Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies in Need ODAT - Friday

Hi Everyone:

I'm writing this at almost 1AM on Friday. I can't sleep, but I'm not stressing about it. One of the reasons I started drinking was to fall asleep. I'd take small glasses of whatever alcohol was available, & that would do the trick. However, because my drinking was progressive, I had to drink more & more to fall asleep. Then I started drinking alone & in private...& the rest is history. By the time I came here to MWO in April, I wasn't really sleeping. I was passing out...only to wake up at some unGodly early morning hour sweaty & w/a pounding heart. Tomorrow I might be a little tired, but I won't be hungover & ill.

I'm finding myself more & more determined to stay sober. The rewards are huge. I have been more irritable than I was when I was drinking. I couldn't feel irritable or any other emotion, because I was so numbed out all the time. Now if I get snappish, I can say "I'm sorry" & we can go on w/our lives.

I'm just beginning day 7 of my AF program. I'm working on a 30 day stretch, but I actually know in my heart that my whole lifetime should be AF. My so-called social drinking days are over.

Cindi: Keep on keeping on! I'm right behind you. Love, Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

All I can sayis: Mary you are AMAZING

Comment

Good morning Mary, Nancy and all to come.

I second Nancy, you truly are amazing Mary. You have inspired me so much and thanks to you I am still at MWO. Last year when I slipped I just stayed away. This time reading about your good times and bad made me feel I too could do it so a big thank you.

I was at a concert last night with a friend of mine and really enjoyed it. It's great being able to remember everything and I even enjoyed my glass of sparking water during the intraval. It was really hot and water was all I wanted.

I am still on my cleaning, cleaning spree, three rooms blitzed this week, if I stay AF till the end of the month the house should be sparking. Although with two dogs, a cat and the kids it will probably be time to start all over again!!!

Have a great week-end everyone.

Rustop

Comment

Good morning Mary & Nancy and all to follow!! I think we should declare Mary our MWO "mummy" - she is such an inspiration to us all!!

I'm doing good, feel positive for the weekend - I've been a bit naughty though, been a bit lazy with my vitamins this week so need to get back on them for that extra support.

My daughter and son are home for the weekend (with their washing!) so planning a big roast for this evening with all the trimmings. I have taken on a new addiction though - chocolate!! I never touched the stuff but this week I've been at it like there's no tomorrow. I think thats probably why I haven't got any cravings for the alcohol - I'm replacing the sugar! I'll worry about that another time though - at the moment I'm spoiling myself thinking "I deserve it, I'm not drinking!" whether its choccy, cakes, biscuits, new clothes, etc etc!! Oh well, a girl's gotta get through this the best way she can............!

I'll be back on later to catch up on reading yesterday's posts but have a good Friday everyone! Love you all!!!!!!!!!

Janicexxx
        AF since 9 May 2012
        Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Morning Rustop - must have just missed you!!!
          AF since 9 May 2012

Comment

good morning all, I have been going through the most miserable time in my life this past week. I have lost my fiance and this time I have run out of chances. I'm on day two AF and just been trying to cope with the symptoms of withdrawal and heart ache. You have all made it a little easier. Thankyou. When I get the urge to drink, I just remind myself that alcolhol is the reason I lost my love

Comment

John, I am so sorry about your fiance. Try to be strong and see this time as a time to make some important and necessary changes in your life re your drinking. Day 2 AF and you've made a great start! Stay with us John and you'll get all the support you need.
              love Janicexxx
              AF since 9 May 2012

Comment

Hi all -

It's so good to see you here again. Thank you for being here, reading your inspiring words helped give me the encouragement to dust myself off and start again.

I'd been doing so well for a while there, all of July and most of August AF for quite a while, then pretty successful at mods...for a time. I've realized that mods is not going to work for me, though. All too soon, I was back to my old habits, and worse than before. I really scared myself.

So now, if it's okay with all of you, I'd like to rejoin the newbie thread. On glorious day 4! Wheee!

Comment

Lunapro - it does not matter how many times you start over again. people on this site always welcome you back.
                  retteacher, i agree with nancy you are amazing. i hope ican be like you.( keep on coming back) Love to be around when you do your 30days. John35 welcome aboard. you will get lots of help from lots of good people here. 4days AF for me.

Take care! everyone.
                  love Teardrop.x
                  family is everything to me

Comment

hi everyone,

mary, 1 of the reasons i started drinking is that i've always been an insomniac...........when i was a lot younger and discovered cannabis i used to switch from 1 to the other to help me sleep until eventually i couldn't do with out either of them and was using both very heavily. i've been having a lot of trouble sleeping recently but managed to stay off the both.
                    i need to keep reminding myself that after 25yrs of using, i'm gonna have to be extremely patient with myself and the healing process. unfortuneatly 25yrs of quick fixes hasn't helped me develop much patience...........i really want a sober life too mary, i've got so much to learn.....like you say it's much better to just be tired rather than hungover and tired.

rustop, i've managed to totally gut and clean 2 rooms this week, not much, but a hell of a lot more productive than i have been, and it feel good. i've been finding it difficult to drag myself away from the pc. i'm hoping to be more diciplined and productive next week.

janice, i'm eating loads, not chocolate, just food in general and i'm putting on weight, i haven't got an exercise plan in place yet, i'll get there eventually though. i'm not going to worry too much about the weight, i'm hoping in time things will balance out.
                    have a great weekend with your husband and children, it's inspiring and lovely to hear you sounding so positive.

