No announcement yet.

One Step at at a Time - September 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petunia is my fourth dachshund, and in many ways is very un-dachshund-like, in a good way. My first was a senior dog named Edith. She was great around me, but I had to be careful with her around people she didn't know because she would bite. Very prickly dog. Then I had Leia and Trooper, who continue to live with my ex. They love climbing into the front window and barking, sometimes at nothing. Petunia is very low key in comparison. She hardly ever barks, except for right before she gets fed. My AC guy commented on how laid back she is compared to my ex's dogs. She did bark at the Sears guy who came to fix the refrigerator, and he turned out to be kind of a dick. Maybe she's really good at reading people. I did have a really sweet min-pin named Crystal, but at this point I am pretty much breed loyal to dachshunds. They have such personality.

The hurricane is for the most part now Georgia's and the Carolinas's problem. Today is going to be windy, though.
    First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

All the sandbags held...just lots of tree debris all over.....so now we are in clean up mode. Central Georgia is getting hit hard.
      aihfl, my SIL has a daschund named Dolly...
      I am going to enjoy the three day weekend!
      bacinabit...love you too Techie!
      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Hi Steppers! Happy Friday and for those of us in the states Happy Long Weekend.

Tough day yesterday. My 14 year old lost one of his basketball buddies to an accidental drowning. He was a great kid. We are all grieving.

My ray of hope in all this is that I was able to be present. In the past, I would have needed to drink to numb the pain. I (hope) due to the Nal, I was able to be there for him and just hang out. He didn't want to do anything or talk about it, of course, and then about 8pm he wanted ice cream. In the past, I would have had him go to the grocery store for ice cream and I would have purchased another bottle. Not so last night. We drove to a busy ice cream shop, hung out outside, and then played mini-golf at his suggestion. I even ATE an ice cream sundae and it was GOOD. So much more came out when we were out of the house . . . instead of (some shame feelings coming up here) me slugging down the wine in the kitchen in the past and him hanging out alone down the basement.

Ok, mixed feelings but I just needed to get that out. I guess I can't reflect too much on the past but need to celebrate the baby steps forward. I truly did not want to drink and that is the good part.

Sorry, all about me, more later - AG

Comment

AG, good for you. You were there for him when he needed you. That's just what he needed. Don't worry about the past, just keep adding up all those positives. Sorry about the young man who died. That is heartbreaking.

Mama, glad you guys are ok. I know that clean up is no fun.

TMH, sounds like you guys fared ok. You do know it's headed my way now, right in time for my Labor Day BBQ! Whatever, we'll just bring it indoors. I have been doing these BBQ pretty much every year since Mark was born and I don't ever remember having it indoors. It will be fine. We have much to celebrate!:sohappy: BIL got another job offer today! This one pays significantly more than the one he got the other day. Plus we will celebrate Marks birthday and CJ and joes engagement. It's all good on my end.

Aihfl the picture of petunia is precious! Tell her I'm sorry she had to put on the slicker for the picture, I hope she understands. We do love our fur babies. I had a toy poodle when I was growing up, Teddy. Teddy was madly in love with a dachshund named Goldie. There was another little poodle across the street that Teddy wouldn't even acknowledge but oh he loved his Goldie!

Pauly, you should visit Florida sometime. I bet you don't even know what humidity feels like? Wonder if that would help your allergies? Feel better.

love you all.

Comment

Thanks Liz!!! It has been a really really rough week. The kids all went out to the beach tonight. They are all dealing with it differently, which is to be expected. It is super hard on us parents too. Like I said, he was an awesome kid and you just have a hard time believing he is gone.

I'm glad our Florida folks have fared well so far. Liz, hopefully the weather will not wreck your plans for the weekend!!

Pauly, what's new with the baby? Louie? Hoping all is well.

Nora, how is your mom? Is she still sleeping a lot?

SK, Rusty, Techie, Mama, give us a health/job update when you can.

Thanks, you guys are the best - AG
            Last edited by actiongirl46; September 3, 2016, 12:07 AM.

Comment

AG, may I ask how the young man drowned? Was it at the beach and that's why they all went there? I would imagine that would be very healing for them then.

hermines clouds are rolling in. The forecast here changes almost hourly. I guess I will just have to play it by ear. I don't know if you guys know me well enough but I am a planner and don't leave things for the last minute, but I guess sometimes we just need to roll with the punches. Going to clean today and give Lucy a much needed bath. She was off the hook for most of the week because of the laundry room overhaul. Happy AF Saturday!

Comment

AG, so happy you were there for your son. What a tragedy!

Was contacted this week from a former classmate as it is our 50th h.s. class reunion in Oct. We had a good hour long chat. I sent in my form saying "not attending". She added me to the FB page. After reading it this morning, I feel nostalgic, esp. since I learned a guy I had a crush on like in 5th grade passed away. Out of approx 280 classmates, we have lost over 50. Now I'm feeling torn. I no longer have any family left in town I graduated from, but I do have family in MN. Also, learned original date was Aug 6th. Somehow Holiday Inn double booked and we lost that date. That would have been a no-brainer as that is my dh b.d. (in fact, last day I drank), my b.d. in Aug, stepdaughter's, grandson's. We would have made it a week - 10 day vacation. Will think about it over weekend; may change my mind.

