Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to start. Med/dosage range questions

Dear Dr. Garcia &/or RJ,
    (Just wote this long thing then error on save...this will be more concise.
    About to start. Questions:
    1) What is the medical reason for 25-300mg increase over 12 weeks? Do most people reach 300, level off, and then dose down? Dose down to what level? Or is goal to dose off ?
    2) If so.. How many days should you stay at one dosage before you decide it is time to increase dosage & why?
    3) Vice versa, how many days should you stay at one dosage before you decide to decrease dosage and why?
    4) What is the typical level (range) of topamax for your patients long term?
    5) What is the longest anyone has been on the program? Are there others long term? (I know the program is young)
    6)Do you expect most of your patients to be on topa for life?

Thank you SO MUCH! I know this is a lot.
    Many reagrds,

These answers are available in the book and the MWO website. See the research section which houses an enormous amount of information. If you are interested in Topamax dosing look for the Lancet study as an example.

I prescribe a number of different medications to my patients depending on their circumstances and health needs. They include Topamax, Campral and soon, Vivitrol, the injectable form of Naltrexone. Some individuals titrate down sooner than others, some continue on medications longer term, dosing is also individualistic.

However, please remember the meds are only one part of this therapeutic approach and we spend a great deal of time addressing the importance of nutrition, hypnotherapy, exercise, etc.

Thanks for your interest and good luck with your continued research.

--Dr. Garcia

Comment

Thank you for replying Dr. Garcia. I di d the research & understand & was able to get an Rx of topamax & the rest of the elements of the program so I am on my way. 2 days..so far so good ..well ..incredible...I am rather obsessed with the with the website & book...I wonder if the following observation is somewhat accurate: 1) those that seem to have the most trouble do not start out with all of the components of the program in place; 2) advanced rather than problem drinkers have a more complex time of it. Thanks so much to you & RJ, Brenda, & the others.

Comment

Working...
      X