Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new here and would like some help

Hello,
    Actually i started my threads in "Long Time Abstainer" section, one of the members advised me to post threads in this section as i am just starting out and this section is quite active were i will get lots of help from the begainers and others.My story goes like this...i have been drinking for several years now, intially it started as a fun and now i tottaly got traped in to it.Acually i do not have any serious problem in my life for which i have to drink it is just because of others drinkers company i went in to it further and further.i tried so many times to stop drinking but never suceeded. i went to AA meeting only once i never went back againe because i felt that meeting was of all sick peoples.there after i never gave serious thought of giving away drinks i thought problem is out my hand and there is no point in strugalling for it.However last six months i am getting depression,frastration,feel like leaving my job,my family is getting distrubed ,health is also not keeping well, beacause of all this frastrating problems i again got up and strarted searching webs were i can get some help to solve my problem i registered in MWO last week and started reading many posts send by members.first day of my joining i did not drink in the after noon drank after 8.15 p.m at evening (normally i start at 6.p.m) next day i did not drink full day after that i drank two days and to day i am again thinking no to drink. when that drinking times comes i am getting headache,feels thirsty,feels uneasy.pl.advice further as to how to control this withdrawals effects.

thanks
    regard

Welcome dilip - you've come to the right place. Download the book, or you can get it from amazon, find out as much as you can about the programme and get yourself on the vitamins & supps straight away. Keep posting and reading old posts - the people on here are so supportive and inspirational. Good luck on your journey Dilip!! Janicexxx
    AF since 9 May 2012
    Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Welcome Dilip,
      You will find that many people have come here for the same reason that you have. The drinking has just gotten to the point where there has to be a change. Whether you decide to moderate or stop all together there are people here who will support you.
      I agree that reading RJ's book is crucial. She has great recommendations as to what to do.
      Good luck and keep coming back.
      "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

I am a Newbie as well! Just got the book today and doing the suppliments. I won't get to Top until the 13th to the 20th. I do have the CD and listened to it last night while falling asleep. Best night of sleep I have had in a long time.

I am excited about the program. Do I have to wait until I get my Top before beginning the full program?
        :new:

Comment

hello,
          After joining AF i considerably reduced my drink.in my case what happens is that mentally i dont feel like drinking but wthdrawals are making hell of a problems.yesterday i din't drink whole day noon time i had lot of distrubuance of withdrawals but i controlled itI. In the evening again withdrawals started, i was feeling uneasy so i bought half bottle of hard liquir and kept in the house i did not drink but i beacame relaxed thinking that i have the supply i can drink any time i did my eveinig prayers and about 8 p.m i had 60 m.l. but while drinking there was disliking i felt like throughing the glass but forcefully i again had 60 m.l out of which i left 1/2 glass and had my dinner.i think one has to contoll this withdrawals either medically or by forcefully.

thanks.
          reagards

Comment

Hi Dilip,

you are in the right place here!
            You know i get thoses headaches and feeling tired if i dont have a drink.

wishing you lots of luck

Teardrop.x
            family is everything to me

Comment

:welcome: hi dilip
              if you're having very bad withdrawls i wouldn't deal with it forcefully because depending on how much you drink and for how long, without medical treatment you can get very sick to the point of having dt's which can be deadly. do you have a dr. you can trust? i really don't suffer to much withdrawl symptoms. after 10-15 hours of not drinking, i do feel somewhat tired but i can function. i think my withdrawl symptoms are not as bad because even though i drink more then i should, i've been taking the supplements RJ recommends, maybe the supplements would help you as well. my biggest problem is psychological cravings; my body wants to reject the alcohol but my mind wants to that high and numbness. so i'm dealing with this by exercising, and taking it one day at a time. i've decided to be AF for the next two weeks and see how i do; then i'll decide if i need to do another 2 weeks. my ultimate goal is to moderate but right now i know it's not going to work for me. i wish you the best, it's tough but we can do this. i'm new too so we can start this journey with other newbies.
              :huggy
              "Love is large, love defies limits. People talk about the sanctity of love...love is by definition sacred. Not some love between some people but all love between all people" ~ Jennifer Beals

