Ok here goes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok here goes!

Hi! I don't have much of a story to tell but alot of questions and I am so motivated by all of you! I like my beer-a little too much-It would not be so bad if I just drank when my husband and I go out but I also like to have a few after work while cooking, while relaxing on the computer, and it has gotten to the point of needing one or two in the morning. I want to and will take control I just know I need the right knowledge and support to help me through-I had to put my dog down (cancer) in November (we have no children he was my kid!) and my Dad passed away in April-I noticed that I have gotten worse through all of this time. Last weekend I drank alot all day long Saturday and Sunday-I woke up Monday at 1:30am soooooo sick and could not sleep and sweating and shakes-I know it was not withdrawal as alot of alcohol still had to be in my system. Whatever it was it scared me enough -as I took off of work for 3 days sick after that-to come here and register. I have enough love and support in my life to give me every reason to be healthy again-my husband is great-although he does not quite know yet how bad this has gotten and we have gotten two more great dogs! I also have great family and friends but most of all I want to do this for myself-I want me back!
    So here are my questions;
    -How bad/long is withdrawal if I cut down? (I typically have 7 beers/day in week maybe twice as much a day on the weekend)
    -What can I do about the horrible shakes I get at work during the day?
    -So confused about supplements! I take Campral now-what is everyone's basic supplement regime?
    -How did you get off of your morning drinks?
    Thanks to all for listening!!:new:

Ok here goes!

Hi wanttostop7 and welcome.
    Your username says it all, as I`ve always maintained wanting to stop is the first step to stopping.
    Sorry you`ve had sad times, but like you say you have a loving and supportive hubby and family which really will go a long way to helping you stop for YOU.

Am sorry that I can`t offer advice on meds. or supps., as I have chosen to curb my drinking without..........loads of people here will give you advice on these though and their own personal experiences.

I wish you much success,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Ok here goes!

Hi wanttostop and welcome!! This is a great support forum, and the My Way Out program is great for stopping the madness - at least that's my ever not so humble opinion so far!!!

I can totally relate to the escalating drinking patterns you describe - that was me too and I finally scared myself enough, and got SICK enough of having no life outside of drinking that I wanted BADLY to change it. Sounds like you will have good support at home which is a wonderful bonus. Your two new doggies NEED you!!!

If you have not already done so I would strongly recommend that you download the My Way Out book. That's one of the best $12 I have ever spent. I think it is worth understanding the entire My Way Out program in it's baseline form before deciding how to tailor the program for YOU.

I am taking the full range of recommended supplements, and I bought them here. There is a lot of variance in quality in the supplements game, and I didn't want to take any chances. And obviously the recommended products in the recommended quantities and combinations has been tested and proven by RJ and the MWO team.

I also do the Hypnosis CD's - also purchased here.

The other part of the program in base line form is medication - Campral is one of the recommended options and it sounds you are already have a prescription? Have you been taking it, but still drinking? IIRC, I think that is one of the meds that loses effectiveness eventually if you drink while taking it??? I ordered Topomax from out of country - so the supplements and CD's arrived first. I was having good success with the supps and CD's, so have not even taken Topmax. I would suggest lots of reading in the section on the prescription medications if you haven't already done that.

Anyway, I can tell you that with the supps and CD's and support of this community, I have 12 Alcohol Free days under my belt. You mileage may vary, but for me, this has gone about 2956748575 times easier than the first 12 days without cigarettes - which i quit almost 5 months ago. I KNOW I can stop drinking if I keep wanting to be stopped this badly, and keep following this program.

Best wishes!!!! PM me or ask out loud if i can answer any more questions. And the folks with WAY WAY more experience than me will come along too!

DG
      Day 12 AF * * * * * * * * * * * * (my gold stars!)
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Ok here goes!

