New Member ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member ....

Hi everyone ... a newbie, to both this forum and not drinking. I quit my daily drinking habit September 11th 2007, so I have been sober for 1 month and 7 days.
    I found your site by researching some new information on a drug that I am presently on to treat my epilepsy condition - Topamax. I have used this drug since 1998. I would be more than pleased to answer any questions concerning the long-term use of this drug, if you have any concerns.

New Member ....

Yo D!
    Welcome! I am new myself, and have not managed any AF (alcohol free) days --yet! Soon, I hope. Congrats to you on your sobriety -- that's great! Thanks for offering up advice re: Topa. I started about 3+ weeks ago, up to 150 mgs now. My doc wants to get me to 200mg, not 300mg as recomended in the MWO book, b/c I am a small person (about 105 lbs). I have not yet experienced that "off switch" that other Topa users have described regarding drinking. I was hoping it would come at 150mg! Here are a few Qs: you were still drinking regularly while taking Topa? How high is your dosage? What are your side effects? Are there any impacts of long-term use? I don't plan to be on it for long...just want it to kick-start a stint of AF days for me. Thanks and best of luck to you.

Comment

New Member ....

Hey D-Mo-
      A warm welcome! I'm pretty new here too, and am finding this board SOOOOOOOooo helpful. And big congrats on your sober days. It's awesome! Looking forward to seeing more of you here-

Beth

Comment

New Member ....

Hi D-mo.........happy to have you join us.
        Long may your sobriety continue.

Love and strength to you,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

New Member ....

Hi D-Mo and :welcome:

Well done on being over a month AF. This is a great place to be, hope to see you around.

Rustop

Comment

New Member ....

thanks for the warm welcome ...

umm .. im kinda new at letting people know that i did have a problem. To tell you the honest trueth .. I dont even know if the word "did" is the right term .. but I will use that for now.
            Right now I'm taking things day by day, but the dependency is still on my mind. The big thing for me was to take that big first step and stop ...
            As for Topamax, yes, I was drinking while I was on the drug. My inital dosage was 400mg per day up until 2005, when I negotiated with my neuro to reduce my meds ... as my epilepsy has been controlled over the last 12 yrs by this drug and two others.
            I'm not sure of any "off switch" .. as I have never experienced that, but I do think that the small amount of Topamax that I am on now (50mg) is helping me. I find each week I go without a drink is easier than the last, and somedays I hardly even think about it.
            There are some side effects of this drug that should be noted here, and i would be pleased to give you a personal account.
            Long term effects? ... Well this drug has controlled my epilepsy, and helped me lead an normal life. Do I think this drug will help people remain AF? ...

I think so.

D-mo

Comment

New Member ....

Good job on the 37 days. I am glad you found us. It is easier to stay quit than it is to quit drinking. The topa is a big help with that
              God Bless
              bear
              What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
              ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

New Member ....

:welcome: D-mo!

Great start with your 37 days thus far! Looking forward to seeing you around the board!

Comment

Working...
                X