Gastritis symptoms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gastritis symptoms?

After nearly a month of full abstinence earlier this summer, unfortunately I resumed drinking with a vengeance. This past week I was forced to stop due to stomach problems, something that's never happened to me before. I feel a mild burning sensation in my stomach, mild gas, and this vague, hollow, uncomortable feeling in my upper GI tract. I had similar symptoms a year ago, was tested for an ulcer, but was given a clean bill of health. Since I've recently been doing lots of drinking on an empty stomach, eating poorly, and have never been sick to to stomach from drinking (despite consuming huge amounts), I fear I may have damaged my stomach lining. If anyone has had gastritis-like symptoms from drinking, with abstinence how long did it take for them to go away? I haven't had a drink in 3 days now and I cut out caffeine as well to ease the burden on my stomach. I'm also a bit worried that it might be more serious, although I had a recent physical exam and my physician said my liver is not enlarged and my liver function tests were all normal. In any case, I'm hardly on my deathbed but these symptoms are really irritating! Any advice, suggestions or personal experience anecdotes on this problem would be appreciated.

5thaday

Gastritis symptoms?

I have trouble with my esophagus being inflamed after drinking. It gives me heartburn and I have trouble swallowing some foods like rice and mac and cheese. Went to the doc about it once and they gave me a barium swallow test. I never called to get the results. It usually takes me about a week AF to get back to normal but it used to take only 1 day.Booze is so hard on our bodies. bird

Comment

Gastritis symptoms?

I used to get pain just under the ribcage on the left side when drinking-- not severe, not concentrated, but a kind of spread out, dull pain, quite uncomfortable nonetheless. It always went away after 2-3 days AF. Someone suggested it could be the pancreas, which is also very much affected (and damaged) by alcohol like the liver.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Gastritis symptoms?

Hey 5thaday, I found this response on 'go ask alice' and thought some of it may help.....I have included the question with the answer from 'Alice':

Dear Alice,
        I have never had a problem with alcohol tolerances in the past. I could drink at least four or five drinks and be fine that night and the next morning. Now, I find myself getting violently sick after drinking just one or two. Even after a glass of wine I want to puke it up. Is there something physically wrong with me? I know the obvious solution is to stop drinking entirely. But, I shouldn't be this sick after drinking just one drink. Have you ever heard of this before? Can you help me figure out the problem?

Dear Reader,
        It's common for a person to develop a new resistance or allergy to a specific food or drink, and as you mentioned, your body seems to be changing. Processing alcohol is complicated. Many biological, psychological, and social factors influence how you feel when you drink alcohol. How you feel is described in terms of tolerance.

Alcohol tolerance means that after a period of ongoing drinking, on future occasions, consumption of the same amount of alcohol produces a lesser effect of intoxication, or that increased amounts of alcohol are needed to produce the same effect. Scientists refer to tolerance in two categories — functional and metabolic. Functional tolerance is when brain functions adapt to compensate for the physiological and behavioral effects of alcohol. For instance, heavy drinkers have functional tolerance when they show few signs of intoxication, even though they're at an elevated blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level. Metabolic tolerance, which has to do with specific enzymes, is the rate at which the body processes and eliminates alcohol.

In your body, alcohol is absorbed primarily from the stomach and small intestine. About 10 percent is eliminated through the kidneys, lungs, and sweat glands, but the rest is metabolized in the liver by an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH). If not enough ADH is produced in the liver, the body will not be able to metabolize alcohol. A second enzyme, aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH), also plays a role in metabolism, and is missing in up to 50 percent of Asian people. The lack of ALDH is often associated with the facial flushing that occurs in many Asians, as well as Native Americans and Inuits, when they drink. So people with less ALDH will often flush, sweat, and/or become ill after drinking small amounts of alcohol. Recent studies suggest women have fewer alcohol metabolizing enzymes than men. The fact that women typically have more body fat also causes them to metabolize alcohol differently. This means that a woman will have a higher blood alcohol concentration level than a man, even after consuming the same amount of alcohol, which explains why women seem to be able to tolerate less alcohol than men.

Other than metabolism, why else might you feel uncomfortable or sick after one drink?

An irritated stomach
        Alcohol directly irritates the esophagus, stomach, and intestines, causing inflammation of the stomach lining. Alcohol increases the production of gastric (stomach) acid, and can also cause a build up of triglycerides (fat compounds and free fatty acids) in liver cells. Any of these factors can result in nausea or vomiting.

Sulfites in wine
        You mention wine. All wines contain small amounts of sulfites. Sulfites are a natural by-product of the fermentation process that turn grapes and grape juice into wine. Winemakers add additional sulfites to wine to make the wine "last longer" — meaning sulfur acts as a preservative, helping to prevent organisms, such as bacteria, from growing in the wine. Sulfites are also present in a variety of processed and cooked foods. Sulfite sensitivities and allergies can be a challenge for anyone affected who drinks wine. Depending on whether or not someone has a sensitivity versus an allergy to sulfites, symptoms include hives, breathing difficulties, even anaphylactic shock, which is life-threatening. If you think you are allergic, you can find wine without sulfites.

Congeners
        Most alcohol contains smaller amounts of other biologically active compounds, known as congeners, which contribute to the taste, smell, and look of a beverage. Drinks containing more pure alcohol, such as gin and vodka, have fewer congeners than drinks with less pure alcohol, such as red wine and whiskey. Congeners play a role in producing a hangover, so in the case of congeners, "more is less" when it comes to negative physiological effects.
        Other factors that influence tolerance and metabolism include:

Genetics
        Studies suggest genetic factors are associated with a person's sensitivity to the effects of alcohol, so it's important to know your family history.

Medication
        Alcohol can be harmful, even in small amounts, when consumed in conjunction with medications and/or other drugs (including nicotine). To learn more about the interaction of alcohol and medications, check out, "Harmful Interactions: Mixing Alcohol with Medicines," published by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA).

An empty stomach
        Eating a substantial meal before drinking alcohol will slow the absorption process. If you are drinking alcohol on an empty stomach, that may increase your chances of feeling unwell.

Usually, it takes fewer drinks to become intoxicated as we get older, because as we age, we process alcohol more slowly.
        Certain health conditions, such as high blood pressure, ulcers, sleep apnea, and severe acid reflux, require abstinence from alcohol altogether. To give you an example of why health status plays such a major role in alcohol tolerance, consider pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is a disease that occurs when the pancreas, an organ behind the stomach, becomes inflamed. Pancreatitis can be acute or chronic, caused by a history of drinking alcohol, go undiagnosed, and if not diagnosed and treated, can cause major complications. This health condition causes acute nausea, and treatment includes total abstinence from alcohol.

Considering the myriad of possibilities behind your sudden nausea and lowered tolerance for alcohol, visiting your health care provider will provide more insight, as well as a diagnosis, into your situation.
        Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Working...
        X