PDA

View Full Version : The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics :)

lucky 2.0
September 1st, 2007, 10:28 AM
Prest4time got me interested in Macrobiotics and this book. Being the hip chick that I am I rushed out to buy the book and I am only on page 10 but it will change my life. Macrobiotics is not a diet but a philosophy and it makes so much sense to me. It is a funny read and will make you laugh til you have carrot juice spewing from your nose.

lushy
September 1st, 2007, 10:30 AM
Very cool. Going to see if my library has it, otherwise I trust you will be buy me a copy?

lushy
September 1st, 2007, 10:35 AM
Well you lucked out Lucky, my library had it and it is on hold. Thanks for the tip!

slightlysuze
September 1st, 2007, 11:14 AM
I'm up for that nasal carrot juice experience.....just ordered a copy. Will start knitting some shoes very soon and am determined to have my own hairball to cough up.:)

lucky 2.0
September 1st, 2007, 11:42 AM
maybe we should have a hairball competition between SS and Flop. Wonder who will have the biggest and nastiest hairball?

slightlysuze
September 1st, 2007, 11:57 AM
Mine will be small and elegant, thank you.

But I will project it over several metres...thus it will be quite deadly, even to people who mistakenly think they are out of range. It may even become intercontinental. In time.:)

lucky 2.0
September 1st, 2007, 12:29 PM
ok SS and Flop- Game On!

September 1st, 2007, 01:19 PM
think I might pick up a copy and give it a try.

lucky 2.0
September 1st, 2007, 11:52 PM
Well, I am convinced. I want to give up dairy. The Macrobiotics book, the Skinny Bitch book, the McDougal Health Plan, Diet for a Small Planet, and MANY others all say it must be eliminated from the diet for health (and other reasons) and I am convinced now. I am so convinced it should not be hard @ all. Well, giving up pizza will not be easy but Amy's makes a good organic one with no cheese. Macrobiotics does not do frozen though. Oh well...

I just spent some time on this site and I am a believer:

The NOTMILK Homepage! (MILK is a bad-news substance!) (http://www.notmilk.com/)

Flip
September 1st, 2007, 11:56 PM
I'm working up a really enormous hair ball to vomit after reading this crap from you, Lucky.

Why don't you just go straight to Air diet?

KatieSmiles
September 2nd, 2007, 12:41 AM
Haahaaaa Flip!

lushy
September 2nd, 2007, 12:45 AM
Lucky, you are being too extreme. Everything in moderation. It is not realistic to cut out dairy forever, so get off that kick right now. You can find just as many studies to support the importance of dairy in your diet. Just limit it.

Listen to Queen Lushy.

Flip
September 2nd, 2007, 01:00 AM
yep, I'm with Lushy on this one. Don't be a silly bitch, be a skinny bitch!

Dairy is a great food, as is meat if you ask my opinion. Which you didn't, but bad luck, Lucky.

What are you planning on living on - brown rice and organically grown lentils from the east himalyas, hand picked by lepers?

tawnyfrog
September 2nd, 2007, 01:05 AM
Ahem .... that should be handpicked by leopards, ... ok?

Anyway, Lucky may wish to embrace the philosophy of the Breatharians ... they make damn easy dinner guests.

lucky 2.0
September 2nd, 2007, 08:19 AM
I bet Mags supports me! :)

And no food from the Himalayas picked by anyone because of transportation. My goal is to buy most items locally grown. And I think Frog supports that- lower transportation fees and less packaging. If the Treehogger Frog does not support me, I do not know what the world has come to.

Healthy dining everyone! If you know how to flavor air, please let me know.

chrysa
September 2nd, 2007, 09:59 AM
Good luck Duck, Keep us informed. It is a philosphy. I did it in my 20's but must not have done it right because I had incredible energy drains at certain times during the day. I believe in it for the ultimate health.

Is it a lot of work?

BTW..my amazon account is getting overloaded thanks to you.

lushy
September 2nd, 2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks Tawny. I have fully researched and as of today my family will become Breathatarians.

lucky 2.0
September 2nd, 2007, 12:04 PM
Too bad you do not live closer frog and flop. I am cleaning out my fridge and giving my yougurt and frozen fish to my lesbian friends who still eat crap. If you were nearby, I would give it all to you!

So glad lushy has seen the light! Hallelujah!

lushy
September 2nd, 2007, 12:07 PM
What the hell is wrong with fish now? Lucky, you are getting on my nerves.

slightlysuze
September 2nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
The best thing about Breathatarians (apart from being easy dinner guests, as already stated) is that they cough up very socially acceptable airballs. :)

lucky 2.0
September 2nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
We all have our fetishes. I think SS's is the expulsion and examination of hairballs! Well, ya gotta do something if you're not drinking! :)

Prest4time
September 2nd, 2007, 02:30 PM
Breathatarians.... I love it.

