PDA

View Full Version : Aspartame.

December 5th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I was wondering if any one here has stop using Aspartame to help with alcohol withdrawl and/ or maintaining sobriety?

I haven't, I drink diet coke every day and am wondering if I should stop?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

ratana
December 5th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Aspartame has been in the science and medical news for some time, there are some problems. FDA Should Reconsider Aspartame Cancer Risk, Say Experts ~ Newsroom ~ News from CSPI (http://www.cspinet.org/new/200706251.html)
Also, aside from cancer, some nutrition researchers believe that drinking artificially sweetened drinks actually increases weight gain, something about insulin production.

beatle
December 5th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I think it's probably nasty stuff... but if it helps you through-- well, one vice at a time.

December 5th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Well, I ordered some Phenylalanine (it arrived today)and also noticed today that it is also in Diet coke. I googled it and even though Phenylalanine is good normally ,in the diet coke it binds to another amino acid in a way that is bad. Just seems like my efforts of taking the Phenylalanine are being wasted by drinking the diet coke. Hard to give it up though.

ratana
December 5th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Why are you taking it? We get plenty of it in meat and cheese and nuts, protein-rich foods. From Center for Cancer Research, Newcastle-upon-Tyne: "Overuse of phenylalanine supplements can cause anxiety, headaches and hypertension and are contraindicated for pregnant woman, those who suffer from anxiety attacks, high blood pressure, PKU, pigmented melanoma or anyone taking an anti-depressant containing monoamine oxidase inhibitors."

December 5th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I am trying Amino Acid Therapy to overcome alcohol withdrawal and Post Accute Withdrawl Syndrome.

I am going to be taking all 5 of these Aminos in this chart...You have to scroll down to the chart.

Nutrition : Holistic Approaches : The Addiction Recovery Guide (http://www.addictionrecoveryguide.org/holistic/nutrition.html)

I am pretty convinced to try this.

I know one can get these from food, but I ate food last time I tried to quit drinking.

Thanks for the warning on the Phenylalanine though, I will take it easy with the stuff.

nancy
December 6th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Beatle is right, best to take it one vice at a time.

But I don't think diet coke is good for alcohol withdrawal because it has a lot of caffeine in it and will keep you keyed up when what you actually need is relaxation (see the thread on deep breathing in this holistic section). Caffeine also keeps you hooked on a similar rush as what you get from booze, but without the heavy sedation effects of booze.

Have you read the book Seven Steps to Sobriety? It has a nutritional approach. I have read parts of it on this website. you can do a search for it. I don't understand how amino acid therapy alone could be the solution. Can someone explain that?

Since I started to come to this site, I am wary of anything that messes with blood sugar and have radically changed my diet, eliminated a lot of refined sugar, cut down on caffeine, got rid of diet sodas. I am not really sure how much effect that has on kicking booze. I do feel calmer than when I first started coming and have much longer AF periods.

MyOwnWoman
December 6th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Though I do cheat myself at times - even with diet coke which many years ago I drank a gallon of each day - I find that the more I just simply stick to whole foods the better.

Can you replace your diet coke with sparkling water? And (occasional coffee and) green tea for the caffiene?

Really, the more you eat WHOLE, FRESH unprocessed foods, pure drinks like water and tea, the easier everything becomes (mood, alcohol cravings, general well being, etc). I know well from experience, and from reading lots in the available literature.

then again, as said, I too believe we need to do what we need to do to get over the booze insanity. But - I am sure that shortcuts just drag out the agony. (like, I'll drink coffee in the afternoon when I feel blue... it helps short-term, but in a few hours I don't feel so good, so I'll indulge in refined foods, sugar, alcohol, then the next day feel like HELL, so I need more caffeine, which makes me crave more carbs, sugar, booze, which makes me need more caffiene.... you get it...)

The best I've ever felt was when I simply avoided all processed food and drink and filled myself full of whole foods, deep breaths and good sleep. When I felt like that, diet coke or anything un-pure, held absolutely no interest in me.

Btw - there are reports of how diet coke is made with the intention to be addictive to the brain.

nancy
December 6th, 2007, 08:53 AM
I completely agree with My own woman.

I wish my diet was more pure. I give myself one cup of coffee a day or maybe two, in the morning. There are a lot of great decaffeinated herbal teas. Sparkling waters taste great with a splash of fruit juice.

I really believe that moods can become more stable with nutrition and this has an effect on alcohol consumption.

Also, I have read that caffeine and sugar give you a kind of high like alcohol does. So if you quit booze you are naturally drawn to the others but it's best to resist that urge if you want to get out of addictive cycles.

December 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Nancy,

I haven't read "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" but am going to get it and read it. Several people here have mentioned that book and it sounds very interesting.

I think I will give up the diet coke and just drink sparkling water with fruit juice. I will have to be careful that the fruit juice doesn't have any sugar added, just juice. And of course make sure that the juice doesn't have any aspartame in it.

I really feel like I am ready to give up the Aspartame. I am 25 days AF and might as well detox off of the Aspartame too.

There is still going to be alot of Aspartame products around the house because my husband is diabetic and he gets Ice Cream, pudding, jello, jellies and diet pop all with Apartame in them but that doesn't mean I need to eat them just because they are here.

He has been nice enough to not have any alcohol around the house so I don't have to worry about that , so I guess I will just not eat the Aspartame products around the house.

Oh, and I have been doing the breathing exercizes here in the holistic section...it helps alot.

nancy;234996 wrote: Beatle is right, best to take it one vice at a time.

But I don't think diet coke is good for alcohol withdrawal because it has a lot of caffeine in it and will keep you keyed up when what you actually need is relaxation (see the thread on deep breathing in this holistic section). Caffeine also keeps you hooked on a similar rush as what you get from booze, but without the heavy sedation effects of booze.

