NEWBIES IN NEED ODAT THURSDAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning everyone! Must admit, the mornings in the UK are so dark now and getting up is not easy!!

Hope everyone had a good day yesterday - lots of newbies on Starting Out - come and say hello on our daily thread and let us know how you are doing! This is for anyone to share their ups and downs with this horrible addiction we all have in common. Some of us are taking it one day at a time, others have made a commitment - we are all different, at different stages from different parts of the world but we are all here for each other. If you're having a bad day, someone will answer with help and encouragement. It's a great site - thank you RJ!

Day 11 for me and feel good, thoughts of drinking are few and far between even when I'm preparing tea. I am taking nothing for granted though!

Vino - well done for surving the shopping mall!! I am finding myself thinking ahead to Christmas as my husband and I always go to Bruges for our anniversary on the 17th. We usually buy loads of wine and cheap champage (and drink a lot of it in the hotel!) and stock the car up but...... its a long way off and I keep pulling myself back and thinking about just today.

Want - hope the cravings have subsided, you're right to get the L-glutamine (you can get that from Holland & Barrett).

Rustop - glad you are enjoying your walks with your dogs - this time of the year is really beautiful. We're off to Loch Lomond (Rowardennan) next week for half term - can;t wait - and hope to do lots of walking there!!!

Bluesky - hope the job is working out for you!

To everyone else - I love reading your posts. Yesterday I found myself going down memory lane and reading posts going back to end April/beg May. What a journey a lot of us have had!!

Have a good day everyone, will be back later!!

Janicexxx
    AF since 9 May 2012
    Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Spring here

Hi Janice,
    Thanks for the light and encouraging post. Here it is almost summer and getting lighter earlier.
    You are right, we are from far and all over but we all share this horrible thing. I made it to day 6 af and then last night I had 2 drinks, which is very moderate but seeing that I want to go AF I am right back to day 1.
    This site most definitely helps and it helps a lot.
    What is L-Glutamine for?
    Have a lovely day.
    Jessie
    make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

A very good morning to you Janice and Jessie and everyone else to follow, what a wonderful, inspiring and uplifting mail to start the day Janice, thank you ever so much for that; this thread rocks - doesn't it, it's just wonderful.

Jessie, L-Glutamine is one of the supplements that RJ recommends you take when you are starting your AF journey; along with other beneficial benefits it also decreases the cravings for alcohol - when you feel an urge coming on - you can also do a quick fix by opening a tablet and placing 1/2 of the powder under your tongue for instant relief. I can't tell you if it works as I have never tried it but others swear by it so it's worth a go. Good luck and don?t worry that you had 2 drinks last night at least you didn't overdo it and you can try again today for a AF day.

It's still one day at a time for me with no specific target in mind. When I joined MWO on 7 May 2007 I never thought I would get one day behind me - but thanks to all the wonderful people here I started AF on that day (ODAT) and continued to be alcohol free for 105 days - and felt absolutely on top of the world - it was an amazing feeling. I knew that I wanted to have a drink one day so waited for a special occasion but unfortunately, when I did have that first drink I did not moderate; and that is my goal at the moment - moderation - I absolutely love being AF but would love to be able to moderate also - but not sure if this will ever be possible - but I will keep working at it to see how I do; I really want to achieve MODS because as crazy as it seems I still can't seem to accept a life without having a glass of wine from time to time (which of course is fine when you stop at a couple) - You all know what I'm trying to say, I'm sure!

CAPTJ - If you want to do a cleanse there is a Lemonade Cleanse going on over at the Holistic Healing Site - so check that out. I am nearly finishing my cleanse but others are about to start so you could jump on with them, the more the merrier, good luck - it's a great cleanse - and of course you don't get to drink so that's an added bonus, yah!

Well done to all and look forward to reading your threads later on, have a great day.

BS X
      It is easier to stay out than get out.

