Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numbness in knees after stopping Topa

Dr Garcia

Have you any idea why I am experiencing numbness in my knees, radiating down my calves to my toes after stopping the Topamax! I was only taking 25mg for three weeks, then gradually decreased my usage to nothing.

Whilst taking the Topa I experienced unbearable pins and needles in my feet, which is the reason I stopped taking it.

I am not feeling the pins and needles anymore as such - more a strange vibration feeling in my feet and just numbness and an almost paralytic feel to my lower legs, which is more prominent after rest.

It isn't happening all the time, but when it does - every couple or few days - I feel that my legs my fail me whilst walking. It's almost like they are not a part of me. Very strange and hard to explain.

Hope when you return you can shed some light on this problem.

Thanks very much
    Kath

Numbness in knees after stopping Topa

Hi Kath.

Thanks for your interest in the My Way Out Program. Your symptom could be a result of neuropathy (nerves) or circulation (claudication) or the medication. You did not mention tobacco or diabetes, however these can cause the problems you mentioned, as well.

I would continue to avoid all alcohol and tobacco products and, if diabetic, make sure the blood sugars are between 80 to 100 fasting and no more than 140 after meals. A good B-50 vitamin would be excellent, as will attention to nutrition and drinking plenty of water. Because your symptoms have overlap (nerves and circulation) I would advise you to see your regular doctor for a comprehensive evaluation.

Good job working though with the My Way Out program and remember: Acamprosate also blocks cravings for the disease of alcohol addiction, as does Kudzu and L-Glutamine .

Good Health to you!

--Dr. Garcia

Comment

Working...
    X