Don't think my lifestyle helps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My partner and I sold up everything a couple of years ago. we bought a motorhome and left the UK to go travel Europe.
    It didn't quite work out the way I expected it to though. We travelled through France, went ot Portuagal then came across Spain to La Manga. We've been here almost a year now on a campsite.
    The original plan was, that if we BOTH found somewhere we wanted to settle,then we'd buy a place. But this is not where I want to spend the rest of my days. Please don't get me wrong ...it's wonderful here but I feel I need to move on.
    My big problem...all our friends from the UK are returning here for the winter months and all it is...is party party party! ( I think perhaps I should introduce many of them to this amazing site LOL )
    Seriously though ...I don't know how to cope! I can't go to these party's and not drink..they all do it but I don't think they get up next day and have to have what I call a livener!!

We've since bought an RV and a fifth wheel ( all you Americans will know what I mean....you do it SO well )
    It's got to the stage now that I live in the RV and partner prefers the fifth wheel.
    It pee's me off though cos he can down a litre of wine and the rest!!!!!....but if I do ...then it's no speaking for a day or two!!

I did 11 days AF not so long ago.. I felt absolutely GREAT! but it still didn't stop the arguments with him I so went back on it......

My Daughter's coming to visit in 10 days and I MUST get sober for her.. I know how she worries about me and I don't want to ruin her stay. I adore her.

Sorry for the rant.

Mint XXX

Ok, I don't know what a fifth wheel is, but that won't really have much bearing on this post....This one is totally up to you (how helpful is that? lol) if you want to compromise, then stay, otherwise stand up for what you want and move on. HAve you seen and done everything you set out to do?

As for the parties, once again I have no idea. It would piss me off being sober and piss me off if I drank - it would piss me off even more if I was trying to stay sober and this was all happening. Can you go and visit other people and stay right out of it?
    It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

LOL LOL LOL!!!!

Seriously...you've made me laugh.. and I want to thank you for that...it's been awhile!!!!! ...this whole thing .pisses me off.!!
      Nope ..haven't done anywhere near the stuff I want to but tight ass partner will stay here forever just cos it's cheap.....

Hope all is going well with you?

Mint X

Comment

Minty, get your ammo ready and start your AF again. Do you have supplements or the MWO book? I know you can do this. With 10 days under your belt when your daughter arrives you will feel good and will look healthier.

In regards to the partying - don't know what to say about that one. If you get some AF time under your belt before they arrive you might not feel compelled to drink. You could participate socially without alcohol. I know easier said than done, but it can be done!

Keep logging in and read/posting to give you strength and support.

Comment

I'm doing well, got some gossip but a bit loathe to post in case I jinx myself...:-)

I don't compromise very well these days (been divorced for 10 years) so I'd pack my bags and leave, simple as that. Either He comes with you, or he doesn't!

Ok, lets be serious for a sec, you do have to get through this stuff, so get yourself armed as AFM said and reaffirm your decision to be either AF or moderate.

Pretend its' all over, what do you want to look back on and remember?

Comment

big booze fests sound dangerous for you and overall unattractive. The idea of everyone overindulging really does nothing for me. It shouldn't do anything for someone with a real problem as alcohol issues are nothing to party about.

going without alcohol can be done in those settings but probably is much much harder.

you are not happy there anyway. the real issue here is how to come to a compromise with your husband about moving. have you made it clear to him that you don't want to stay?

changing alcohol habits sometimes requires changing environments and this one is not good for you.

Comment

Mint, it sounds like quite a challenge. I hope you have a great time with your daughter. You have the right mind set to be sober for her.

Flip, a 5th wheel is a big trailer that sits in the bed of a pickup truck, kinda like an RV.

Marcie

Comment

Mintytess, as you know I also live in Spain and can imagine the scenario only too well.

Lots of retired/semi retired expats and locals lounging around all day in an confined area with little else to do but get hammered and the booze so cheap they are practically giving it away...

I think its time you did some serious talking with your husband.

I can also think of a number of people who have come to my area to retire without any apparent drink problems, but quickly developed them- I really don't think it is a healthy enviroment if you have a tendency to over indulge.

As for the upcoming parties, if you can't go AF how about putting just a drop of wine in the glass and filling it with gaseosa? (Thats like a clear lemonade over here).

Hard to get drunk that way- I do understand how you would dread to go to these parties without a drink. I think the best answer is don't go.

This summer I have turned down every invitation to such parties- I just tell people I am too busy. It hasn't stopped me drinking but I have drunk an awful lot less than the previous two summers.

Comment

Wow, so you have one of these trailers AND a caravan? it must make an impressive site on the road! Where do you keep the motorbikes and the yacht???? lol

Comment

Working...
                  X