Okay, I have done the Macrobiotics for three weeks so far and I feel SO much better. My energy level is so much higher and as a former Yoplait yogurt eater, I can honestly say that I was really afraid of giving up dairy akin to a three-year-old having had their pacifier thrown in the trash.

I can testify to this "sludge" leaving my body as I have chosen to abandon my perch from under the Bessie the cow. Dairy is yummy, but there are not many cultures that continue to drink milk after weaning babies. Many of the cancers so common to the western world have been linked to the large consumption of animal fat, meat and dairy products so rich in our everyday diets. I was really disturbed by an article I read in my local paper about a month ago that shows America being like number 12 in the average age of death, whereas even five years ago we were within the top five of living the longest. We have the most advanced medical technology, but yet with the economic status we have and the availability of anything we could dream of to eat at our fingertips, we are becoming the most obese and cancer-stricken nation. Personally, with my family history, it is scaring me and that's been my motivator to make a drastic change. Macrobiotics takes a lot of time to prepare the food, but I can already tell how much better I feel, and I've lost six pounds in three weeks and I really think a lot of it is just my body detoxifying and getting rid of hairballs... or well sludge. :)

I need some new Breathatarian friends....

Prest4time
September 2nd, 2007, 02:31 PM
Breathatarians.... I love it.

Okay, I have done the Macrobiotics for three weeks so far and I feel SO much better. My energy level is so much higher and as a former Yoplait yogurt eater, I can honestly say that I was really afraid of giving up dairy akin to a three year having had their pacifier thrown in the trash.

I can testify to this "sludge" leaving my body as I have chosen to abandon my perch from under the Bessie the cow. Dairy is yummy, but there are not many cultures that continue to drink milk after weaning babies. Many of the cancers so common to the western world have been linked to the large consumption of animal fat, meat and dairy products so rich in our everyday diets. I was really disturbed by an article I read in my local paper about a month ago that shows America being like number 12 in the average age of death, whereas even five years ago we were within the top five of living the longest. We have the most advanced medical technology, but yet with the economic status we have and the availability of anything we could dream of to eat at our fingertips, we are becoming the most obese and cancer-stricken nation. Personally, with my family history, it is scaring me and that's been my motivator to make a drastic change. Macrobiotics takes a lot of time to prepare the food, but I can already tell how much better I feel, and I've lost six pounds in three weeks and I really think a lot of it is just my body detoxifying and getting rid of hairballs... or well sludge. :)

I need some new Breathatarian friends....

tawnyfrog
September 2nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
airballs :H:H:H:H

Good one, SS!

lucky 2.0
September 2nd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks Prest-

I think our friends have not read any material outside the biased USDA or Dairy Council advertising and that is why they hold on to the false belief that dairy is good for the body. I saw that even the dairy claims for weight loss are being pulled after a lawsuit was brought upon the Kraft congolmerate.

I just came from Whole Foods and it took me FOREVER. I already read all labels so that slows me down but I was overwhelmed by how many diff types of sea vegetables there are. Some for snacking, some for miso soup, and bigger seaweed for other dishes. And so many types of miso. I finally just grabbed one to be done with it. Have no idea which it was and it is still in grocery bag. I came home with 0 dairy. I am in love with the theory of desludging and if I have to eliminate dairy to desludge, no problem.

I am not going whole hog macro chick (though I do have the hip factor down! ) but will be probably 75%. I am quite excited about it.

Dainty Duck

P.S. My airball for SS will be worth framing.

Hey, do you all remember air ferns? Like from the 70's. What a flashback!

lushy
September 2nd, 2007, 04:34 PM
I still need to know what is wrong with frozen fish?

I ADORE Whole Foods but am scared to go there unless I get a raise. I could spend my life savings there. Please let me/us know if you got something really good there Duck.

And you still ain't dainty.

Your Cheese Loving Friend

lucky 2.0
September 2nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
What is wrong with fish? Well, I listened to a podcast just today about the inspection of fish entering the USA. The particular focus was on swordfish. The bigger the fish, the more toxins. And the fish companies get to pick the exact piece of fish to be tested for mercury and there are other bad things that are not tested for. The podcast said the only place to get fish you can be assured is good quality is in the Boston area @ a chain called Legal Fish or Legal something because they do their own testing.

And you will learn from the Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics that freezing disturbs the chi anyway. So there ya go.

And the crustacians just eat the ocean sh*t so they are not better. And you really do not know if the shrimped pooped it all out if it still has poop inside, or the clam, etc.

And after diving with octopuses all around me in Hawaii, I could never ever eat one. They are so amazing to me.

lucky 2.0
September 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
I need to talk to mags and prest to see if they really are chewing each bite of food
50-100x. I understand the theory but seems hard to do.

lushy
September 2nd, 2007, 04:50 PM
50-100x? No way. Impossible.

