Wow, made it through 3 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hola! I just wanted to give some of my observations to all of the other newbies who keep trying, struggling, slipping, trying again, and getting discouraged with themselves. After going through that mess for a year now, I have finally made it through 3 days totally AF. The first day seemed easy, as I just couldn't wait to get to bed at night and sleep away my hangover. The second day was like that point after you start running and at first it seems fun, the wind in your hair, but then you get tired and think it might be better to just walk. But on the second day, I kept running and knew I had to just work through it. The third day (today) was absolutely the hardest so far. I was anxious all day, in a terrible mood, preoccupied constantly with wanting a drink (which isn't typical for me - wanting a drink in the a.m.!). It was that point in running when you think, "This just isn't good for me. It's too hard, I can't breath well, it's uncomfortable and I don't like it!" I actually almost convinced myself today that it would be GOOD forme to have a glass of wine! But I kept right on jogging right through that too. And do you know what? At about 5 p.m., something clicked. I felt the anxiety just fall away. Now, I can't make any promises that I will keep up this jogging forever, but I did it today. I ran through the hard part, and tonight I was calm and didn't feel anxious. I hope anyone else out there who has made a habit of going AF one day over and over, only to slip again... just keep in mind that you will reach a turning point. Just close your eyes and keep on running. We can all do this.

:wave:
    -Moki

That?s a brilliant post! It?s a good feeling isn?t it? One of the things that I am finding helps me is as I try to continue AF is to look back on my posts and remind myself why I?m doing it and to keep an online diary. Good luck and carry on.

Comment

:goodjob: Moki.....it's a great feeling, isn't it? And it gets better the more you do it!

Keep going!

Suze x
      Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

Moki! Well done you!! Polish your halo! Day 3/4 can be awful but you did it. Now you don't have to do them again! I hope the running becomes a pleasure now with some beautiful views and energy and running pals to deal with any rocky terrain. (I like analogies too!)

Love FMF xx
        :heart: c: :heart:
        "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

well done:goodjob: i really like that comparison about the running . nice one!

Comment

Well done moki.
            And guess what?...........it gets easier from here on in.

Wishing you continued success.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Go Moki!!!!!!:goodjob:

Just woke up to start day 6 myself. I totally agree that 3 was the hardest and 4 also required alot of the positive self-talk you described so beautifully. Don't think, don't drink, and run run run !!!

xox Beth

Comment

Keep up the great work Moki!

:goodjob:
                Marcie

Comment

Well done :goodjob:

Rustop

Comment

Hello Moki and congrats. Starting Day 2 and will keep your running metaphor in mind. Damn it felt good to get up without a hangover!

Hang in there!

G

Comment

Moki: It gets easier & easier. You're going through the hardest now. Keep on going! Mary
                      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                      October 3, 2012

Comment

Thanks Moki -- That's exactly the encouragement I needed to hear. I am going to try one wee little AF night tonight. Just one, and see how it goes. Wish I were ready for three in a row...but hopefully I will get there. Congrats to you and all others who have done 3 and more!

Comment

Thanks you for sharing your great metaphor Moki. I've been struggling but your experience gives me hope and new thoughts to use when it gets rough.
                          :huggy
                          "Love is large, love defies limits. People talk about the sanctity of love...love is by definition sacred. Not some love between some people but all love between all people" ~ Jennifer Beals

Comment

I hope I'm not going overboard on the analogy, but I had another thought about it today as I was driving home. I think back about this last year, how I've tried so hard and failed so consistently, but the trying was still important. It was still part of the recovery. Just like in running (or any exercize), no one can just go out and run 5 miles without practicing. Maybe the first time you practice you run a half a lap, and then find it wasn't so hard, and then the next time you make it a full lap, and so on. That's why I'm not making any guarantees that I can keep this up forever, but just wanted to help all of you who are going through the hardest first few laps. I just wanted to tell you that the tiredness and anxiety will go away if you can just make it through those first few days... if your experience is like mine, that is. But from what the more experience people have said, it sounds like they agree. When I would try to abstain, I would just get floored by the boredom, fatigue, and irritability, and would always think, "Well, just one. That's not so bad." But it didn't help me breat the habit or to get the toxins out of my system. I wonder if the relief that I finally felt was the toxins finally getting out of my system completely. I don't have a single craving today, and am looking forward to tonight.

But for all of you who keep feeling like you are running through quicksand in your first few days, just know that you will make it through. See how you feel on the other side of it, and then you can choose which feeling you really like better -- healthy and sober or tipsy and tired.

If I could have one wish for everyone who is just starting out, it would be that you can make it through 3 or 4 days and just see how it feels to get those toxins out of your system. Good luck everyone!

Comment

mokigirl;210994 wrote: I hope anyone else out there who has made a habit of going AF one day over and over, only to slip again... just keep in mind that you will reach a turning point. Just close your eyes and keep on running.
                              -Moki

Hey!
                              That truly IS a brilliant post Mokigirl

:goodjob:

Thank u :l

B

Comment

Working...
                              X