Hi all :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all :)

I usually read practically everything there is on a forum before posting, but since I have a feeling I might be here awhile, and have read enough of the non-forum stuff to know I belong here, I just had a notion to jump right in.

I have no idea why, in my various google searches to find something that would reduce the cravings, this forum, or kudzu, have not turned up. The closest I've come in terms of a herbal is salvia, and I haven't seen it in stores. I also gather from what I did read that it could be dangerous.

Anyways, I'm glad to have found this place - I think I may finally be onto something that can help.

Hi all

Calysta,

Welcome,

You have found a great place. I don't know anything about Salvia except that it grows in my yard, smells nice if I brush up against it and is low maintenance. I don't know anything about consuming it.

I would like to suggest that you download the MY Way Out Book and read it. The kudzu really works and the stuff you can order here is probably the best although you can buy it in other forms/strengths elsewhere. the L-Glutamine taken in combo helps greatly around the time each day when you would normally drink. I would also recommend the vitamins if you arent already taking them because your body is most likely very starved of nutrients and will keep craving alcohol until you get it back into a healthy state. I can't tell you how much difference it made with me.

I've been here since April and have gone from a real problem to almost total abstinence. This was my last stop before rehab and I didn't have much hope before I surfed in here.

Keep reading and posting. The folks here span several time zones so it takes time to hear from everyone. Be patient.

I wish you well on your journey.

rottrod ( I am a girl)
    If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Hi all

Hi Calysta, Welcome - looking forward to seeing you around on the boards.
      This is a great place for support and information (and you will probably make some good friends too!!).
      Take care
      Amelia
      Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Hi all

Wow, that was fast! Thank you rottrod and Amelia

I am SO looking forward to dumping this bad habit. Tired and ready for bed now, but I will be going to sleep (trying to, anyways, as usual) with a smile on my face for the first time in years, just knowing there is something I can do about this.

Comment

Hi all

Hi Calysta,

Welcome!

There Lot's of good folks here, and lot's of good info on the site.

Comment

Hi all

Hi Calysta

Welcome to the family!

You will get these messages when you wake up!

You found a great place - the folks on here are the best - they changed my life!

Take care

Be talking to you later :welcome:

Satori
            xxx
            "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Hi all

Hi calysta and a warm welcome.

Loads of people here swear by the kudzu to manage the cravings and the kind you can buy(can even use paypal) through this site is reputedly more potent than brands sold elsewhere, which have less of the active ingredient. I wouldn`t go dabbling with strange herbs unless you know exactly what you`re doing......always trust the tried and tested!!!

Wishing you well,

Starlight Impress

Comment

Hi all

hi there and welcome.

for the cravings there are also meds, see the meds forum, and MWO recommends topamax. but there are others, too. also some people swear by lithium oratate (spelling?)-- see the holistic healing forum. there is lots of good information there. this general discussion place is good for sharing and support and sometimes for a good laugh.
                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Hi all

**waving to Calysta!**

Welcome to MWO. Have you already downloaded the book to read? I'm suspecting maybe yes from the way you sound (optimisic!!). But if not, I highly recommend it along with so many others here.

I was a heavy drinker for about 30 years and a DAILY drinker over the last probably 10 years at least. I was up to 16 fl oz. per day on avg of vodka, plus wine sometimes, etc. YIKES!! I didn't have one day in a row of not drinking...much less almost two weeks. Today is day 13 Alcohol Free (AF) for me - un. frickin. believable!

I take the full range of supplement recommended to start (including L-Glutamine which is listed as "optional" and I also have GABA on order to add). I purchased everything here - there is such variation in quality out there. I trusted MWO and it's been worth it.

I also do the hypnotic CD's. I was skeptical about that - I've never done any sort of hypnosis before. I'm still working on getting a 100% solid routine down. I can say this - when I "miss" for a couple days, I think I feel a difference. I think they really help me keep my eyes on the prize, and also stay positive about the changes I am making.

I ordered Topomax from outside the US. By the time it arrived I was already on my way with the supps and CD's. I was feeling really good and doing fine, so I opted not to start taking the drug.

I too felt like I found the Holy Grail or something when I found this web site, program and discussion forum!!! Hope you are getting a good night sleep and are ready to rumble when you wake up!!

