Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies in need - Day 25

Hi Everyone:

I woke up today w/a headache but it's not a hangover headache. I almost feel grateful for it. Sobriety is so new to me. I discover something w/each passing day. As you all get sober or moderate, what have you discovered about yourself? I'd love to know. Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Newbies in need - Day 25

Good Morning!!

Mary and all those to come.

I have discovered the simple thing. I truly do not need to be smashed to have a good night's sleep. Nor do I need to be drunk to have "fun."

I get to enjoy my husband's companionship and actually remember everything he said the next day!! Sometimes this is good and sometimes this is bad. :H

However, that is only partly a joke, but the real truth. I have learned I don't need to be numbed to deal with the unpleasantness, either. I am strong enough without the drug!! Yahoo!!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Take care, be well.

And, once again, Mary, :goodjob: !!!!!!

I will get there, too!!

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 25

Cindi: I so identify w/what you say! In sobriety, I'm more open w/my husband (which is a good thing). He is not entirely used to this, because when I'm drinking, I hold back. I'm learning to assert myself w/him. It feels great to me, & ultimately it's good for our relationship. I too am finding out that I don't have to be numbed out to deal w/life's ups & downs. In fact, drinking only makes matters worse. Thank you so much for sharing. Have a wonderful day. Mary
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 25
        Hi Mary, I too, woke with a headache, and it had nothing to do with alcohol!!

I feel fantastic today - so clear (already)... As I have stated before, I feel like I have had a HUGE mental shift, I had absolutely no craving today - My plan is to stick to the fresh juice at 4pm along with some kudzo and GABA - I went and did a big shop at the fresh fruit market, gee it felt WONDERFUL to know I was going to be sober, again tonight. I am looking forward to losing a few kilos as well, and I am totally enjoying the TV tonight - this is good, bring it on!

Tah xx
        Day 2 AF
        :rolleyesmonkey: Tahlula :rolleyesmonkey:
        Trim the tree to let in the sunshine...

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 25

Hi Mary and Cindi- I have learned that the mind is a very powerful thing. I have learned that a clear conscience brings about a better sleep than a wine induced one. I am certain I can't take back the years of polluting my body but look forward to the years of treating myself better. I am not interested in hiding (from husband and daughter) my dirty habit anymore. Living life af is far less stressful. Wishing you both a great day!
          AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 25

When I am able to moderate I feel in control and I feel more mature. I am not getting carried away with some substance...

Another important thing I have noticed, there are times when I feel very low and upset. Normally these would be times for drinking. I find that it is difficult on that particular occasion and still haven't found great replacements to feel better. BUT, I find that these feelings do pass. I sometimes wake up the next day feeling fine. Now if I were drinking, the next day would also be ruined with a hangover and depression.
            Drinking definitely does make things worse.

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 25

Hi Mary! Another terrific topic to get us going again today. LOL I was up and at 'em early again today, and actually was waiting eagerly for you to start today's thread!! How cool is that? Congratulation on...I believe today is Day 16 AF for you right? AWESOME!!

Cindi, I can relate to each of your points. I am especially pleasantly surprised at how much fun I can have without any booze. I'm having MORE fun now. Amazing and so worth whatever difficult moments are in the path to get to these results. Congratulations on your progress!

Tah congratulations on Day 2 ** !! Good for you figuring out the supplement schedule and combo that works best for you. I just added GABA yesterday and am looking forward to seeing what that does for me in addition.

AF - here's to not hiding the habit!! I didn't really hide much of it from Mr. Doggy, but I sure worked at hiding it from many many others. And I'm sure my efforts were not all that successful - adding to guilt, negative feelings, paranoia, you know, sh!t. Life is good.

During one of my "wake ups" last night, I was thinking that for too many years now the only thing really separating me from being alive and being dead was basically breathing. That's all. I went through a lot of motions, but inside I was sort of dead if that makes any sense. I don't know where I'm headed (except down the AF path) for sure, but until it's time for me to physically stop breathing, I want to LIVE for real, and it has started. And it feels good.

OK - everyone cross fingers that my meeting with the Insurance Salesman goes well and me and the Mr. Dawg get group health insurance through our business. We won't know for a couple weeks if our application gets accepted but if it is accepted without exclusions or "ratings" (we'll take you but at a really high premium) THAT will be one heck of a glorious day!!

DG
              Day 15 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * (my gold stars!)
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 25

Hi again everyone:
                DG: I sent up a little prayer for your insurance issue. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who dedicates life to dogs is AOK in my book. We waited until retirement to adopt a dog & just did in Jan. He's an absolute love, but we don't know what happened to him in his first 8 months. We only know that he was in 2 different homes & is very timid. We're building his confidence through training & love.

