Close Call!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close Call!

Ok - just wanted to tell someone, had a close call last night. I was trying to convince myself I would only have a drink when I go out to eat or go out with a friend. So I got back from my son's cub scout meeting and asked hubby if he would like to go out to eat. He said yes, I could not stop thinking about getting there and ordering a glass of wine. I did have a little bit of quilt going on while thinking this, anyway by the time we got there and the waitress took our order, instead of ordering wine, I orderd a diet coke. The feeling had passed. I am so glad it did. Going on Day 8 today, last time I got to day 8 I gave in.
    lease: help me get throught this day!!!

Twosox

Close Call!

phew twosox, that was a close one. but you did it. you know that for you, that urge does pass, so when you get it acknowledge it and let it pass. like period pains i guess (sorry guys!)

roxane

Comment

Close Call!

Well done for resisting the temptation,twosox and congrats on being on Day 8.
      It is amazing how the cravings pass.........it`s like they come in waves........riding it out is so tough at the time, but we just have to look on a craving as we would any other struggle in life and tell ourselves that "this too shall pass", because the craving does.........and we feel fabulous when our conviction to quitting has beaten the craving yet again.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Close Call!

:goodjob: twosox, you did it. its soooooooooo hard isn't it. i'm on day 4 and there is a constant battle in my mind, i KNOW i can't moderate, for me its going to be like learning finding out who i really am & learning how to live.
        you did it twosox and you can do it again today, i hope i can get to day 8.
        :l
        want
        AF since April 8th 2008 :kudos::rays:

Snake....... come crawling,
        There's fire in your eyes,
        Bite me, excite me,
        I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
        Brings eternal flame.
        Open me to heaven,
        To heal me again.

Comment

Close Call!

Thank you roxane! You are right, they do pass its just waiting for it to pass, that really really stinks. I really want to beat this thing, at least for today. Just trying to get by one day at a time.

Twosox

Comment

Close Call!

Twosox -

That is a great story!! I am so proud of you --- and you should be too! It would have been very easy to give in. I am just like you with the out to dinner thing. I was hoping we would go out last weekend so I could justify a drink --- but now, I am glad we didn't.

I am also the same as you today with the record breaking day --- I haven't made it through 10 yet. Let's both do it so we can feel SOOOOOOO good tomorrow!! ) I'll be in touch...

Happy Day 8 to you!

Hugs,
            PL

Comment

Close Call!

wantrealmeaning, I know what your talking about when you say the constant battle in your mind. I have the neverending battle in my mind too, sometimes I think I am going crazy!

Twosox

Comment

Close Call!

PinkLady, we can do this!

Twosox

Comment

Close Call!

Somneone told me to think of urges in terms of surfing, Just ride the wave and stay balanced. Not sure what that means, but maybe it helps. My personal record is 30 days, but I haven't seen that in a while. Stay with it, and keep talking here.
                  "uch: When you kick youreslf in the butt, all you get is a sore butt and a tired foot"

Comment

Close Call!

good job twosox....
                    i passed up the scotch for some good old fashioned tap water last night....
                    i hope that you feel as good as i do for making a stand and doing the right thing...

climb with confidence
                    -maybe, is the new maybe-

Comment

Close Call!

excellent! good job. i know. a glass of wine at dinner doesnt hurt. its just that when we do that the next time we say to ourselves in our head, " oh w:goodjob: ell i had a glass of wine so i already blew it, so whats the shame in drinking tonight?"

Comment

Close Call!

What a familiar scenario! I'm facing a similar one tonight---my "French Club" is coming over for our first meeting of the fall, and in addition to speaking the language, we drink the wine! As hostess, I can keep my hands busy serving the others, and not look noticeable if I don't hold a glass myself.

You'll be my inspiration, so thanks for sharing your very real triumph! And really, we can't all go live in caves and never be in dangerous situations. The fact is, there will always be restaurants and parties and French bistros and Italian trattorie and cookouts and liquor stores on every corner (there's a lovely wine shop I can WALK to---how dangerous is that???

We have to want our sobriety more than we want that glass (or glasses!)

I'd be on Day 51 if not for last Sunday's leeetle three glasses...not a major drunk, but I was SO not proud of the slip.

Best to you!
                        Jane Jane

Comment

Close Call!

Thank you all for your comments, it helps tremedously. Jane Jane you can get through tonight, like iowegian and starlight impress said, we just have to ride out the wave.
                          I do feel great treeman, it's a huge relief - Great job on your own close call.
                          Me145 whenever I slipped before, I did just that, I told myself I will never beable to do this and would just give up and try to moderate, always ended back to my usual 6-8 drinks a day though.

Twosox

Comment

Close Call!

Great job! Man, I sure relate. That damn wine is always a present thought when going out to dinner. Its so ridiculous. Then of course, that ONE glass turns into 3, then a stop at the store to have "just one" more. Then the whole bottle is gone, and then the next day, hangover hell....Good job on getting control!
                            I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Close Call!

Two: Keep procrastinating like you did & the feeling does pass. Don't give in no matter what. As you get into sobriety, the cravings & thoughts aren't as strong. Keep going! Mary (Day 66)
                              Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                              October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X