Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time here, 13th hour without wine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone I am new,
    I am just learning how to do all this posting stuff. I have been reading here all day, all over the place. I am hungover, shaking, worried. Sick of myself, sick of the life I have made centred around alcohol and hangovers and regret (getting up to 2 bottles of wine per night, memory loss, bruises, stinking of alcohol the next day). I have tried to stop through willpower alone, my record is 6 days. If I were rich I would have myself locked up in rehab...as it is I have to attempt to prevent my werewolf-like transformation by myself...I dread sundown...that is my usual time to start. I am thinking about tonight, getting through it without giving in to wine...how do I cope with the usual triggers like finishing work and having a "de-stress" drink (never one glass!) or seeing a beautiful sunset and having a "celebratory" drink (never one glass!). Any ideas for my first night without alcohol? I am worried too about going back to work (it's my weekend now):upset: in a couple of days...quitting time will come and I will just go onto total auto pilot to buy alcohol...how do I stop that?

Glad you are here....you sound like ALL OF US....some of us have mastered the journey, some of us, most of us, still struggling....all the "trigger's" are there....they are "excuses" to drink....trust me, I know....lol.....just read the book, you can download it and read it in 2 hrs., I did, and WHEW...did I see myself.....just get the book, supp's, and keep posting and go to "chat".....glad to have you, every person here, gives us all hope, and "experiences", and "why's", and "tries", and "whoa's".....hang in.....PM us if you need to....you can call me anytime....
    "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

Comment

first night without alcohol

Firstly I'd get a really good absorbing film to watch. I'd make sure there is no wine in the house, and I'd get undressed really early too. (Making 'popping out' harder is more likely to make you question whether you can be bothered). I would also go to sleep earlier than usual. This makes the evening shorter, and makes you feel much better the following morning than you are used to feeling (hungover, etc.).
      Those are all practical steps. I think the main thing is to detach yourself from thoughts about wine. If you feel yourself beginning to fantasize about it stop. Try to do something else like listening to some music that makes you want to dance, or chat to someone about something unrelated to your struggle. Tell yourself that wine isn't for you, at least not tonight, it's something other people do. you don't. Spoil yourself with a really nice fruit juice or tomato juice. Imagine the good you are doing your body.
      It's not easy. And it certainly isn't the same as drinking wine. But I have actually been surprised to find it was easier than I expected. I think the thought of stopping held me back to the point of thinking I couldn't do it. But I can, and so can you.
      You have to really want it. And don't give in. You'll be so proud of yourself if you don't.

Comment

Little Wheel:welcome:

You can download a copy of the 'My way out' book, if you go to 'home' the 'store', I think its about $13.

Then get the supplements mentioned there as fast as possible, they really do help with the cravings.

I would suggest if nothing else go to a health store get a multi vitamin B tablet, L- Glutamine (1000mg twice a day) and Kudzu (mine is 150 mg with 2% Diadzin) take 4 of these a day- that is just until you can get the other stuff as stated in the book.

Best of Luck.

Comment

Hi Littlewheel & :welcome: to MWO ....

I found this place almost a year ago, and boy is it a fabulous place to be ....Reading and posting here is how I pass my danger times. There is always someone here to 'listen' and empathise .... we all truly know how hard it is ....
          sigpicXXX

Comment

Hi Littlewheel and welcome:welcome:

You have come to a great place. Do as the others suggest. I'm not taking the topa but take the supplements, listen to the cd's. It's still a struggle but this place really helps.

Rustop

Comment

Hello again,
              Thank you all for the friendly replies today. I keep reading them over to sink in that I am doing this properly this time, no backsliding. There are others out there!
              It has been about 18 hours since my last drink. I have just spent 3 hours in the bath drinking litres of water, sweating out the hangover. My hands are shaking, I realise now I maybe should steer clear of coffee for a while. I know I will not go out tonight and buy any booze. As long as I don't change out of pajamas, I can't leave the house...(thank you for that tip cookinghappy!)
              I can't think straight on anything for too long though. I am starving and can't even focus on making myself something to eat. Leftovers it is now then. This is unbelievable, lucky I made some chilli a few nights ago...I just spent 20 minutes staring at take-out menus unable to read past restaurant phone numbers...what has happened to my brain?
              I was too scared and sick to leave the house today in case I bought more alcohol. I will get some other stuff like milk thistle tommorrow. I have dosed up on vitamin b I have valerian here too which might (?) calm me down.
              The first 72 hours were hell last time I did this...I only got in 6 days sober. 6 days now looks like a mountain to me. I am worried I can't do this at all...I look around me at everyone I know and see and deal with in my life, and they all drink alcohol (or do drugs or both)...I feel like I would need to be in a cave to avoid it...
              I am worried about leaving my house. I feel as though everyone I see will look at me and know this guilty secret just by looking at me...

