Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strategies to say no

Hi everyone,

Just curious if you have some strategies to saying no when people around you are drinking. While I am trying to avoid these situations, I have some business trips coming up (one in Vegas of all places) and I know folks with me will be partying.
    So what have you done or said to beat that temptation?

Thanks 3 days AF for me

strategies to say no

You are on antibiotics.

You are on a health kick.

You are allergic to alcohol.

These are ones that spring to mind just now. I have been mulling over what tactics I am going to use too!!!

Best of luck!

Comment

strategies to say no

I am not feeling well.

I am on antibiotics (good one blue, I've used that too)

I am designated driver.
      "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

strategies to say no

i just started a diet ... no thanks
        Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

strategies to say no

No thanks, it triggers my migraines.
          The furture lies before you like newly fallen snow - be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Comment

strategies to say no

these are all good - thanks!!

Comment

strategies to say no

As soon as you get to the party, get a glass of something non-alcoholic (club soda, tonic, coke, whatever) and keep it full. I f somebody offers, hold up your glass and "I'm good for now, thanks".
              "uch: When you kick youreslf in the butt, all you get is a sore butt and a tired foot"

Comment

strategies to say no

I usually say, I'm on the south beach diet. Good thing it is a diet that is trendy enough that people just nod understandingly :H Suz
                The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

strategies to say no

In formal situations - all the above are good and work well.

But sometimes you get light hearted pressure from good friends to have a drink.

In these circumstances - I often use humour.
                  Especially if folks are trying to pressurise me to drink alcohol

I tell folk I just found out I'm pregnant and, if that doesn't work, ( I'm male!) I tell them that alcohol makes the voices in my head tell me to do BAD things!

If they STILL persist - I look serious and say that the doctors tell me I only have one brain cell left - and I have to keep off the drink to give it a fighting chance for survival!

Usually by this time they have given up on getting any sense out of me at all and just order soda water and lime as I asked in the first place!

This not-drinking lark does not have to be all seriousness and doom and gloom! You can still have a laught too - it is allowed!

So saying - most of my friends now know I quit - so they don't bother to try any more.

satori
                  "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

strategies to say no

I go to parties carrying a bottle of water or tea:
                    -"I'm fine for now."
                    Later, when offered something:
                    -"I feel a headache coming on."
                    -"I've had a headache all day."
                    -"I don't drink wine...it triggers headaches."
                    -"I haven't been drinking wine...it triggers a hot flash." (This only works for menapausal women.)
                    -"I think I'll just stick to soda tonight."
                    I find that my friends don't care whether I drink or not. Some of them have seen me at my worst, so they probably know what I'm up to anyway. Normal drinkers aren't nearly as aware of drinking as I am. Mary
                    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X