Oops...here is a link somebody kindly provided me early on about withdrawl when I was asking the same questions you are asking. Symptoms of Alcohol Withdrawal

You can also use the 'Search" feature for withdrawl here and lots of good info pops up. I did not see a doctor (which of course is always recommended). I did review the potential symptoms with Mr. Doggy and he kept a close eye on me for any of the bad ones that might mean a trip to the hospital.

The most bothersome symptoms I've had are inability to get a good, straight up night of sleep (still a problem, but being AF is worth it and I'll tough it out). I also felt really spacey or "Kerfluffled" as i like to say - I love made up words. I would mix up words and somethings things just wouldn't come out right. I would make really strange typos - more and different than usual. That has passed - my level of kerfluffedness now is more a "normal" level LOL!

Hope that helps too.
        Dg
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Ok here goes!

Good Morning All!

Wanttostop --- Welcome. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for you since I am just starting out too. I did some lurking here for awhile, and bought the book. I read all the way to the "get started" section, and then I stopped. It talked about seeing a doctor, and I wasn't ready for that. (You know, embarrassed, ashamed...) Well, the drinking continued through the month and 2 vacations until I finally realized --- once again ---that this has to stop. Luckily, someone reached out to me in a private message (Thanks so much!!!) and that began my journey anew. The stories she shared were inspirational and honest --- it gave me hope. With her encouragement, I finally bit the bullet and ordered the CD and Supplements last Friday. I can't wait until everything arrives so that I can start getting my life back. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow.

I have the same questions as you. I just keep reading all the posts and I do hear the the Supps help with a lot of the symptoms. As I start myself, I will let you know how it is going.

Doggiegirl --- great advice! I look forward to reading your posts each day. Congratulations on Day 12!!!

Enjoy your day! ) Just posting here is a big step in the right direction!

Comment

Ok here goes!

Thanks to all of you I really look forward to this journey-
            Doggiegirl yes I have been taking Campral while still drinking-I take it I'm defeating the purpose?
            thanks again! Will be checking in more and more! And of course I am here for all of you too!!

Comment

Ok here goes!

wanttostop7;167609 wrote: Thanks to all of you I really look forward to this journey-
              Doggiegirl yes I have been taking Campral while still drinking-I take it I'm defeating the purpose?
              thanks again! Will be checking in more and more! And of course I am here for all of you too!!
              Want to - make sure to check in with the medications section and you can do some searches using that feature, and/or post the question about drinking while still on Campral. I have no experience personally with that or any other prescription med. I recall reading that one of the meds - and I think it's Campral but I'm not 100% can be problematic in that way. I know there are several regular posters here who DO take it, and/or are very knowledgeable.

Welcome again and we're happy to have you along on this incredible journey to take our lives back!!

DG
              Day 12 AF
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Ok here goes!

Hi Wantostop: As Starlight said your screen name says it all. I too have everything I need to be happy: great hubby, children, & grandkids who love me, sweet dog, lovely home, etc. For me, the drinking was progressive...it sneaked up on me. I came here because I was drinking to black-out at least 3 times a week. My family knew something was wrong, but I hid it well. I don't take any supplements, but that's just me. Plenty of folks here at MWO swear by them.

I joined MWO in April, & I have been AF since July 10th which is fantastic for me. The first few months were very erratic. Now that I'm getting out from under the alcoholic fog, I feel free & easy for the first time in a long time. I come here (mostly to newbies) everyday & read & share. It's been the biggest help for me. I read books that members suggest & take all advice that feels doable for me.

Keep coming. We need you as much as you need us. Mary
                Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                October 3, 2012

Comment

Ok here goes!

Welcome wantotstop,

Lorzepam helped me with the withdrawal, but for the shaking I needed to get B complex, B 12 sublingual, ( under the tongue ), and 200mg of B6.

I finally got up the nerve to tell my doctor I had been over drinking, she also has me taking a multi vitamin.

I believe when you drink for a long period of time, your body seriously needs more vitamins.

Also MWO has info on some very good supplements.

kitkat
                  AF since 12/11/2008 :ranger c:
                  Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream !:catroll:

Comment

Working...
                  X