Need some reinforcement!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some reinforcement!

Okay, I'm only on day to of being AF, and I just did errands with my mother and am fighting the urge not to drink a beer right now. Someone tell me how much I don't want this! I know I will regret it if I do; I know I made a commitment for all the right reasons, but gosh... my heart is pounding and I feel so stressed right now.

I know everyone on here goes through this. ARG! Someday I will laught about this feeling....

Need some reinforcement!

Oops, I meant "day two" not "day to." See, I am stressed!

Comment

Need some reinforcement!

You will feel so much better if you don't take that first drink - you are right to keep reminding yourself of that. Anything you can do as an outlet for the stress that you are feeling (besides drinking)?

I find that quiet meditation help me when I feel that way. I try to identify what is eating at me, then use the tools I have developed to let go out it. Being here is one of those tools, by the way. Sharing and discussing with others always makes my problems a little 'smaller' than I thought they were.

Hang in there - I know it's hard when your starting out, but every journey begins with that first step.

AAthlete
      (109 days AF, but whose counting.....)
      Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Need some reinforcement!

You're right. I have never tried meditation. Off I go...

And yes, sometimes just venting is the best medication.

Congrats on your success!

:thanks:

Comment

Need some reinforcement!

Good luck, and I guess I failed to mention that my second stress relief technique is a Diet Coke and a small tin of Pringles.....

Like I said, it's all about using your tools!

AAthlete
          (109 days AF, but whose counting.....)
          Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Need some reinforcement!

Hope you hang in there mokigirl.........it`s sooooooo very worth the struggle.

Sending you love and strength,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Need some reinforcement!

Im working on day 4 and have made it till 6:41 I am going to take the kids to the park

Comment

Need some reinforcement!

Moki and Gone, Hang in there! Tell yourself " I will not drink tonight, I will not drink tonight"

You are in charge of what you put in your mouth. The Booze Beast is what is telling you to drink. Don't listen to it. It is not you. You don't want to drink. YOU do not want to drink.

Do you hear the two different voices in your head? One is the Beast telling you to drink. The other is the real you. YOU do not want to drink. You must learn to recognize the Beast and squash it like a bug.

Hang in there and take it one day at a time. Get through the first few days and it will get easier. Check out the chat room here if you want to talk with us.

You can do this...

Don

Comment

Need some reinforcement!

Oh gosh, I almost made it. I did have one beer. But it tasted bad, and I almost threw it out. Now I feel feverish and guilty. I drank tea, I attempted to meditate with two kids in the house (ha!), did a puzzle, played cards with the kids, drank more tea, drank coffee, but DID NOT have any diet sodas in the house! Darn it! Maybe that was my breaking point. I am very much addicted to those diet sodas. Pretzels are great too. :-) I did eat some chips and really spicy hot sauce, since that always gives me a good warm feeling, but in the end, I guess that voice one out, but only briefly, and I did not let it win me over at all for the night.

Well, I'm not going to beat myself up. One drink and I'm still here, through the rough part of the night. Next time I will listen to MY voice even more, and not "the beast." I like that thought. I keep telling myself, "I'm not a drinker." The more I say it, hte more I believe it. I know I'm going to do this, and it will be so very much due to the encouragement and success stories from all of you!!

Moki

Comment

Need some reinforcement!

Moki, A very important turning point..being able to recognize the two voices in your head. You are on your way to beating it. Be ready for The Beast tomorrow, anticipate it, talk back to it, visualize the ugly bastard.
                    It would really help if you had no booze in the house and no reason to go to the store.

You can do this..

Don

Comment

Need some reinforcement!

Chief,

I know, without at doubt, that I CAN. Now it is just a matter of "I will."

Thanks again.

Moki

Comment

Need some reinforcement!

I am on day 5 and am so irritable, but determined to get through this evening AF. Thank goodness my poor hubby is out with friends and I'll probably be asleep by the time he gets home. Chief you are pretty right on, with the 2 voices. I'm battling demons and they know just what to say. Hope you're doing alright Moki. Lately I've just steered clear of my mother altogether, not ready to take that on the buttonpushers in my life yet.

Comment

Need some reinforcement!

Yes, I guess part of this process (or maybe most of the process) is learning our triggers. I just read a post that said "watch out for boredom." I agree! Of course, that's why weekends are always hard for us all. And evenings -- relieve stress AND boredom -- are the worst.

Steering clear of my mom isn't possible. I just need to learn some coping mechanisms.

I can't keep the house totally booze free. My husband really likes a glass of red wine after work (he's a cop) and a beer now and then. I have to believe in myself as a strong person, independant from other people's actions. Starlight said in one of her posts to take responsibility for your decisions, and that is very true. My fully functioning, sober mind was the one who said, "Yes, drink the one beer! You'll feel better!" Maybe it was the "beast" part of my mind, but it was me, nonetheless, and I have to change my mindset.

Luckily it is cold out lately, and I do really love hot tea (not cold tea in summers -- yech). I also don't like red wine (much) and really don't like beer. I think those things will help.

Hammer -- good for you with your 5 days AF. I still haven't done that, and I admire you! Keep it up! You must be doing something right.

:h

Comment

Need some reinforcement!

Thanks Moki, I can't keep a booze free house either. My husband likes to drink after work also. He's entitled, he works really hard and doesn't have a problem. I've resolved to not drink at home under any circumstances for that would put me in a tailspin for sure. I've been avoiding the usual haunts, and partners in crime and only meet up with friends who are non drinkers (all 2 of them). They have no idea why I suddenly want to spend so much time with them, lol. Last night I had to go out to a restaurant (which was difficult) and ordered my first ever "mocktail", it was pretty funny, never ever did THAT before. Anyway I wish you a lot of support, you sound very grounded. I know you'll pull through!

Comment

Working...
                            X