Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I give up.

hello everyone,
    i've been lurking around this website for a very long time. I've bought the supplements,cds and topomax online BUT, I have yet to make any progress. I stopped taking the topomax because i didn't like the side effects and kind of freaked out about receiving it from overseas.
    Anyway my story is like many of yours, I have 2 small children a great husband, great life, low self esteem etc... So here I sit with a hangover AGAIN. I don't know when it became so easy for me to polish off a bottle of wine. I can look at a bottle of wine and litrally think that it's not that much. I go through the days normally and then the thought of a glass of wine pops into my head and I go from there, even if I have no physical craving. I think it is really more of a mental reflex that i can't seem to get passed or that I don't want to get passed?
    I must go get my kids ready for school. Thanks for reading. I can't believe i finally posted instead of just lurking.

I give up.

keep on trying!

Don't give up on the program, I have been working at this (sometimes successfully, sometimes not), but the support you will receive is beyond words!! YOU ARE CARED FOR AND LOVED by all of us here, we care!!!

MA
    :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

I give up.

Ishi

It's a lot to do with habit. It really is. Sure there is a physical link and there are pills that do help with that. But the habitual part WE have to make a conscious effort to change. Instead of reaching for wine, reach for water or pop, instead of thinking about coming home and relaxing w/wine, think about taking a relaxing bath or walking thru the neighborhood. Does your husband drink too? Because if he doesn't, is there a real need to have wine around?

I don't want to be a hypocrit I am not trying hard myself to abstain, but I have successfully in the past-33 days. So I know I can, and I know you can too. What are your reasons for wanting to?

Comment

I give up.

It is a great start for you to post Ishybit. We have been in your shoes or are in your shoes and know this can be done. Please don't give up.

A habit takes some time to over come. I would suggest posting often and reading as much as you can. Take it one day at a time. Try to get through one night without drinking, and then try again the next. If you can do this without putting too much thought into the future you may feel a lot less stressed about drinking.

Baby steps...... and welcome!!

Comment

I give up.

Hey Ishbit, take it slow and just avoid drinking for an hour at a time to start. Try to drink lots of water and some protein ... take a nap if you can. I'm rooting for you! j
          Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

I give up.

Ishy, maybe posting will be the extra nudge you need. We all share the same bad habit...I had my first AF night in weeks last night and only because I planned it and planned lots to do out of the house. By the time I was ready to sit down and watch tv the urge had weakened -- not passed -- and I was able to abstain. Don't quit, just keep posting.

Comment

I give up.

Ishy...everyone here knows how you're feeling...that sort of mad 'switch on' in the head that happens. Mine goes on about 5-5.30 pm. I can have had no thoughts of alcohol at all until that time, then.... Bingo! I've slipped up this last week, but I did 40 days AF before that and I (along with many others here) can promise you that the first days/week you really have to fight it and have strategies for getting through that most dangerous time (whenever it is for you)......but as the days go on that 'reflex' gets easier to deal with. Sometimes it even just switches off.

After many years of drinking and many attempts at stopping or moderating, the only thing that has worked for me is this place. Wonderful MWO:h Come here often, read, post, come into the chat room.......everyone will support you and help you along.

Good luck

Suze XX
              Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

I give up.

thanks for all your replys. it does feel good to actually put it out there. i have to be away from the computer for a while so i will check in later. lots of stuff going thru my head that I'd like to post but i don't have time right now.

Comment

I give up.

Welcome

Welcome Ishybit,
                  I too lurked for a long time - just joined this week and feel realy positive about the support from everybody. You're right it feels good to "put it out there"/ I think we have been carrying this for so long and the burden of trying to hide it is shameful. So again welcome and I'm so glad I found this site and I'm so glad your here too.:heart:
                  hugs

Comment

I give up.

it took me almost six months to control the beast. I am moderating now. it's not easy.
                    good luck don't give up
                    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I give up.

Hi ishybit and welcome.
                      You`ve made a start just by sending your first post.
                      As we`ve all found, trying to quit drinking is very much a case of trial and error........so, O.K., you`ve tried the topa and you find you can`t tolerate it.......so, try another drug.......many people on meds here aren`t taking topa. I don`t have personal experience of the meds, so can`t really comment on that, other than to tell you that like with meds for any ailment, what works for one may not work for another. You really must find what works for YOU.

I also think that you`re a little unnerved by having bought the meds online, so maybe you`re not comfortable taking meds unless they`re actually prescribed by a doc.
                      Whatever you do.........do not lose heart........try all and any of the recommendations in RJ`s book until you find what works for you personally........it`s so worth persevering to obtain your freedom from alcohol.

I think many people drink as a form of escapism or to "chill out"........my routine was very similar to your own, in that I was a wine drinker and would go all day long without having a drink, but once it hit 8pm, I was itching to pop a bottle every single night.......would easily exceed a btl. when in devil-may-care mode. The booze had taken firm hold of me........had become my nightly ritual........my habit. But, habits can be broken........even this one.

Wishing you love and strength for your journey,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

I give up.

Hello ishybit and all, Dito, pretty much the same story as all of you. I joined back in Jun and have not posted till recently. I did purchase the books, CDs, and supplements. I have also looked for and researched anything else that might help. My therapist works with me on my triggers for drinking and gave me the advice of a walk, warm shower etc to break my habit. However I do now believe there is also something mental here as well for me. I'm sure I have become allitle physically addicted to alcohol and I know it had become an evening ritual that I felt I deserved. Did'nt we all ? I had made several attemps at moderation and quiting and failed. A Pshychiatrist put me on Campral which I thought worked for awhile. I since read that it is more for restoring the brain chemistry when not drinking, not to curb cravings. When I first ordered the MYO material I too ordered Topamax and Naltrexone online, yet I keep it in my drawer as I was nervous about taking it. Well, In the past few weeks my step sister who has a terrible alcohol problem and is in denial has gotten worse and my brother just got out of rehab for herion addiction, I freaked out, opened my drawer and started taking 25mg of Naltrexone. Quess what, it worked. The first night I thouhgt it was just will power but and the week went on that nagging craving was'nt there as much. The thought was so there so I poured one (which is what your suppose to do on this) and I sipped on it watching television for about an hour. Anyother night I'd have the bottle gone. I was talking with another member on the meds thread and she mentioned the Sinclair Method. Look it up, I really think this is what is going to work for me so far, only 5 days and the weekend will be the real test. I also found a great section in Vitamins for dummies for alchololism, I could'nt believe all the nutrients I had be flushing out with alcohol. Best to you and I'll let ya all know how the weekend goes

Comment

I give up.

Welcome here Ishybit. As you can see, there is a lot of help and advice to be had from the people here who all share the same problem. I personally have tried many things but I find the supplements are the most helpful together with the support I get here. Supplements help you physically/chemically and the non-judgemental, ever-open people here help you with the other needs. And, as the others say, different things work for different people. I hope you can find what you need.
                          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
                          X