Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MWO

Hello everyone,
    Thank you all for creating this space and for your encouragement. I have been lurking for a week and after sending my brother off to his second rehab this year I am finally making a concerted effort to stop my own binge drinking.

I am 40, and married, no kids. My husband of 16 years is one of those wonderful people who can drink a beer, or a glass of water, or drink two beers, or one cocktail, or one glass of wine and put it down and forget about it while I gaze longly at it from over my empty glass. I can easily go one, two or three days AF, and maybe then I can have one or two drinks and make tea to distract myself, but every five or six days BAM I'll drink nearly two bottles of wine and hide the empty so he doesn't see it in the morning. Yuck. And this has been going on for at least ten years. I am very tired of calling him or a friend for a ride home from a restaurant's bar and then having to figure out how to get my car in the morning. And trying to remember how I got those bruises on my legs and where the heck my cute new jacket is.

A few years ago I had elevated liver functions and talked to my doctor about the 20 drinks per week I was putting away. She looked appalled, told me the only solution was AA and that there wasn't anything else that worked. I didn't believe her then, and felt short-changed. I have since changed doctors. Went on milk thistle on the advice of a friend with HepC and my liver functions are now just fine even though the alcohol consumption has not changed... so I know supplements DO work. And I know there is "something else," or else all the people I know who have quit drinking without religious 12-step programs were just "playing" at being alcohol abusers??? So here I am.

I just received the CDs (listened to the first one before bed but didn't remember to stop it before he counts you up out of it.. was WIDE awake all night, ouch), the book and the L-Glutamane and Kudzu, which I am on my 2nd day taking. AF yesterday but it was a mental battle. Two drinks the night before, and only one the night before that, so I am generally gearing up for a bender about now. I have an appointment with my general practitioner Nov. 4 and intend to request Topa. But I am very very nervous about taking it. I try to steer clear of meds in general and the side effects, especially the fuzzy head, make me nervous. (I know, I have a fuzzy head a couple times a week already.) I am also afraid she won't give it to me. I am also afraid that I won't ever have my friend Vodka to hang out with again. Any words of encouragement anyone can give me would be grealty appreciated. Have a wonderful day and I am sorry this is so long.
    And you may ask yourself, "What is that beautiful house?" And you may ask yourself, "Where does that highway go?" And you may ask yourself,"Am I right?...Am I wrong?" And you may tell yourself..."MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

New to MWO

Hi Ratana and Welcome!!!!

The fact that you are not generally an every day drinker is a big step in moving ahead with your wanting to stop drinking. You know you can do it because you do not drink every day. I might suggest trying the program for a while without the prescription medications and see what you think. You might find you do not need the topamax. Best of luck to you and look forward to hearing more about your successes.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

New to MWO

Hi ratana

Just off to bed here now but I wanted to say :welcome: :welcome:

:new: too

Looking fwd to chatting with you again

B

Comment

New to MWO

Welcome Ratana, this forum is a great help, we are all at different points in the battle with the bottle, I have been here since May and have found it a great help. There is a thread started everyday by one of us called Newbies in Need Odat- one day at a time, you may like to post on there as well. Good luck

GGxx

Comment

New to MWO

Hi ratana! :welcome:

I am glad you found us. MWO has a great program and sorry your doctor isn't educated in treating alcoholism. Many aren't, and suggest AA as the only alternative. My old doctor was one of those who basically said stop, go to AA or die. It didn't exactly leave a great taste in my mouth nor made me feel like a human being deserving to live.

There are tons of options. You will find browsing through the threads there is a wealth of information to help you along and many other suggested treatments as well. (medicines, supplements, etc.)

Keep reading and posting.

Comment

New to MWO

:welcome: stick around and share your experience. everyone here is so positive.
            take care and let us know how things are going we know it's tough at times, but start off slowly and be good to yourself:h
            You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

New to MWO

Hi ratana and welcome.
              Glad you`re here........coming here will change your life as long as you are ready to make a true commitment.

Wishing you love and strength for your journey,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

New to MWO

Thanks all. Lushy, I have a couple weeks before that dr. appt. so I will do this program (hypno, supps, I already work out 3 x a week) and try to post for support, and see howit goes.
                And you may ask yourself, "What is that beautiful house?" And you may ask yourself, "Where does that highway go?" And you may ask yourself,"Am I right?...Am I wrong?" And you may tell yourself..."MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

Comment

New to MWO

Hello ratana and welcome to MWO,

First off, please try to stop looking at vodka as a friend, think of it this way, if you had a friend in your life that treated you the way vodka does, you would soon ditch them.. Alcohol will pretend to be your best buddy, always there when you THINK you need it, but, it will let you down every time.. You are doing the right thing by coming here and joining the programme.. Also you sound from your post as if you are in the right frame of mind to make this thing work.. A lot of people who read the posts on here do sometimes think that it is easy to give up drinking, that all they have to do is take the supps, read the book and listen to the cd's.. Well, without them it would be very hard indeed, but the main ingredient to ensure success is your willingness to see this through, and I get the feeling that you have that willingness..

I wish you luck,
                  Love, Louise x
                  A F F L..
                  Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

New to MWO

Ratana, not to be dismissive, actually the opposite, but your story is familiar. Great on you for coming here, and recognising where you are. You have already got the best advice from the best advisors here, so I will not add. Just to say, good luck and we are all here for each other.
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

New to MWO

Hi Ratana!
                      I want to add my welcome to the others. I have now been AF for 17 days!!. I haven't taken the topa, but am taking vitamins, B50 and L-glutamine. I only bought the cd for social drinking but might try the others. Most days I feel really well but on occasion in the late afternoon, I really crave a glass of wine (which always turned into at least a bottle). So I try to drive straight home without stopping and get on this site as son as I get here. It really helps to read what others are going through. I'm like you, only wine was my friend, not vodka. I thought many times that it was my recreation every evening. Not a very positive type.
                      I wish you well in however you choose to kick this terrible habit! I look forward to hearing how you are doing!
                      Love,
                      Auntie
                      AF since Jan. 25th, 2011 :thumbs

Comment

New to MWO

Hi Ratana and :welcome:

This is a great place to be. I tried AA a few times and it just wasnt for me. Personally I think the topa is great if you want to moderate but I need to be AF, also I'm wary of taking drugs. I got the starter pack from MWO and am taking the supplements and listening to the cd's, if you are committed it does work. Good luck.

Rustop

Comment

New to MWO

Is it the kudzu making me so stoned?

Good grief, I feel like I am on valium. Which is fine for when I have to go to Costco on a Saturday, or to my in-laws, but at work it is a bit much. I have been taking it for 2 days, have not started the Calms Forte because I just got it and I really don't want to be sleepier. Honestly, I don't think I have the energy to open a bottle of wine. Maybe that's how it works...

Comment

Working...
                          X