carrier oil - almond, jojoba, olive, etc.) Few oils can be used neat without causing problems. I love my diffuser. A girlfriend gave me a beautiful one this last summer, and it's gotten a great deal of use. I change the oil with my mood. And there is nothing better than a few drops of essential oils in your bath. However, don't use strong ones like peppermint, or citrus - they can burn. I like lavender, chamomile, frankincense, or ylang ylang. They are calming and help me sleep. When I am coming down with a cold, I use eucalyptus in my shower and mister.

Be careful - aromatherapy can be addictive. hahaha.
                            Last edited by MossRose; April 4, 2015, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Hi - thanks MR for the advice - I also did some research. I love the no cramps, so I cut my starting does in half and am on about a quarter of a tsp and that seems to work. I will try a little longer and see how it goes.
                              I have two diffusers - one in my bathroom and a lavender one by my bed - think I need one for my office now. I have been putting some oil in my hair at bed too - I have curly hair and it needs the moisture - it is so soft now! I can see ho wit is addicting.
                              Well, tomatoes planted - and all were "volunteers" from last years fallen ones. It is supposed to rain tomorrow so very timely to get them set. I have lots left over if anyone wants to stop by and get - sungold - sweet tiny orange ones.
                              Happy Easter all...

Comment

SL - I would love to have a diffuser at work, but am afraid of "offending" a co-worker. I don't have an office. I dwell in a cube. Or as we call it - our stall. I do have a small humidifier on my desk and have thought often about putting a few drops of essential oil in there, but I keep chickening out. My coworkers are great, and they know about my love of aromatherapy, but I don't want to end up in HR. haha.

I'll take some of your sungold tomatoes. They are delicious. Too bad we are 10 states away from each other.

I was looking up ways to preserve herbs today, and saw a blog that said you can just wash them, dry them well (overnight), and then vacuum seal them and put them in the freezer. I'm still not sure about that. It would beat dried herbs in the winter, but I haven't heard of this before. Anyone tried that? Just curious. It sure would be the easiest choice.
                                Last edited by MossRose; April 7, 2015, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X