I agree about the fish. Most of the frozen is from China or Taiwan and that is just nasty. I thought you meant if I had wild salmon from Alaska and froze it something would go awry. Only buy wild fish. All farmed fish feed on poop from other fish because they are crammed in pens and do not have enough food so they are forced to eat the poop that comes from the fish in the top of the pen. It is awful.

lucky 2.0
September 2nd, 2007, 07:41 PM
i am cooking!!!! wonders never cease when sober! i am cooking black rice mixed with mahagony rice. it is now simmering in 2 cups of veggie broth for 40 minutes. this is really huge. i do not cook! the vibration of the grain energy is supposed to put me in more direct communication with the universe over time. dairy puts a film over that energy. one should also chew each bite 50x. not sure if i can do that. the flavor of the rice is supposed to be mushroomy.

maybe cooking will replace booze for me. man, i hope so. i have a $500 gift card @ macy's. tomorrow may go get new pots and pans. some of mine have teflon and that is supposed to be bad.

i could be such a purist if i did not get in my own way.

ok, i am just setting myself up for attack but i really am happy to be cooking and doing a load of laundry @ the same time. this is so unusual!

lushy
September 2nd, 2007, 10:47 PM
Let me know how you liked the black rice. We had it last night for dinner with peanut sauce on it. SOOOOO good.

slightlysuze
September 3rd, 2007, 02:14 AM
That ole technology beat me....I thought I put a post on here last night, but it ain't here......the airball police must have removed it :upset:

I tried that max chewing thing once...it made my jaw ache so I stopped. But that would be another plus for Breatharianismists.....airballs you can chew with no sweat.

Lucky....I've already got the frame. Send me the airball as soon as you can.:)

Oh...and this is day 14 AF....yippee!!

Prest4time
September 17th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Duck,
I manage to get up to about 40 chews and nothing is left in my mouth.... thus the goal for optimum nutrition gathering from what I have chewed... are we on the same wave?

Was that not a crack up when she talked about (in the Hip Chic book) about people staring at her because her eyes were glazed over and she was chewing the same mouthful of food... I'm sorry, but she's a hoot.

My eyes dont get glazed over and I literally counted for a few days... this IS a lot of work! :H

PS: my new potato sub is rutabegas... they are ugly as sin, but so yum and surprisingly sweet! Love em!

chrysa
September 18th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Oh My Dog! As Flip would say. I got it...you people are reincarnates from the 60's. Or Age of Aquarius souls. Love it!!

I cannot sleep due to hip pain..so I'm OK ..drank a little/lot...but took an olmifoln early in the day to make me sharper...I am sensitive I guess so with the pain & that, I am awake..oh well...

I love these macro /veggie recipes & ideas. I think each person needs to find their balance diet at that particular time in their life..life changes are constant. I am very happy to receive all these recipes right now.

Diet for a Small Planet was a cool organic cookbook..balanced lots of protein from grains & soy for kids & young Moms...I still use the bread recipes during the holidays...

Like suze, et al..I too have eliminated dairy except for occasional eggs & I do feel more energy. Do need the fish for protein.. I need less protein as I am older & not interested in building muscle..just maintaining..I don't know about macro for young people though...look at how non-athletic & bit chubby our Asian-Indian friends are...you don;t need muscle to be a Hindu & meditate on top the mountain..but we are westerners --extreme active & stress lifestyles....is there a difference? I am seriou s..what do you think?

tawnyfrog
September 18th, 2007, 01:57 AM
chrysa;196682 wrote:
..I too have eliminated dairy except for occasional eggs
This is why I love Chrysa!

A peer, a soul sister, a kindred spirit. I LOVE Chrysa!

Bluebell
September 18th, 2007, 02:05 AM
This thread is just wonderful.

I have, fired by Lucky's enthusiasm, and knowledge, ordered the book.

I wanna be a soul sista!

My cows have stopped laying though so may have to look into alternatives for that.

tawnyfrog
September 18th, 2007, 02:08 AM
... reminds me of that old Aussie proverb ... "Useless as mammary glands on a chicken's back"

slightlysuze
September 18th, 2007, 03:51 AM
I got that book really cheap on Abebooks (and also the skinny bitch one) and it's got some great ideas.....it's made me buy silken tofu again - gonna try the mayo recipe any day now :H

Chrysa, I an undecided about the protein thing. I know we usually eat way too much in this rich half of the world...but we certainly need a reasonable amount for the body to repair itself etc. Sometimes I find the volume of macro-type stuff is overwhelming...beans, veg etc. When I was a raw food eater for a while (it didn't last lol) I had to eat so much to feel satisfied for any length of time. It fills you up at the time, but an hour later you want to eat again. That's natural for stone-age man I guess - hunting and gathering and cultivating, you probably just 'grazed' a lot - but it's hard to fit into our sort of lives.

I still firmly believe that farmed meat is not good for us (or the planet) and it's best not to eat it, and other than that I think that avoiding dairy is the no. 1 dietary change that makes a real difference.:)

Darn it, though, my hens made excellent cheese on their days off......

chrysa
September 18th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Love you too Tawn..from the very beginning...