I can drink.. how do I not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my first day typing on the site. I have been "testing the water" but still seem to be standing ashore. I am the type of person who has the good husband, two young kids. My husbands works out of town 4-5 nights a week. I find myself drinking beer every night... 6 or so when I am being "monitored" and many more when he is gone ... I am so ashamed, but still the 4 o'clock beer whistle "yells" and there I go again. Which causes conflict...
    Therefore causing me to be a really good sneaker, liar, and untrustworthy.
    I have tried quitting smoking several times and have always failed. Not even a drug (Wellbutrin also taken for depression) which is supposed to curve smoking desire did not work. Nor did the patch, lozenge, gum or hypnosis. I have always failed to quit smoking.

I know how to drink.. (I am really good at it) ... I don't know how Not to drink.

The thought of failing is......... I wonder if I have any will power at all.
    :sigh:

Hi rapala and welcome.
    Of course you have willpower, but that alone won`t go far as regards quitting drinking is concerned........you need to devise a personal strategy that`ll suit your own needs.

Download RJ`s book and consider all the options and recommendations, devise your plan and take it from there. You`ll find all the help and support you need from the M.W.O. members.

I couldn`t quit either and now I have.......almost 10 wks. ago.......you can do this.

Wishing you love and strength,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Thanks... I am not very computer savvy... how do I download the book?

Comment

Click on the Health Store at the top of the page........you`ll see all that`s available through the site to help you, including the book.

Comment

Welcome here Rapala. I am so much like you. I thankfully never started to smoke or else I would never be able to quit, I know. I am struggling with the alcohol still, but getting lots of help from here and really progressing.

This is a great place for help, support and comraderie. Please spend some time looking through the posts and reading the book. The supplements are a huge help. I have found it much easier to cut down/cut out with help of the supplements and the moral support on this site. There is hope here.
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

ok so far my will power has been nil. I started reading posts a week ago... I have cut back ( going from 10 - 12 beers a night to 5-6) but it really is not good enough. So right now I am a bit annoyed with myself. I have received the sups and the cds... how long until I feel a change by taking kudzo and the L-glut... ? Has anyone felt a huge change or what really is the feeling one is supposed to get?

Comment

Hi rapala,

I am glad that you have been able to cut back on the nightly beers. That is a great step in this whole process. I would have to say that the Supps and the CD's definately help, but there probably will not be an earth shattering change that you'll feel. You will feel the huge change once you string together several AF days. You will feel absolutely fantastic about yourself.

Along with the supps, CD's, reading, etc., also focus on your WHY (kids, health, etc) and focus on HOW great your life would be without alcohol. Shifting your thoughts is what will change you.

Please don't become discouraged. This is not an easy process. As long as you keep your eye on the goal and remember the 3 P's (patience, persistence and perserverance) you will eventually get there!

My best,
              tc

Comment

Hi rapala hang in there it took me about 3 months to fully be able to see any great difference.
                and after 6, I really noticed a great difference. now I am just keeping myself in check and making a great point of improving myself and learning to moderate. I took supplements and Kudzu plus L-glutamine. and came here often. fell down many times but I just get up and keep going it gets easier day by day

much luck
                Trix
                You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

hi rapala, i understand and sympathise with where you are coming from. It is soo hard to stop when you are a stay at home and are cuaght up in that cycle of drinks in the afternoon. i ahve been on here a week and have "fallen" already. then i get that horrible off anf on again drunk sleep so i beat myself up about it all night. but today is the day for me. last night my 8 year old ask me if i had been drinking too much because she wanted to go home but didn't want me to drive. I felt like the biggest LOSER in the world. So the decision is made now comes the hard part. trust me you don't want your kids thinking that kind of thing about you. Stick to it. You can do it!
                  :O)

Comment

thanks hmmm

I agree as a mom we would do anything for our kids.. anything!!!! but we get so wrapped up in taking care of others that we lose ourselves.... I saw my counselor this week and this is her newest suggestion... Since we as mom's always seem to do things for others, next time I go for a beer say to myself " Matthew's mommy wants a beer, Matthew does not want mommy to have a beer, does mommy want to make Matthew sad, or can Mommy go get a drink of water?"

I felt that to be pretty powerful! I have yet to NOT have a beer since I started last week but I have totally cut back and tonight have made it past 5pm.. whew .. why can't bed time come sooner..

Comment

hey rapala you are doing great. you can even go to chat you know and get some tea or something instead of the beer. happy that you are here. you can do it. sad to say it is beyond will power for me. it is more staying power. keep posting.
                      :welcome:

Comment

thanks boot camp barbie.. you seem to be all over the place.. I love reading your suggestions.... how do I get a cool picture up like you have?

Comment

Working...
                        X