Comment

would like to say hello and share

Hello dilip and others, I am new her as well, have been reading threads for past couple of months but have not posted till just the other day on the meds thread. Similar story to all of yours, started drinking for fun in late teens, drank more in college but usually weekends, met first husband out drinking with friends, got divorced and picked up drinking during the week to sleep and not think about things. I got remarried to a wonderful man going through a divorce as well and we both were drinking. I am very happily married 8 years now but have keep the weekly habit, just use it to numb other things "self medicate" I was ashamed to ask for help because I did not want to think of myself as an alcoholic. I gravitated to MYO because her story is very similar and moderation is my goal. I have found the most important thing is to gather as much knowledge as you can and not be afraid to talk to people you thrust (spouse, friend, therapist , or doctor) I am terrible at reading instructions and following them, I did get the book, supplements and cds, I felt the topa side effects were unacceptable. I first saw a psychiatrist who put me on Keppra ( a antisezuire med alternative) did not work, Trazadone for sleep, (works pretty well, sometimes tired for the first hour up) and Campral. I thought the Campral worked at first but gravitated back to old ways. Once I completed MYO supplements I started reading more about vitamins and nutrition for cravings. Potatoes not Prozac has been interesting about alcohol cravings as well as belive it or not vitamins for dummies, there is a section on alcholism and vitamin supplements. Kind of more my speed on understanding vitamins and minerals.

Comment

Ok, I quess I got alittle long winded and filled up the last post. With all of my info together I still gravitated back to my old ways. I now work with my therapist on my triggers and got brave enough to bring it up to my doctor. I did however order naltrexone online and put it in my drawer as I was afraid to take it. Sunday I decided to give it a try as I was going back to my old ways too much. Quess what I think its working. I did first post on the meds thread and got some great info from Drunknomore and am researching that. Anyway, sorry so long but thought it important to share as I have been reading for so long and not sharing. best to all

Comment

Hi

welcome to the group. I can identify with so much of what you said. I haven't tried any meds. Can you get Naltrexone without a prescription? Wonder how it works in conjunction with antidepressants. I'm on Zoloft.
                    Good luck and hang in there!
                    AF since Jan. 25th, 2011 :thumbs

Comment

meds without a prescription

Hi Auntigrislda, Yes you can order Naltrexone & Topamax (if you choose topa, I ordered it but have not been that desperate yet, hope not) alot of folks on here seem to trust River Pharmacy so thats who I went with. $68.05 plus shipping for 30 tabs in a blister/foil pack. I was alittle concerned when I recieved email tracking that my package was in customs however I read that is normal since it comes from out of the country. The other thing is you have to sign for it, it comes in a CD mailer and I was wondering what the mailman thought, like I should care, they probably know everything about us anyway by the rest of our mail. I will however talk to my doctor about a regular prescription or possibly the psychatrist who originally gave me Campral. I talked to my doctor about the Campral about a month ago as I had a med follow up for Paxil, I'm not sure about side effects. I have noticed I am alittle more say manic like, not bad, I suppose I will go on Naltrexone web site and read more about it. Anyway, I quess thats why my therapist was so happy when she heard I finally brought up my drinking with my doctor, she watches out for the rest of my health and I suppose I need to be totally honest and comfortable or find another doctor. Hey, its 8:43 and I would surely have at least 1/2 bottle of wine by now and have not had any. Wish me luck

Comment

hello,
                        has anyone tried breathing exercise called "PRANAYAM" some people left driking after doing that.you can see the web .:: Divya Yog Mandir (Trust) ::. for more details.
                        thanks
                        regards.

Comment

:welcome: dilip i dont know what country your from but in the uk we can get diazepan(valium)for coming off,withdrawing from alcohol is terrible and scary and the effects it can do to you ie dts, cramps, panic attacks etc etc...........i phoned up the alcoholic councilling place 3 oclock in the morning pure withdrawing hallucinating snakes coming out of my wall sweating hot and cold etc etc and asked for advice on how to calm down from 3 bottles of vodka i was drinking a day his reply was simple that if i couldnt get to a doctor you gradually have to taper yourself off(not saying this is the answer)to stop any withdrawls many people have died with not the effects of alcohol but with the fits when withdrawing so its better to see a doctor than withdrawing by yourself anyway youve found a good site best of luck to you and hang in there from mitch
                          Nothing improves the memory more than trying to forget.

Comment

Dilip - I looked at your link and wish I could understand what was said for the breathing exercise. I understood the pictures but not the words. Do you find it helpful?

Comment

hello twanyfrog,
                              though i am doing these breathing exercise for last one year regularaly i could not stop drinking but problems caused because of drinkings got cured like,urine smell.colour of urine.appetitide,stammering,etc.However there are many people who have done this pranayama exersise have left drinking,after doing this many people have become vegeterian.you can also try on "astha" T.V channel i think it is paid channel in U.K Canada.i do not know about its availability in Australia.Then another think which i have noticed is that whenever we cook non veg dishes at home for instance chiken,fish ther is more temptation for drink and consumption also becomes more.

thanks
                              regard

Comment

Working...
                              X