Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Threw away the whiskey -- now what?

Hi all!

This is only my 3rd day here (I think -- I lost track of the first two because of TOO MUCH WHISKEY). I know, that makes me sound like such a run-over-by-a-truck type of a drinker. You know, the kind you see on t.v. but never really meet any of them. God, I hope that wasn't me.

Anyway, I threw the whiskey down the drain but still have red wine in the house. My challenge is going to be to tell my husband when he comes back into town that we can't have any hard liquor in the house. I'd rather have no alcohol at all, but I think that's asking too much. He's going to think I'm weird, or weak, or in need of professional help....

I know he's going to open a bottle of wine tonight, and I know he will instinctively pour me a glass. This is going to be so different for us all with me just drinking -- what -- at night. What should I drink now? Tea? I don't like tea very much, except sweet tea and then I'll just gain weight. I almost wish I could just fool him and everyone else into thinking that I"m drinking so they don't look at me like something is wrong. A friend is also coming over tonight who regularaly has a drink or two here. I will feel awkward not offering her anything or just offering her a glass of wine while I drink -- what? So any tips on making yourself look normal to others who are used to seeing you drink? I know I can do this on my own, but with the outside influences, that's where I know I will get challenged. I just keep telling myself, "I am going to do this," as if I'm in a track meet or something. "I am going to cross the finish line." If I treat it like a competitive sport, then I feel better about it. But my husband's lack of cooperation and friend's weird looks will be the hurdles I have to jump over to make it. Wow, that was sort of poetic, eh?

Anyone want to have a contest? That might be fun, but actually no... I don't want to see anyone fail. I take it back. This is a contest between the old me and the new me.

Hey Mokigirl

(The views and opinions endorsed here are strictly those of the rather inexperienced person posting them etc etc :H )

You could always tell your friend you're on a health kick???

As for your hubby, until you have 'the talk' with him, it's hard to make any changes to any ingrained behaviours you both have.

If just for tonight you can't get through the visit without a glass of red wine with her, then do what you feel is honestly the bst you can do given the circumstances. Talk to hubby.
    Lie. Whatever. Remember, this is all about YOU.

However... Please come back here tomorrow and talk to other more experienced members about stuff, (not sounding like a 'sponsor' of any sort).

We are all in the same boat, but some have been paddling longer.

(PS I didn't mean lie to hubby, I meant you don't necessarily have to tell your friend the whys and wheres of you drinking tea, or soda water and lime, or orange juice etc)
    (PPs Re: gaining weight, try the Splenda or some such additive in the tea, honey is a great thing, my hubby swears by it in his tea, and it's nature's natural sugar)

B

Comment

An upset stomach is always a good one, the thought of an mad diarrahea toilet run always seems to put people of trying to talk you into it.

Good luck.

(BTW Pheonix, have you noticed I am stalking??!!)

Comment

A friend of mine used to pour her friends red wine and then make herself blackcurrant and drink it from a wine glass!

For me, I wouldnt have that willpower, I cant have alcohol in the house whatsoever!

Best wishes to everyone out there

Comment

First of all, :goodjob: on throwing out that whiskey ......

Get through tonight the best you can even if it means having a glass of wine ....

Tomorrow will be easier .......
          sigpicXXX

Comment

Ha-ha! I love the idea of a mad dash diarrhea toilet run! I guess this is a good way to weed out drinking pals versus good friends, right? But she is a good friend, I think, but this is the behavior we've established with each other. Once again, those dratted habits.

Black currant sounds good. Virgin margaritas, maybe. Nobody would notice if I didn't put the tequila in mine. Well, maybe they wouldn't. Okay, I'm going to have a bag of tricks. And I'm on a "diet." That sounds good too. I might have one glass, but I do know myself and how that tends to go.

I know, my husband and I have to have "the talk." We've circled around it, and funnily enough, I had "the talk" with him about five years ago about HIS drinking habits. Now I've adopted them and people probably dread being around me when there's alcohol involved (or when it's not, since I'm usually quite buzzed and droopy-eyed by the time I see them anyway).

Good luck to all of you too! We HAVE to do this for ourselves. I used to love myself, and lately I've questioned my own worth. Not good.

Comment

Marby

Sorry will u excuse us we're having a domestic

LOL
              You're the stalker all right, right behind me u internet FIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B

Comment

See???? I AM THE STALKER

Is that how you spell that word? Looks funny in caps !?!
                Mokigirl, YOU NEED NEVER QUESTION YOUR SELF-WORTH.

We are all here, flippancy and all, with one major item of baggage for which we must pay extra at check-in...
                Fair play to you, (mother of God I SOUND Irish, or Oirish as some would say...) as Betty Boop said, for chucking the whiskey. You are glad you did that, "one giant step" and all that jazz.

Take care of you tonight, and remember there is always someone here on the boards, with the time difference, so be here if it's comfortable for you to be here.

B

Comment

Working...
                X