Mark Twain

Comment

hello everyone hope everyone here and those to come are all feeling fine. i am very excited because i have been offered a new job which i have been trying to get for ages and finally have my chance to give it a go YEAH!!!!!. so i'm feeling very positive today and i have been AF for 4 days . just thought i'd pop on line and say hello. hope everyone has a good day :h x

Comment

Hi

I really related to your post Bluesky. I really want to moderate too. I just did 8 days AF though and am feeling better. I want a life that is mostly AF but with some very casual drinking. I haven't missed drinking at all in the last week and haven't had any bad effects, probably because I have had success moderating off and on for the last three months or so.

i keep thinking about what the hypnotist on the MWO CD says: Excessive drinking is a thing of the past.

nancy

ps welcome shelby and jessie

Comment

Good morning all Newbies,

The sky is grey and overcast here in Columbus, OH. I imagine it is chilly outside but I haven't been able to step out. Came down with some sort of bug that has flattened me a bit.

I'll be fine, though, I get to go home in the morning and I am just babying myself in the hotel until then. I hate being sick in hotels but it is actually better that I am alone. I am one of those "leave me alone" when I am sick kind of people.

It is great to see more people jumping on this thread. I felt a weak moment last night, probably due to mental fatigue from being sick, but did not give in. It is so much a "one day at a time" thing!!

Bluesky and Nancy - My heart and head keep telling me that someday I will be able to moderate but then the rational part of me knows (especially from recent past) that I simply cannot. Sigh. I am afraid I waited way too long in the addiction before trying to quit. I do think that my brain chemistry is changed such that moderation is simply not an option for me. Every time I have lapsed in the last few months has been big, no couple of glasses, more like a couple of bottles.

I truly hope you both can be like the other successful moderators on this site. They do seem to be doing so well!!! It is heartening, for sure!!

Everyone else, please have a happy Thursday and I hope all keep to their goals, no matter what they may be.

Love,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hi everyone

Thanks for a wonderful start Janice. Raining here at the moment so I envy you Jessie.
              Bluesky, I read somewhere on the threads that moderation is AF with the odd drink thrown in. Some people do great with it and are really disciplined. I'm afraid I'm more like Cindi, I just dont know when to stop. The lemonade cleanse sounds interesting, I am going to check it out.

Shellbee, good luck with the new job. Cindi I hope you are soon feeling better.

Rustop

Comment

Hi all, just got back!

Just flwe in from Denver , CO last night, didn't get in til 12:30PM, home at 1:30 then to bed around 2, needless to say, I am VERY sleepy (my mood ) today!!

I also DRANK WAY too much too, airports just do it to me, what a waste of :upset: $$ and so much for my AF days, looks like I start over again today, that is what I like about this ODAT!! I am not going to beat myself up too much about it, just a little, and I aim to go AF for at least 30 days starting today, no real parties planned or anything that should trigger me (I hope )

I know with all your support I can have a better chance than on my own, or even with AA, I have a son't baseball game tonight, so whatever strength I get from you all before 5:30EST today will give me the hope to make it tonight:h

LOVE YOU,

Mary Anne
                :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Hi everyone,
                  I'm afraid mods are not for me either, once I start I can't stop. Feeling so much better now. I have stopped counting, because I feel more pressurised when I do, I've been
                  fine all week. I'm going away with husband and grandchildren for the weekend, which
                  makes it easier not to drink. Hope you all achieve your goals, whether af or mods.
                  Good luck with the job Shellbee.
                  Paula.x

Comment

I posted this on another thread, but maybe this one is better? Still figuring out this board. sorry for the repeat. need help.......

Hi everyone-
                    This is my first post. So glad I found you guys. To make a long story short, I've been AF most of my life since age 21 (I'm 44), with a couple of year long or so "experiments" in the drinking world (disaster). I've got the bug BIG time, for sure. It had been about 5 years since my last drink, but I drank about 3 weeks ago and am trying really hard to get back to AF as quickly as possible before any of the really serious consequences start and I lose my grip. The only way I can have any life at all is AF, as hard as that is at times, and I REALLY want to get back to it ASAP. AND it's seriously dangerous for me to drink. Once I start, there's no telling what will happen by the end of the night, including driving drunk. My pattern this time has been to drink one or 2 or 3 nights in a row and then say I'm stopping, which lasts one day, 2 at best. I went to a doc last week and got a script for Campral. He said I needed to be AF for 3 days to start it. I was almost there, but drank last night. Can I just start it anyway? He also said it takes 5-7 days to build up in the system and be effective. I'm worried about how to stay AF in the meantime.
                    I think I'm basically in good shape - I just want to cut this 'relapse' short. Nip it in the bud. On some level I'm doubting that that's possible. Please tell me it is!
                    I have the supplements, the meds, the book and I'm waiting for the CD's. I'm scared but also hopeful.
                    How I wish I didn't have this issue. It's really been a burden my whole life. ARGH!!!!!!
                    Any help or advice is SOOOO welcome. thanks for "listening".......
                    and p.s. - what thread do you think is the "right" one for getting lots of support in the first few days of attempting AF?