Cindi: I have had so much more fun sober. I think that when I drink, I anticipate loosening up, but since I drink to excess, I get extremely paranoid thus impeding any fun I could have. I recently went to a beach party & stayed sober & had much more fun. You can't go into the ocean under the influence. It's hard to walk on the beach drunk. I could do all that & more.

Also, I had my kids & grandkids over for a great dinner a few days ago. When I drink & do that, I get more tense w/the commotion feeling like I have to over-compensate so that nobody will notice. Instead, I let the my children & my hubby take charge of the toddlers while I was in charge of dinner. I didn't run myself ragged trying to do everything so that nobody would notice my drinking.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Mary
                October 3, 2012

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 25

Mary -- you are doing great!

I enjoy your posts & the great vibe they convey... I can tell that you are a "retired teacher" as your posts convey leadeership as well... you are an asset to this community... like DG said in a different thread we look forward to your post!

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 25

SC: Thank you so much. Teaching was my life for 26 years, & I guess it's part of my identity. I don't want to preach or teach here at MWO...I'm learning just like the rest of you all. We all have something to share. Mary
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 25

**waving to SC!**

Mary thank you for the prayer! The forms are filled out, the check is written, now we just wait to hear - hopefully within two weeks - whether we are accepted, and at a standard rate. **hopinghopinghopinghoping**

Bless you for rescuing your doggy. Boy, two homes in 8 months - no telling what his early life might have been like. The things puppies experience and learn between 8 weeks and 8 months of age truly do stay with them forever. Negative experiences or "learned behaviors" you want them to "unlearn" can be trained - but they truly never forget. If you dog is timid of new things, the BEST thing you can do is be even more confident. A good example our trainer uses is this. Let's say you are walking your dog along a city sidewalk and come up to one of those grates in the walk where water drains when it rains. Dogs will often shy from that when seeing it the first time. Rather than stop and sort of coddle the dog (i.e. "its' ok honey..it's not gonna hurt you...which of course the dog doesn't understand those words - even though reacting like that is really instinctive for most people.

When you realize your dog is starting to slow down (*caution! new thing ahead!*) in this scenario, better to pick up the pace a little, don't look at the dog, just pull the dog right along and give confident praise (while you keep moving at the faster pace) for the desired behavior. This doesn't always work the first time you try it, but with repetition I've seen some really shy dogs overcome things. It's baby steps!! OK - enough with the unsolicited advice that you probably don't need.... (sorry)

Good for you too on the family dinner! It's amazing how much easier things are without the added pressure of worrying about covering up inappropriate drinking, isn't it? I'm looking forward to more experiences where I used to have the ball and chain on, and now I'm free. Freedom is worth whatever short terms craves I have to put up with to get there.

DG
                      Day 15 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 25

Dear DG: I love your advice. I have been trying to help Buddy face his fears instead of supporting them. I'm trying to expose him to other dogs (a major fear) through training sessions & daily long walks. When I act confident, he follows suit. Likewise, I'm trying to do the same w/his other fears as well.

I didn't think of my drinking as a ball & chain, but that's exactly what it is. Thank you, Mary
                        October 3, 2012

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 25

Hi all,
                          Another sober day for me. Some things happened today that would normally send me to drink but I didn't even want to. Kept telling myself all day, ok, if I get to craving I just focus but it never happened. My refridge is broke down and my cars brakes are on their last legs and I'm broke but none of it matters cuz I'm sober.bird

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 25

Hi Cindi, Mary, DG, Bird (your avatar still cracks me up !), I have been away for 5 days and wanted to say hello again to my newbie friends. You are all doing so well. Mary and Cindi, you have come so far since the early days...you too Bird. DG, your enthusiasm is contagious....too bad you can't bottle that and sell it. It would be better than alcohol !! Well, after 31 days AF I had several glasses of wine each day on vacation. Not overboard but a little more than I planned. I am afraid of slipping into old habits so I am off to an ABS thread to join a new 30 day AF thread I have caught sight of. Sorry I post when most are already in bed somewhere. Hope to catch up with you all sometime. Have a good day on Thursday.
                            Lilac

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 25

Howdy doodies!! Feeling great! Head is nice & clear and am looking forward to my delicous juice this afternoon.

Keep up the good work all.

Love Tah xx

DAY 3AF
                              :rolleyesmonkey: Tahlula :rolleyesmonkey:
                              Trim the tree to let in the sunshine...

Comment

Working...
                              X