Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topamax side effects..

Hi you all.
    Can anyone tell me how long the possible side affects might last? I was reading part of the book last night and got a bit scared by the thought of being a bit "forgetful" at times. I do need to concentrate at work and also have a half an hour drive to work and back at night time.. Would that be a problem?
    Still looking forward to getting all stuff together and taking the plunge on healthier life.
    xx:flower:

Topamax side effects..

hi finski the side effects of topamax scared me a bit too. I noticed on this site that some people have minimal problems concentrating and getting words out of their mouth, some people experience eye problems and others seem to say that it goes away.
    I have decided to do the program without Topamax. it would be up to you to find out if it's for you. go to the topamax forum and read the many posts there, it's amazing how much information from individuals has been posted there.
    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Topamax side effects..

Hi Finski, I haven't really noticed being forgetful when taking topamax. I am so used to being forgetful through hangover/blackout etc that being sober and taking topa is a lot better than drinking and forgetting (if you know what I mean).
      Taking topamax (and not drinking) meant I never went to bed and forgot the hours just beforehand. I may have had the 'what have I walked into this room for?' feeling, but that was as bad as it got.
      Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Topamax side effects..

Hi Finsi.. I took 25mg at night then dosed up to 50mg, taking all in the evening. I take it about 4pm, an hour before my "bewitching" hour. I have But, the evening dose makes me a bit tired, which I actually like..

Hope that helps..

MM
        Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Topamax side effects..

:welcome: Hi,
          like you I have to drive to work and concentrate hard when there, so I shared your worries. I told work colleagues that I had started on new medication that might affect my performance and please watch me carefully and that I would come off the medication if it affected my work, well I have had no complaints so far after three weeks and I work at a lot of different sites and I warned all of them! .As to driving, I am not aware of any drop in performance except that I have stalled the car on a few occasions while parking it and that is something I never normally do. Perhaps I am relaxing too much at the end of the journey having been extra alert whilst on it. The only other bad feeling I have, and I can not really be sure its down to the topamax, is a muzzy feel in my head and a low grade headache most of the day. I think this may just be alcohol withdrawal as I felt very similar once before when I stopped drinking some years ago. The difference is that then I stopped completely and this time I have gone for moderation!
          Good luck whatever you decide to do
          :new:
          all the best,
          Donachu

Comment

Topamax side effects..

Hi finski
            I'm on week 3+ of Topa, up to 150 mg. I was hoping to experience that "on switch" I've read about (desire to drink alcohol completely stops) but that has not happened for me. I recommend reading the entire MWO thread on the topic (long but v. informative); it appears that side effects -- and individual tolerances for them --range considerably. Some folks can barely stand the medication and others seem to have no side effects at all.

I had a "buzzy" head for a few days early on, and last night a tingly sensation in my face that went away after about 15 minutes, but that's about it. Mainly I fear the hair loss I've read about (ugh, vanity!), but I take the recommended supplements to counterbalance that.

Good luck with your decision. I do not plan to be on Topa for too long -- only hope to use it to kick start an AF span and see if I can moderate from there (oh, here's hoping)...there is no such thing as a benign medication/drug so I think it pays to consider it carefully. That said, it does seem to be a "lifesaver" for some. Best to you.

Comment

Topamax side effects..

Maybe Naltrexone instead?

I did a lot of reading about different anti-craving drugs and their side effects and it seems like naltrexone has the fewest incidences of side effects that I would consider "serious" - i.e. major quality of life affecting. Of course, people judge the pros and cons of taking the drugs differently, that was just my take on the two options.

Having said that, I ended up taking topamax because that's what my psychiatrist prescribed (although I'm still waiting on naltrexone to come in the mail). I'm worried about side effects but I'm also incredibly hopeful when I read about the type of effect (both clinically and anecdotally) people have had with topamax. Like my alcohol problem in general, I plan to try whatever I can for as long as it works for me.

Most side effects tend to go away within a few weeks/months and those that stay are generally tolerable - otherwise people wouldn't stay on the drug. It is up to you (and your doc) to decide whether it is worth it.
              I spend all my time treading water, just barely keeping my head above the waves... my past weighs me down & my fear of the future is drowning me.....
              :new:

Comment

Topamax side effects..

topamax side effects ....