DG
                  Day 13 AF * * * * * * * * * * * * *(my gold stars - yes I am in touch with my inner child!)
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi all

Hi everyone,

I have never posted anything and just joined today. I am hoping that by surrounding myself with people who all want to free themselves from alcohol it will give me the strength to do the same. Someday in the future I view myself as a moderate drinker but for now I need to stay AF for a year. I have read some threads and am excited to be a part of such a powerful media of support.

Comment

Hi all

Welcome and best wishes Pelonis.
                      Keep in touch.
                      Love Paula.

Comment

Hi all

**waving to Pelonis!** A hearty welcome to you too!!

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi all

Hi Calysta and Pelonis- Welcome to you! You have found one great, supportive group. I was a lurker for a while too, then tried to moderate my drinking since May and on Friday decided to go alcohol free. I did it last summer ( 6 weeks) and can do it again and FOR LONGER!!! My inspiration to ditch moderation was from this site. I take kudzu, multi vitamin, and l-glutamin. Keep posting and great luck and health to you both!!!!
                          AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

Hi all

Hello Calysta.
                            Hello pelonis.
                            This is a great place.
                            Lots of help and support.
                            Welcome

Comment

Hi all

Doggygirl;168015 wrote: **waving to Calysta!**

Welcome to MWO. Have you already downloaded the book to read? I'm suspecting maybe yes from the way you sound (optimisic!!). But if not, I highly recommend it along with so many others here. Nope, I haven't. I literally found the MWO site, read the Home page and the Our Story page, and jumped right in with both feet

I was a heavy drinker for about 30 years and a DAILY drinker over the last probably 10 years at least. I was up to 16 fl oz. per day on avg of vodka, plus wine sometimes, etc. YIKES!! I didn't have one day in a row of not drinking...much less almost two weeks. Today is day 13 Alcohol Free (AF) for me - un. frickin. believable!Bravo!!

Me, I've been doing a six-pack a night with some heavier weekends thrown in. I don't get 'cravings' as I think of them (ie: need that ice cream and pickles when pregnant) and don't even think about it during the day, but come dinnertime, my car finds its own way to the beer store. I'm from northern Europe where daily beers didn't used to be considered a biggy, but I'm small, also a smoker (tried to quit that every which way from Sunday) and have had abnormally high stress for a long time, so the risk factors are too dangerous to play around with, especially at my age. I'm a little worried about this weird pain I've had in my arm and a short spell of disorientation I had going into a store last night, so the first thing I did when I got in tonight was refresh my memory on the warning signs of stroke/heart attack, and call the nurse hotline to see if they thought I should get myself to emergency. She said no, but get to a doctor tomorrow. Wouldn't that just take the cake - I've just finished stocking up on a detox regime and a pile of supplements (I lost my collection 2 years ago in a move), finally have a place of my own and a new (used) car that I like and a great new client, and found this site.

Of course I have questions, such as what it's like at the beginning of the program, what about alcohol withdrawal symptoms (which can show up even a week later and be dangerous), etc, but I'm sure they will be answered as I read along.

I take the full range of supplement recommended to start (including L-Glutamine which is listed as "optional" and I also have GABA on order to add). I purchased everything here - there is such variation in quality out there. I trusted MWO and it's been worth it.Probably a good idea, by the sounds of how well it seems to have worked for the folks in the forum (I read the testimonials on the Home page).

I also do the hypnotic CD's. I was skeptical about that - I've never done any sort of hypnosis before. I'm still working on getting a 100% solid routine down. I can say this - when I "miss" for a couple days, I think I feel a difference. I think they really help me keep my eyes on the prize, and also stay positive about the changes I am making.
                              I wonder about this part - twice people (one whose credentials I'm not too sure about, in retrospect, and one with excellent credentials) have tried to hypnotize me, and it just didn't work. I gather that not everyone can be hypnotized, though.

I ordered Topomax from outside the US. By the time it arrived I was already on my way with the supps and CD's. I was feeling really good and doing fine, so I opted not to start taking the drug.
                              The drug is something I'm not sure about either, but again, reading will inform me.

I too felt like I found the Holy Grail or something when I found this web site, program and discussion forum!!! Hope you are getting a good night sleep and are ready to rumble when you wake up!!
                              I was sure excited allright. I have a schizophrenic sibling so I've done a lot of reading and I've figured all along that one's chemicals have more to do with it than one's will power. But the R&D hasn't been there to find/create solutions since the treatments all started out based on a 'morality' foundation. I'm tickled pink to find out about kudzu and surprised that's never come up in google searches either.

Well, you gave me lots to work with DG, and now I've told my story.

Comment

Working...
                              X