What do you guys do when that auto-pilot voice starts pushing you towards buying some booze? I will come on here when I am home, but I worry about when I am out shopping, or going to and from work...I feel like I just want to never leave the house again...

I am trying to picture my life, my future without alcohol...I can't see it clearly at the moment...I have not lived without alcohol since I was a kid...I don't remember what it was like not to have it every day. I know people do live without it I just can't picture me that way (yet).
              I can't plan anything big in this state of mind...I want to try for the 6 days then 2 weeks then a month and keep going...I only have you guys to help because I am so embarrassed that this has been my life for so long.

Thanks again for the offers of support and the advice.
              Littlewheel

Comment

Littlewheel,

:welcome:

I can't add much to what the others said. I just wanted to add my welcome.

It isn't easy but it is achievable. You can beat this.

Remember, your thoughts are just thoughts. It is hard to beat them back but you can.

Read the book first. It is a big help and a good start.

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Littlewheel,

I was posting while you were.

It does seem corny, the one day at a time approach, but that is where it is.

One day at a time. In the beginning, one hour at a time.

I, too, have been drinking since I was 16. I am 50.

Looking into the future is too hard and daunting. Don't do it. Look in little spaces of time. Address the short term for now.

First things first. Pamper yourself. If you are physically addicted, consider going to a doctor to be evaluated for withdrawal. Read the section about alcohol withdrawals to make sure you are okay there.

Take care of yourself physically first.
                  Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hi littlewheel and welcome.
                    I was exactly as you are now..........the first thing you have to do is tell yourself that there is no such a thing as going "onto total auto pilot to buy alcohol" unless we`re not of sound mind...........that`s yet another EXCUSE (one of my old favourites too)..........there`s no auto pilot involved here.........it`s simply the drunk in you who is buying the wine........get your head around this truth and you`re on your way.

Put very simply.........if you don`t buy it.........you can`t drink it. Am not suggesting it`s easy not to buy.........best to shop where alcohol isn`t sold for the first few days. You`ve got yourself drinking as a reward for doing well at something and drinking as a commiseration for anything in life not going so well.........I drank every night, due to the very same excuses as yours.

Evidently, you are sick of this lifestyle and want to change........that change all starts the first night you don`t bring wine home.

You`ll find wonderful support here.
                    Wishing you love and strength for the journey ahead,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Littlewheel, Just thinking about what Cindi said, how much were you drinking before? It can be dangerous to go cold turkey, might be worth calling your doctor for advice ......

You are doing really well so far, you should be really proud of yourself ....
                      sigpicXXX

Comment

L-Glutamine on empty stomach?

marbella;199358 wrote: Little Wheel:welcome:

You can download a copy of the 'My way out' book, if you go to 'home' the 'store', I think its about $13.

Then get the supplements mentioned there as fast as possible, they really do help with the cravings.

I would suggest if nothing else go to a health store get a multi vitamin B tablet, L- Glutamine (1000mg twice a day) and Kudzu (mine is 150 mg with 2% Diadzin) take 4 of these a day- that is just until you can get the other stuff as stated in the book.

Best of Luck.
                        Hey guys,
                        I have L-glutamine and wonder if you take it on an empty stomach or not? Any side effects? etc...also, can you overdose on valerian or milk thistle?
                        littlewheel:thanks:

Comment

Don`t be embarassed about your drinking littlewheel........we`ve all been there.

You did 6 days before...........says you can most certainly do it this time around.

As for the "auto pilot".........just tell yourself you`re bigger and tougher than it.........I promise it gets easier every day.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

up to 2 bottles red wine 14% alc. per night every night

betty boop;199393 wrote: Littlewheel, Just thinking about what Cindi said, how much were you drinking before? It can be dangerous to go cold turkey, might be worth calling your doctor for advice ......

You are doing really well so far, you should be really proud of yourself ....
                            Thank you so much...I was up tp 1 to 2 bottles a night...I am worried about this cold-turkey too, but I can't moderate glass by glass once I open the alcohol...I have no willpower...I am too embarrassed to see a doctor...I don't think I can even physically talk to anyone right now, let alone get through the doctors exam...I don't know why...they have probably seen it all before...I just don't know...littlewheel

Comment

Well, 2 btls/wine at 14% every night is rather heavy.

I was embarassed to consult doc, but I did..........he was very understanding and said the drink can seize hold of any of us. Doc will give you meds to ensure you withdraw safely.

How much were you drinking before you did the 6 days AF and did you do cold turkey then?
                              I decided to do cold turkey, but by that time, I had cut down to a nightly btl of 12% wine, so withdrawal was safe for me, although still tough.

Comment

Working...
                              X