Ive been taking Topamax for just under 9 years now to keep a neurological condition in check (epilepsy). I have also been drinking way longer than that ... seriously in the last couple of years.
                What everyone saying is true concerning this drug .. people have different tolerances to certain drugs, and if you can't tolerate it, its not for you.
                I had to tolerate it, because it was my last line of defence before brain surgury. I found the drug alot "cleaner" than all the previous drugs I used to control my epilepsy, but noticed a few things:
                My hands and feet sometimes "tingled" for no reason at all. (not serious)
                Even tho I was supposed to loose wieght on this drug, I didnt (because I drank)
                I searched for words. (hey .. i think its the epilepsy...lol)
                None of my hair fell out, infact, I think this drug promotes both the retention of hair and hair colour.
                Some of the things that you should know about the drug is that you should be drinking lots of water while taking it. This drug is processed through your kidneys, and you dont want to screw those up. It is suggested to drink 8-10 full glasses of water a day when taking this drug.
                Another item is eye pain and eyesight. If you ever experience lagging sight or eye pain see your doctor immediately, as it is a warning sign something maybe wrong, Topamax has been linked to glaucoma and myopia.
                Im not trying to scare, I'm trying to share. This most likely will not happen to you, but you should be informed of the risks before you consume any type of drug.

d-mo

Comment

Topamax side effects..

Thanks so much d-mo. I am curious as to what dosage you have been on? i.e. what is the "normal" dosage for epilepsy? I am so glad it has helped you with your epilepsy.

I have been taking topa for about almost 3 months for alcohol addiction on my own, not under a doctor's care. I am currently on 100 mg but am dosing up to 150 this weekend. I had some mild side effects as I dosed up slowly from 25 mg, but nothing major. At 100 mg I find the only side effects I feel are some minor headaches (not bad at all) and sleepiness. The sleepiness does not affect me at all during the day and I am extremely busy at work and often work until pretty late at night and then drive home. It only hits me around 10 or 11 PM when I am at my computer doing MWO or working. It doesn't knock me out. Actually, it is very good for me since it helps me stop working (I'm a workaholic - a big problem) and go to bed. I think it also helps me sleep. If you read all over the boards here, you will find that insomnia is one the most common complaints of alcoholics - especially recovering ones. I had that problem for a long time. With topa, I sleep very well, but with no side effects of taking a sleep aid.

I swear by my topa. It really reduces cravings and makes my life better. But some people have adverse reactions and can't take it at all. The only way to know is to try it and see what happens.
                  Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Topamax side effects..

Thank you all for your comments. I will try to read all possible threads and learn from them too as suggested, but it's all very time consuming..
                    I somehow think i might try to get by without any medication but with the help of them hypnosis cd's and supplements. I'm a great believer of hypnotherapy anyway and i'm sure it'll be a great help on it's own.
                    And knowing that there's so many helpful people around here that'll give me support, i'm preparing to quit within the next couple of weeks as soon as i have the cd's and supplements together.
                    Once again, thank you all and looking forward to talking to you again.
                    xx

Comment

Topamax side effects..

Topmax

Mags:
                      Ive been on the highest dosage allowed for epilepsy, which is 400mg per day. Basically they would do blood tests each time i would go to see my neurologist to ensure that I wasnt "high" on the drug.
                      Since my condition has been controlled for over 12 yrs, I started reducing all my AEDs (Anti-Epiliptic Drugs). I still remember to this day, my neuro stating that he wanted me off of as much Topamax as I could stand, as Topamax is "an extremely toxic drug" (his own words). I presently take 50mg per day, along with 2 other AEDs.
                      I have never had a headache while on Topamax. I do believe tho, that it is perhaps you just "ramping up" on the drug that may be causing this short term conditon.
                      Sleep? ... yep .. I sleep like a baby. I didnt even know that people with an alcohol dependancy had problems sleeping, because I always slept very well and still do.

d-mo

Comment

Working...
                      X