Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im new.... and really hoping I can find support to be successful at quiting....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read these boards each time I've told myself that I'm going to quit. Unfortunately, I never did. I"m 40.... have an executive position..... and can't control my drinking. It started out a few years ago having a couple every once in a while after work. A bad habit I got from a good friend. Now, I have 5-6 beers a night. It's always beer.... and it's every night. I've been wasting my life away. Instead of coming home and doing things outside, I like to stay inside and drink. It was a beautiful day outside today.... and I started drinking at noon. Had 7 and quit so that I could eat and then sleep. That's my routine. I come home... I drink... then eat.. and sleep. I saw myself in the mirror the other day. I look older than I should and I used to have such great skin, etc. I've had horrible fights with my husband and daughter because I was drunk. My husband is a social drinker... he never drinks during the week and only occasionally on the weekend. He hates it that I drink. He's even tried hiding my beer. I just buy more.

I want to feel better... and enjoy life again without constantly thinking that I want a beer. It has consumed my life. Tomorrow is Oct. 1st. I've told myself that I am going to quit on that date. How do I start? I've tried this before... but the urge to have one overpowers me. How can I do this successfully? I've seen where you can get some mediciation to help. Do I need to see a psyc. to get that? Help!

Dear Travel Girl - I don't know that I can offer any advice to you, because I am in the same boat as you, but maybe we can help each other. I just registered today after watching this site for a long time and providing myself with another destructive weekend
    (my drug of choice is wine), I too have said that tomorrow - October 1st is D day. Let's do it together? Anyone else want to join us?
    FindingMyGrace

Comment

Welcome to you both. Amino acids are KEY in helping with the cravings. So are the supplements recommended in this program. Our brains are so depleted from the overdose of alcohol and they need them in order to feel normal again. Please take them. They will help. Nothing is a magic pill but it will make it easier. Also the hypno CDs here really help me a ton. Keep coming around here, you will find many people here to support you!!! :welcome:
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

I am one not to give advice however I started out patient rehab 15 days ago and learned more about myself and family in two weeks than in 30 years. If you want to quit it is not easy. i found the help I need and thank god and every one here for there help and support. I CANNOT AND WILL NOT DRINK AGAIN ECHOME

Comment

Thanks for the support.....

Finding My Grace.... I would be glad to go through this together with you (and anyone else). I'm going to do it this time. I have to.

Is there anything over the counter I can purchase to help with the cravings? The post earlier referred to Amino Acids but I'm not sure what that means exactly. Thanks!

Comment

There is a section on this website titled "Health Store" and you can order supplies from there. The MY WAY OUT book outlines what the supplements are and how to take them. I ordered the book, but if you would prefer you can download it from the website, that's quicker.
            I'm glad to have a buddy and a whole team of support - let's beat this monster and regain our dignity.

Comment

God love you travel girl. You've taken the first step. You're here!!!! No quick solutions. Girl, I run a business and understand exactly what you're saying. It is not easy. I just joined this site in the past 2 weeks and am going to try the recommended solution. Please join me in a cocktail of vitamins, etc (all the listed "non alcoholic" ingrediants"). I'm older than you and had a few more years of non exercise, etc. My husband is younger than me and I'm trying to fight the jealousy of him looking at other, younger women plus worrying about business. It was easier to just forget my problems at the bottom of a bottle, but no more. We have to like the person staring back in the mirror. I'll help you, if you help me.

Comment

Echome,
                Thanks for the encouragement. I read your story about your wife and I feel your sorrow. I love your quote and I it help me I can not and will not drink again.
                Also what really hit home with me was your part about -

If you love someone don't wait until it is to late to get help. Only now do I understand what I have done.
                I wish you all of the best - Tomorrow is my Day 1and I think your day 16
                FindingMyGrace

Comment

Hey there TravelGirl, FindyMyGrace,Echome and bane of Noah and of course HELLO Lushy! I started a support thread for anyone who wants to try AF for October-it's headed "Alcohol Free Octoberfest". We got through September pretty well together so come and see if you keen. Lovely bunch! Check out AF Anyone? thread too...
                  Full is not nearly as heavy as empty, my love...
                  Not nearly. -Fiona Apple-

Comment

Hi Travel Girl and welcome. There are quite a few threads going right now where people are going for alcohol free days. I saw one here in Just Starting Out and also there is the 30 Days??? one in the General Discussion Thread, Alcohol Free Octoberfest. You can jump into any of them. There is the Monthly Abstinence Forum and also in Monthly Moderation there is a thread going started by Waves called "A new month tomorrow" where a group of us moderators are now giving it a go to be alcohol free for the month of October.
                    You see there is a ton of support here for you.
                    I agree that the amino acids are great for cravings. Kudzu, L Glut and also read the book. If you choose to step it up there are forums here about prescriptions that people are trying out and what what works for them.

I wish you the very best.
                    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Hi Travel Girl and welcome

I second everything the others say. Get the book and read the threads. I ordered everything, book, supplements, cd's etc from the Health Store here. I used them all except the topa and have just completed 30 Days AF. I am now starting another 30 today. Join in on any of the threads, you will be made feel welcome and good luck.

Rustop

Comment

Hello to Everyone!!!
                        I am new too! I wish us all the Very Best luck. I know I certainly need it.
                        I know I am exhausted of trying to rid myself of this horrible disease. I am on the verge of losing my boyfriend to this sickness. He definetely has one foot out the door, so I hope I am not too late.
                        I look forward to talking more with all of you!!!
                        Lishy:new:

Comment

Welcome Travel Girl and Lishy! Lishy, do you know Lushy?

Wishing you both much success with the program.

Comment

Working...
                          X