Desparate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desparate

I just now found this site. I'm desparate. I don't drink everyday but when I do it's a binge. I can't seem to stop. I want to stop for good. The drinking causes great depression and anxiety. I recently got a DUI. I would never think of drinking and driving. I started drinking at home and ended up at the store about four blocks from my house. Needless to say I'm embarrassed but more than that, I'm horrified. I feel like a criminal and can't stand the idea that I may have hurt someone. I've got an appointment with the doctor to try some meds. I don't know which will be best. Until then, I could really use some daily moral support to get through this. (Do all drugs require a prescription and which ones are best)? I will do anything to stop.

Desparate

Hi saki and welcome. I can understand how shaken you must feel after this experience. I am new here too and this sight and the My Way Out program have given me great hope and confidence that I can lick my own problem. I hope you end up feeling that way too. There are so many great posts here to read and so many inspiring success stories. There is hope!!

Have you downloaded the book? If not I would highly recommend that. While each person tends to tailer the program to suit their needs, I think understanding the entire program in it's pure form is beneficial. That gives you a good foundation to make a good plan. I believe a plan is essential for success - it doesn't just happen by magic. The other wonderful thing about a plan, at least for me, is that it has given me a sense of control over a previously out of control situation.

I personally decided to do the full range of supplements purchased from here, and also the CD's making VERY best effort to follow the daily recommended program. I have one of the medications Topamax in hand, but frankly I am doing very well on just the supplements and CD's so am not adding Topomax, at least for now. Each person is different. I am thrilled to be on Day 5 alcohol free. You can do this too.

There is a whole section on the various prescription med options. I spent a lot of time reading and reading and reading some more there. It's a great education.

I'm glad you are here and I hope to get to know you better. Best wishes!!!

DG
    Day 5 AF
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Desparate

hi saki...glad you are here!!!

i would also strongly suggest downloading and reading the book...it will give you all you need to know to start changing your life! then read these threads and posts like crazy!!! they become addictive in a good way! all your questions can be answered within them but the book first is best...good luck, and hope to get to know you better soon!

cap:welcome: :new:

Comment

Desparate

Welcome Saki and I also am very glad you are here. The book has a lot of great advice about meds and so do the threads here.

I am taking Kudzu, L glut and Topamax which seem to be the best combination for me.

I understand the feelings you are going through right now as many of us do. Stick around and keep talking. This is a wonderful place.
        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Desparate

Welcome Saki,

Sorry this is such a short welcome, but I have to run off and attend to family matters. However, I wanted to assure you that you have landed in a great spot. A DUI must be a huge slap-in-the-face wake up call and I know in my heart that there have more than a few times when those lights could have been flashing behind me. I am glad that no one was hurt physically, although most here are aware of the tremendous emotional and financial costs that may result.

One good thing - it got you here and you are also going to the doctor to start on a new path. That is the important thing right now. For information, you should read the website through and through. There is a lot of info that can be had immediately that is already online. Also, you can download the book My Way Out by Roberta Jewell, who runs this site. The book has information about the aspects of the MWO plan that are based on the medication Topamax (yes it is by prescription) and also details the supplements. Since the publication of this book, there have been other medications to come out and you may find good information on the thread discussing medications, the research threads, and also on RJ's blog.

I found Topamax very helpful in the beginning, but I am now mostly AF and maintain this without medication. Many people here find that once they commit to a supplement schedule, they no longer need to rely on the prescription medication. So, research the site and don't be afraid to ask questions. I hope your doc is one that is up on the latest medications. If a family doc, you may not be so lucky.

Try to keep your spirits (no pun intended, okay it was) up and remember that there is a lot you can do WITHOUT medication, so there is no need to put off the things you can do now. Good luck, and please keep us informed.

Hugs and welcome,
          Pansy

Comment

Desparate

Hi Saki, and welcome to a really great and inspiring website.

As others have mentioned, dowloading the book is important. The most effective alcohol deterrents for me have been the kudzu, all in one supplement and lithium orotate (health food variety). If you are going to see the doc ask him for naltrexone, or a similar med.

Good Luck to you and hope to see you back here soon.
            Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Desparate

Hello Saki
              Sorry to here of you getting a DUI,At least you didn't hurt anyone else or yourself ,at least physicaly that is.As hard as it seems and i can only imagine your anguish its got you to your senses.Yes i too can relate.Isn't it awfull how after a few our morals and scrupules take a back seat.Thats how hidious this demand is -it takes it all.You are here and so am i after another awfull experience that for me also way overcrossed any boundries,and made me ask "How did it get this bad".I already have gained some good insight and taking on board some great advice here and like you will work it out!! xx

Comment

Desparate

Thanks for the response. I have not had much opportunity to visit this website but I really appreciate your comments. I have had nothing to drink for over a month. It feels great. I was just commenting to my partner that the worst part of drinking is doing things that I would never think of doing when sober. Losing my morals. Losing my license isn't so bad. I am riding my bike and feeling good. I just feel that I let myself and others down. This whole experience has given me a new outlook on life, a more positive one. I understand now that I have been dealing with anxieties and obsessions for years and didn't understand what was happening to me. I drank to make it all go away. Now, through my therapist, I have found new ways to deal with things and have new insite into my own personality. It's back to work for me and back to another good day. Thanks again.

Comment

Desparate

Desparate
                  The herbal meds in the book My Way Out seem to curb my appetite for alcohol and I've only been on them for one week.

Comment

Desparate

Hi, You are not alone here. There is loads of support. I got a DUI in '03. It didn't stop me from drinking tho'. I drink at home, or at a friend's, or out whne someone else is driving. I will not drive drunk again. It was awful. But, a wake up call. I realized then I had a problem. I tried all sorts of programs, nothing helped. When I first bought the MWO book, I tossed it back in the closet. I glance through and said "it was just a bunch of vits and crap". How wrong I was. One am with a hangover, I found this site. I realized that this program worked, and it was right for me. I am not doing well with moderation, which is what I desire. I am going to try to do thirty days in order to get rid of some tolerance and break a bad habit. Nothing is easy, but this works.

Comment

Desparate

Saki, everything you said in your paragraph is excatlyhowi feel. Canot stop, dont drink everyday but binge and cant seem to stop, got a dui, etc. however,i stilldont want to totallky stop..! it sux. talk to peopleonhere. u should try taking the med's..

Comment

Desparate

Hi saki,
                        So glad to hear you`re working through your problems.........like yourself, I drank to avoid confronting problem areas in my life.........the wine sure gave me a lift for a few hrs., but the problems were still there in the morning and probably exacerbated.........was spending about ?200 per mth. on wine........money I could ill-afford.

Am 19 days AF, and whilst stopping drinking hasn`t miraculously transformed my life, I am confident that being sober shall result in me taking stock and instigating enormous changes and improvements in my life. In many respects, the drink was holding me back, almost like a ball and chain..........feel that the possibilities for me are endless now.

me145, I was adamant that I didn`t want to "totally stop" either, so initially, I tried to moderate with all my might............just couldn`t trust myself though, so threw in the towel and went AF........am far happier. Think you discover relatively quickly when you attempt mods, whether or not you can honour it.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Working...
                        X