Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Newbies in need ODAT

Good morning everyone

Hope you all had a good week and managed what ever goal you set yourself. If not dont worry, I have had so many fits and starts since I started this programme. The one thing that has been consistent is that I keep coming back to this site and have had more AF days in the last 18 months than the previous 13 years. I am still striving, ODAT, and with all your support hope to achieve so many things. The first will be 30 Days in a few days time. Have not had that in over a year so will be delighted.

Hope everyone has a good week-end. I have nothing too exciting planned, just to keep away from the dreaded vino.

Rustop

Wishing everyone a happy and fulfiled ODAT Friday. I'm so glad I did it (do it!) ODAT. Soooh much easier than big counting - every time I counted I felt wobbly so just do today folks!! And be proud.

Love and hugs
    FMF xx
    :heart: c: :heart:
    "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Good Morning everyone! As we were talking about yesterday, "thinking past the drink" has really helped me alot this week. I was in a similar situation yesterday, but actually DID pour myself a drink. About two sips into it, I started thinking how the rest of my night would turn out. Most of us already know dont we? Well it was enough to make me stop, and I did stop. Im grateful for this site, and for all of you. Keep reaching for your goals and never give up.
      I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Hi Everyone: I really like the concept "thinking past the drink." I know I romanticize the first drink, & what it's effect it will have on me. I feel great today & will guard my sobriety. We're having a birthday celebration for one of our Alanon friends. There won't be any drinking at the party, so I'm not worried. I know the weekend is an extra challenge for some of us, but I'm not thinking ahead. Just for today, I'm staying sober. Mary
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Happy Friday All,

I am going to really have to focus on ODAT or even OMAT(one minute at a time) this weekend as I'm travelling with my sister to see my son at school(about a 6hour drive). I know as soon as we hit the hotel the bar is going to be calling me and that is how I normally unwind after a long trip. I'll have to really think through the first drink and remember that even though my sister will be as anxious as me to have that first drink she'll have one or two and then lose interest. If I order a drink I'll be left hanging there wishing for more and obsessing about how I can get more.

I bought a book on cd for the ride and the author has a very soothing voice so maybe that will help......

It helps so know that we are not alone in this.
          If I don't get back to post before I leave have a great weekend all. Weekends are tough!!!

Janet

Comment

ODAT

I like the ODAT thing, it is like AA, but if you mess up, it is OK, not the end of the world!!

I just f**'d up in AA and had almost 60 days and am being treated (or so I feel) like a leaper (is that spelled right??) I forgive myself, but cannot seem to stop now that I have started again, DON'T WANT TO YET!!! Does that make sense? When I am ready, I will go ODAT, who knows, let me see how I feel after work today, maybe today is it??

I love you all, thanks for this great site and all your wisdom!

MA
            :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

I drank a few glasses of Merlot last night and my slight headache is reminding me why I prefer to be AF. Last nights dinner prep had 3 major interruptions and I caved into the wine at about 7 PM while waiting for the food. The key for me is to have dinner by 6PM every evening. I can refrain from wine until 6:00 and once I eat I have no interest in drinking.

I'm not kicking myself too much as my plan is 5 AF days per week and I have 4 AF's so far the week. Today I guess I am missing my crystal clear head and the strong sence of accomplishment from being AF yesterday. I need to implement thinking through the first drink. I think that is an incredible strategy.

My best to everyone this weekend.

TC

Comment

hi everyone,
                i didn't drink last night. i'm feeling anxious today, but i'm not going to drink.
                hopefully after a good period of not drinking i'll discover who i am, at the moment i haven't got a clue.
                hope everyone is well and reaching their goals.
                love want
                :h
                AF since April 8th 2008 :kudos::rays:

Snake....... come crawling,
                There's fire in your eyes,
                Bite me, excite me,
                I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
                Brings eternal flame.
                Open me to heaven,
                To heal me again.

Comment

TC -- nice goal: 5 AF days, with mod the rest. Wow, that seems like a biggie for me right now, but I think *maybe* I can shoot for it. Gearing up for it. Today of course is dreaded/beloved FRIDAY and that means happy hour tonight and dinner afterward and I have to be honest -- I am going to drink tonight. But here's my goal: a club soda between each glass of wine and NO hard alcohol. Think I can Think I can Think I can.

Comment

Good morning.
                    Retteacher - you make a good point about "romantacizing" the drink. That is what we do, isn't it. And we know it isn't based in reality, when the full experience (overdrinking, hangover, guilt, long term consequences) are considered.
                    I'll remind myself, when I'm tempted, that I"m romanticizing. Part of the "thinking through the drink". I'm sure I'll need that for the weekend. When's the last time I didn't drink on a Friday night? The hardest will be Sunday when my daughter is at her dad's. But if I don't drink before then I"ll have several AF days in a row and that should make it easier. But - anyway - ODAT!!

I am not going to drink today!
                    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Good morning ODATers,

I am still sitting in the hotel room suffering a bit from a panic attack. I haven't had a panic attack in years, not since I was in my 30s.

I am starting to settle down, though, so I am getting better. This was a rough one for me.

Okay. Starting out again today.

Take care all and we will head into the weekend posiitve.

:h
                      Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hi Cindi

Big deep breaths, in through your nose, out through your mouth.

This too, shall pass.

You're O.K. Here's my hand.

m. xx
                        ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                        I am in the next seat.
                        My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Oh man, you guys make my cry. So many have been kind and helpful today. I really needed it, too.

There is so much love and compassion here.

:h :l

Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Better?

This was a hard week for you, sweets.

Try to look at the positive, how well you did, and will do.

We are all so proud!

m. xx
                            ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                            I am in the next seat.
                            My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Hi again: I'm doing OK, but I'm getting ready for guests tonight. That's a major trigger for me: cooking special food & sipping along while I'm doing it. I'm thinking past the drink by remembering that I can't have just a few. I'd have to overdo, because I'm an alcoholic. I'd be the only one drinking or drunk tonight, because it's an Alanon crowd, & nobody drinks. Do I want to entertain w/a headache & miserable attitude, all the while pasting a phoney smile on my face? No! Well, that little explanation just convinced me to pour myself a nice glass of soda & sip that while cooking. Good luck everyone. Cindi, I'm in your corner. Don't give up...your body will thank you so much for it. I know how my 62 year old body feels when I'm sober, & I know how it feels hungover..big difference. Hang in there. Mary
                              Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                              October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X