need help with friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help with friend

i have a friend who has asked me for help in stop drinking. besides giving him places AA meets, what other support may i give him to help in this situation?

need help with friend

Buy the book for him, introduce him to this site, go to the meetings with him?

Comment

need help with friend

Most certainly give him the link to this site. Ask him to call you when he feels like drinking so you can suggest something that doesn't involve alcohol. Or better yet ask him to meet you somewhere for coffee or tea to talk it out.

Thats all the ideas I have atm, but I'm still waking up so I might have some more later.

-lorelei
      Suddenly I see
      This is what I want to be
      suddenly I see
      Why the hell it means so much to me.

-KT Tunstall

Comment

need help with friend

msbehavin1971,

First off, how much does your friend drink? The very first step is to determine if your friend is in danger from alcohol withdrawal. It is always a possibility if he drinks a lot.

If that is the case, a doctor is step one. No ifs ands or buts. Medicine can be prescribed to ease withdrawal symptoms and make withdrawal safer.

Second, get the MWO book for him. It is a very good read and recommends supplements, etc. Hopefully, after reading the book he will check into logging on here and discussing his problem with those of us who have the exact same problem.

I am impressed that as a friend you are doing this research for your friend. Remember, though, that quitting drinking is not easy and your friend has to really want it to succeed.

Best of luck and we are all hoping he takes the first steps.

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

need help with friend

As a friend to/spouse of one of the Members here, I would recommend this site. There is a lot here to learn from and begin with completely free (Bless RJ's heart).

I agree with the others that he should read the book, but I am not sure about your buying it for him. Get him started on this site, and if he is ready, he will buy himself the bookand meds. It is a ceremonial step in accepting the issue and in making a choice to want differently. I find that when loved ones get involved they tend to want to see changes quicker than the overdrinker can sometimes realistically accomplish. Guide him. He will have to take his steps at his own pace.

Just my opinion. I'm sure you will be a great support to your friend, no matter.

Dx
          * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

need help with friend

Definitely give him the options as others have suggested above. Lots of good advice.

However, please be cautious about throwing yourself out there to be a designated source of contact for your friend. (depending on how far he is into this disease) It is a HUGE undertaking and he will need to utilize many methods/sponsor/counseling/family etc... in order to really overcome this.

Having said that, I really believe he has a great friend in you. There are a lot of options out there. My first suggestion would be to ask him to see his doctor. If anything for a physical, and if he wants to, to ask about a plan to quit drinking.

Then bring up AA, MWO, etc...

All the best.

Comment

need help with friend

tell him to look at the site and read the posts. then he can take it from there, I wouldn't buy him the book. Just let him know that you are there for him. If he wants change he will change.

trix
              You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Working...
              X