Comment

Hi Everyone: Like Cindi, Paula, & Rustop, I cannot stop once I start.

Last night, the universal spirit put a lesson in my life that absolutely told me that an AF life is what I want & need. I went to the theater w/hubby & friends to see a great play. The last time we were at that same theater last Spring, my last experience there came back to me. I was drunk...I had spent the afternoon drinking & then went to the theater. I can't remember anything about the play we saw back then...not even the title. What I do remember is:
                      -fighting a headache during the play.
                      -trying to sound coherent while discussing the play during intermission.
                      -falling asleep on the way home.
                      Last night's experience was so different in contrast. We had a wonderful time & enjoyed a great play & lively discussion. I thank God for putting this deja-vu experience in my life. I couldn't feel more determined. Without MWO, none of this would be possible. Thank you, Mary
                      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                      October 3, 2012

Comment

hi everyone,

i made it to day 11 af, it really is a massive help to log on post and read when feeling tempted.

i'm going to get the l - glut at the weekend, so in the mean time i'll carry on with all my vits and kudzu.

thanks for everyones help and support yesterday. i know for sure that without it i would of cave in and drank, well gulped is more how i was feeling.

to all those who are moderating, i really hope you achieve your goal. i to am like cindi and rustop, mary and many others, i have no off switch.

i know i need to make a commitment to a completely af life, and i'm trying but that makes my cravings worse at this early stage. ODAT kinda keeps the beast awake, making me think (and i need to be completely honest) just one more time, i could get wasted one more time, because i do want to get wasted, don't ask why, i haven't got a clue, perhaps thats the chemical change in my brain, thats what my brain expects, is so used to. ODAT, well i can just start again tomorrow, its just so crazy, like ground hog day. but the more i keep on ODAT, the more af days i can get, i can only get stronger right? then i'm hoping that that commitment will come........ true, commitment and acceptance from deep inside, it has to be from deep deep inside. i feel like i'm swinging between the two, complete commitment/ODAT, all i can do is keep going and hopefully get the balance right in the end.

wish i could explain myself better.

hope everyone has a lovely day, whatever you do.
                        thanks again for the help yesterday :thanks:

love want
                        xxxxx
                        AF since April 8th 2008 :kudos::rays:

Snake....... come crawling,
                        There's fire in your eyes,
                        Bite me, excite me,
                        I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
                        Brings eternal flame.
                        Open me to heaven,
                        To heal me again.

Comment

Another "no off switch" person here. Ret, your story about a great play reminded of going to see Cirque de Soliel last year - drunk. I barely remember any of it. I had wanted to see one of their productions for 10 years!!! I kept nodding off and snoring, which pissed my wife off, to say the least. There is no moderation for me. Besides which, I've consumed enough alcohol for at least 10 lifetimes already.
                          I'm up to 150 mg of Topamax as of today, I think it's making a difference beyond making me slightly dense(er).
                          Take care everyone
                          morgan
                          "uch: When you kick youreslf in the butt, all you get is a sore butt and a tired foot"

Comment

Morgan,

Did you see the post today about another Lancet study on topa?

You might want to read it.

Best of luck with the topa. I know from the HBO series, several alcoholics have managed to stay sober because of it.

Glad you are back online!!

Cindi
                            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

For Wonder World

Hi Wonder World

What is the best thread for you to post on?

Well, you could post on Tell us your story or Just starting out, post your own thread introducing yourself.

Try to include a some description about yourself, in the title of your thread.

example:
                              Mother of two, seeks AF help
                              Cowboy relapsed after 40 years

That might draw the right people to your thread.

Or, you could go to monthly abstinence threads and join the monthly booze busters if they are still going.

OR start responding to other people's threads. And you are welcome on this one too.

Comment

Working...
                              X