hi Nancy, i hope your well and have a good weekend with mods.

john, i'm also sorry to hear about your finance. like janice said please try your very best to be strong. heartache and withdrawal......both very painful....your doing really well at day 2 af.......please keep going on to day 3,4,5...........af, it may not feel like it but you'll be able to cope with the heartache that little bit better.

lunapro, hi, your sounding very positive on day 4, good for you. july and august af is brilliant. i'm on day 11, longest for me in 6yrs, i definately can't moderate.

hi teardrop, well done on day 4, keep going.

hope everyone here and all to come have a lovely weekend and meet all their goals.
                    i'm going out tonight to my 1 of my best friends' house. i'm a bit nervous we're drinking buds, she has a problem too but has promised not to drink tonight, she knows its early days for me and how much i want to be sober....wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!

take care everyone
                    want
                    :h
                    xxxx
                    AF since April 8th 2008 :kudos::rays:

Snake....... come crawling,
                    There's fire in your eyes,
                    Bite me, excite me,
                    I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
                    Brings eternal flame.
                    Open me to heaven,
                    To heal me again.

Comment

Happy Friday to everyone!

Mary, I am sorry you are having trouble sleeping. I go through that myself. Do you use any supplements? I have so found that the L-Tryptophan and Melatonin work really well. I sleep and wake up not feeling drugged unlike when I use a Benadryl, ick. The L-Tryptophan is fairly expensive, Melatonin is very cheap. I found the L-Tryptophan at GNC, you can get the Melatonin almost anywhere. I take them about 30 minutes before going to bed. I am thrilled for how well you are feeling, in general, though and it does my heart good to know you have passed through to a better phase of recovery. I hope I can get to that place soon. There are some days I really have to white knuckle through the cravings. However, in some ways it is good because it shows me that I can do it, even though it is difficult.

Janice, I hope you have a nice weekend with family. You, too, have been doing brilliantly. All of us are marching along together and feeling better every day.

Want, RU, John and everyone else, please have a wonderful Friday. One day at a time seems to help me a lot. I am so grateful to have all of you here. My life is being transformed because of everyone here.

Love,
                      Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

good morning

ME too on the sleep thing, and like you, teacher, I wouldn't sleep toward the end, just pass out, come to and drink more, started to get reeaallly bad, so bad, and that is why I am here, not so bad anymore, but I cannot stop yet, I had 3 days last week, but can't get past that "witching hour" when I start w/ one beer, then later have another, pretty soon I am off and running:upset:

Sorry to hear about your fiance Johnuch: , hopefully sobriety will move you in the right direction and you will find the right one (??)

Everyone else, don't get names too well, wish I could get some AF days under my belt, then maybe my house would get cleaned, just w/ 2 kids, a husband who doesn't help AT ALL, and a dog who comes in covered w/ sand constantly, just the thought of it is OVERWHELMING, and I cannot even get motivated to start:sigh:

I love checking in and hearing how well you all are doing, motivating to me even though I can't seem to get any AF days started, kinda wish I would catch a cold or something to get me jump started I usually don't drink when I am sick
                        ANYWAY,
                        enough for now, lots of love and good wishes to everyone today:h
                        MA
                        :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Hey Cowgirl, you will get there. I spent nearly a year just reading the boards before I was ready to embrace the programme again. Some days I moderated ok, others a disaster. So keep reading and joining in.

Good luck tonight Want you will be o.k. Welcome back Lunapro. John keep strong, its not easy I know. Well done teardrop. Hi to Cindi, Nancy and Mary.

For those of you having trouble sleeping, has anyone tried the Calme Forte which comes with the MWO starter pack? I never have any trouble in this area with or without alcohol so I have not used them but I think they are to help you sleep.

Rustop

Comment

Hi Everyone: I'm up & feeling fine having gotten some quality sleep. I have used melatonin w/some success. I haven't been a great sleeper in a long time (since I had children 35 - 40 years ago), but waking up tired is so much better than waking up wrecked. Thank God, now that I'm retired my sleep requirement isn't as urgent.

Nancy & Janice: I'm so glad that you have felt I've helped in some way. I would be happy to be the unofficial "mummy." I need you & everyone else here at MWO just as much as you need me. Keep on coming. I love you, Mary
                            Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                            October 3, 2012

Comment

John35;207879 wrote: good morning all, I have been going through the most miserable time in my life this past week. I have lost my fiance and this time I have run out of chances. I'm on day two AF and just been trying to cope with the symptoms of withdrawal and heart ache. You have all made it a little easier. Thankyou. When I get the urge to drink, I just remind myself that alcolhol is the reason I lost my love
                              John,

So sorry to hear about your fiancee. If you check around the board you will see that I have also lost someone near and dear, although I do think I can patch things up...eventually. Heartache at any time is hard, heart ache while maintaining sobriety is REALLY hard. Alcohol got me into my mess but it won't get me out so I can't touch it. I had just bought a bottle of wine that I am going to dump as soon as I get home. Have you thought of counselling, sometimes it helps to unload onto someone who can't throw the stuff back on you.

-lorelei
                              Suddenly I see
                              This is what I want to be
                              suddenly I see
                              Why the hell it means so much to me.

-KT Tunstall

Comment

Working...
                              X