Ok, off to do final clearing out of our condo. Glad I feel like doing it, rather than oh, gosh, did I have to schedule that for today? LOL

Hope things work out fine for you, Liz. We got sunshine by last night in southern end of state. Beautiful day today. Stay safe!
                The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

Hey all, AG,I got so distracted by cute little Petunia I totally forgot to say how sorry I was for the young man his family, man how do you get past that? Liz I hope you don't get hit too hard by the storm,tired this morning and don't feel like working! I hate working on Saturday but then I don't know what I'd do around here all day either, I hope we all have a great AF Saturday, back later
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good morning everyone. Mr. Sunshine returned today after being absent for the better part of a week. I could sleep in this morning, so I took a doxepin in addition to my regular nighttime meds since I've been having problems falling asleep over the past week. The warning label on the bottle should read, "don't make any plans," and it did it's job well. I fell asleep fast and only vaguely recall waking up once to pull a blanket on me. I woke up still a little groggy but a 10 mile bike ride and a big breakfast (I bought a bag of grits at the farmers market in North Georgia - grocery store grits just aren't going to do it anymore) took care of that.

I saw a great movie on a date last night, The Light Between Oceans. Highly recommended and a great cast that includes Michael Fassbender and Rachel Weisz. I guess I don't go to the theater enough anymore because I was really pleasantly surprised by the leather seats that fully recline. No specific plans for the rest of today except to get a haircut, but I'm going kayaking tomorrow near St. Augustine, Florida, then going to the Florida State game on Labor Day.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. AG, I'm sorry to read about you and yours. Thinking about you during this difficult time.
                    Last edited by aihfl; September 3, 2016, 03:24 PM.
                    First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

aihfl...hubs just left for a party weekend with his old frat buddies to celebrate the FSU game. He was a KA at FSU and played football for our beloved Bobby Bowden.
                      AG - so sorry to hear about the young man and I am glad you were present for your son.
                      It's pouring here and I am cleaning and going to have a quiet AF weekend bingeing on Netflix!! Bliss!!
                      Love and hugs to all.
                      Got my first check with my 20k deduction. OUCH! But.....I have a job and I am looking for another one so I will choose to be grateful.

Comment

Lizz - your weekend sounds thrilling even if it is inside!
                        Hey Pauly, Nora, Rusty, and everyone!!

Comment

Aihfl,is that the movie where the baby is found at sea? Feeling lazy this afternoon, Louie wants to fill up water balloons,meh,don't feel like it at all,hope everyone is enjoying their day
                          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hey all - I hope that everyone is having a good weekend. Glad that you all survived the hurricane.

I've been busy but also relaxing some of the time today. It's been great. We did our grocery shopping this morning. Stopped by Panera and split a bagel. Got threaded. Read quite a bit. Did mom's nails - even did her toenails. Pretty pink. Cleaned up a little bit, read some more. And that's about it.
                            The neurologist doesn't think that I have any brain issues or anything like that. She thinks that it is probably stress and lack of good quality sleep. I tried to tell her that I was doing much better since I started taking the gabapentin. She is referring me to a pulmonary Doctor so that they can check on if my cpap machine settings are what I need.
                            Son has been let go from work. Hopefully, he'll find something else soon. He hated his job and I'm sure that his attitude had a lot to do with it. But, he was also putting up with a lot of shit that he shouldn't have had to. Sigh......
                            I'm letting it go - what will be will be. I have no control over this. I hope that he finds something soon. He is in the midst of a 'turning 30' crisis I think. Not happy with where he is in life regarding career. So, he's backed off of going back to get his doctorate. I've tried to talk to him and I'm just letting things go for now.
                            Sorry that I didn't address everyone. I'll try not to be so quiet tomorrow. I'll try to talk you ears off.
                            "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Good Morning, Friends,

A quick check-in before I leave for church in 10 minutes. :-)

AG-so, so, sorry to hear about your son's friend's sudden passing. How horrible! There is at least one tragedy in the lives of my friends every summer and I am sorry it was you! :-(

Nora-so sorry to hear about your son's job! What career is he in and what does he want to do? I can picture you painting your mom's fingers and toes...how fun for both of you. Did she pinch you this time?

Aihfl-how fun to go out and see a good movie and REMEMBER all of it! Is the woman you're dating the one who said she would not tolerate drinking because her former partner husband/wife was an alcoholic? Just curious...were you able to get the loan without your mom's help? I know your therapist told you to cut her off completely and I didn't know if you were successful doing that...that would take major courage for sure. Ah...St. Augustine....love it! Beautiful town.

TMH-so sorry to hear about the passing of your high school "crush." :-( Your 50th h.s. reunion? I always picture you to be about my age...55...the youthfulness comes through in your voice.

Mama-OUCH on the $20K pay cut and yup, you are wise to look for something else. I am sure your current employer is expecting you to do so. So glad you, Aihfl, and TMH escaped Ermine.

Techie-how did it go with your alternative doctor's appt. yesterday? We all love you here.

Liz-what are you up to today?

CLASSY GLASSY-please check in!!!

Pauly-how are you feeling? Are your allergies better??

Red67-Let us know how you are doing.

Hey Eloise!!

Apologies to anyone I have missed!

It's been a relaxing weekend with my family...boating and swimming yesterday. Swimming and a long walk on the lakepath today. Back later and happy Sunday, everyone!

Comment

Happy Sunday morning to you all. Sunny and cool here today. Apparently hermine has stalled off the coast somewhere so for now the weather is good. I spent the day cleaning yesterday. Erin came by and we took a very long walk. I found my iPod and listened to it for the better part of the day. Amazing how a little music can motivate me to clean.
                                Off to church in a bit then I will start to prepare for the BBQ tomorrow. Spoke to joe last night and we are all set for the proposal tonight. So many emotions going on today.

Nora, BIL just got 3 job offers after 7 months of unemployment, Your son will find something. He is still young. We think age was a factor with BIL.

Comment

Working...
                                X