Have you read the book Seven Steps to Sobriety? It has a nutritional approach. I have read parts of it on this website. you can do a search for it. I don't understand how amino acid therapy alone could be the solution. Can someone explain that?

Since I started to come to this site, I am wary of anything that messes with blood sugar and have radically changed my diet, eliminated a lot of refined sugar, cut down on caffeine, got rid of diet sodas. I am not really sure how much effect that has on kicking booze. I do feel calmer than when I first started coming and have much longer AF periods.

December 6th, 2007, 03:40 PM
MOW,

Yes, I could drink sparking water with fruit juice in it instead of diet soda.

I could drink green tea and coffee for caffiene. I am trying to give up sugar and aspartame and so giving up caffiene would probably be too much for me right now.

I cook most things from scratch so I don't think I use very many processed foods. I am sure I have a lot to learn about eating more nutritionally though.

I really enjoy reading your post, you seem to know alot about health and nutrition and I am sure I can learn alot from you.

Determinator
December 7th, 2007, 01:48 AM
hi folks good idea to give up the aspartame...it's rather addictive or so I believe from personal experience...I used to drink a ton of diet soda and it didn't do me any good.
better natural sweeteners are stevia and agave nectar...both natural and not harmful.

beatle
December 7th, 2007, 10:51 AM
There is a lot of good advice here.

I agree that aspartame is addictive, though not to the extent of our mutual enemy.

As MOW says, nutrition is also key. Whole foods etc. However, if you are a vegetarian or vegan, or just don't eat much food high in protein, I don't think you are getting too much phenylalanine, are you? (that's a question, actually).

Rosalind, I hope you do get "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" because I think it will give you so much of the information you seem to want. I use its guidelines together with MWO and it helps me very much.

December 7th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Beatle,

I am not eating alot of protein this time around. I did eat an EXTREMELY high protein diet the first time I tried to quit drinking and still had EXTREMELY bad PAWS at 6 and 7 weeks AF.

This way seems with the to be working better for me so far.

No one knows how bad I get PAWS when I try to quit drinking. I am in a fight for my own life so I have to do what works for me!

I will order the books, "Seven Weeks to Sobreity" and "My way out" as soon as I get another check in. (have spent quite a bit of money on supps already)

December 7th, 2007, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=nancy;234996]

I don't understand how amino acid therapy alone could be the solution. Can someone explain that?

---------------------------------------
Nancy,

I am not really doing Amino Acid Therapy "alone".

I am also taking a b complex and a calcuim, mag, complex.

I am taking Choline Bitartrate and Folic Acid.

Evening Primrose Oil and Fish oil

The Aminos I take are:

L-glut
Gaba
5htp
DL phenylalanine
L- tyrosine

Unrealated to drinking issues perhaps I take:

Iron
Zinc
Copper
Kelp.

For cravings I take Kudzu. I took alot at first, not so much now. (day 26 af)

Now I don't have time to drink, neither can I afford it!:H

beatle
December 8th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Don't know why, but taurine is also heavily supplemented in the "Seven Weeks" supplement regime. I think it is calming and also helps the brain chemistry adjust.

beatle
December 8th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Also--

In "Seven Weeks to Sobriety", there is an extensive amino acid regime, together with all kinds of vitamins and minerals. It also places much emphasis on nutrition. While the detox phase (first 2 weeks AF) is heavily dependent on the aminos and other supps (to help withdrawal and restore brain chemistry), much of the recovery phase focuses on nutrition (and to a lesser degree on supplements).

As we all know, one-side approaches don't seem to work. It's the combination, as with the MWO approcah, that gives most success.

December 8th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Deter,

I switched from regular cokes to diet cokes about 5-6 years ago when my husband was diagnosed with diabetes. I have not lost any weight by switching from regular cokes to diet. Now I don't like regular cokes either so now I am drinking soda water with fruit juice in it or green tea with stevia. I think I feel better already,(One day) though it might be too soon to tell really.

I haven't heard of the agave though, but will give it a try.

Accountable for Me
December 8th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I believe anything artificial is not a good thing. But like others have said, one vice at a time. I believe alcohol abuse is much more damaging than diet coke a this point.

Since I quit almost a year ago, my coffee intake has been slowly increasing. errrr.... I went from 2 nice, strong cups of coffee in the morning to two more in the aft and sometimes another one in the evening.

No wonder I am edgy lately. But it does beat drinking.

December 8th, 2007, 12:49 PM
beatle;236321 wrote: Don't know why, but taurine is also heavily supplemented in the "Seven Weeks" supplement regime. I think it is calming and also helps the brain chemistry adjust.
Beatle,

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I switched from taking the Gaba and the Lglut in the afternoon to L-glut and taking MWO's "True Calm" in the afternoon which has Gaba and Taurine in it, so I am getting taurine too. 200 MG a day.

I still take the regular Gaba in the morning with the L-glut.

Cashregister
December 9th, 2007, 06:48 PM
It's great if you want to increase bipolar hypomania (or mania if you are so inclined) - other than that it's really really bad for you - really :)

Well that's what all my Docs say anyway....

So I stay away, unless really wanna coke - sometimes just need the rubbish in my life.

I think of it as a little treat - in the hot Oz summers it's sometimes better to reach for the Coke Zero than the six pack - like Beatle says, one vice at a time.....

Cashy

beatle
December 10th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Rosalind, in "Seven Weeks" you are supposed to take 1,500mg Taurine 3xday in the first 2 detox weeks and 750mg 3xday in the next 5 weeks... and presumably beyond. I think it helps with shaking and tremors, but you are well beyond that stage now.

December 10th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Beatle,

I've got that book saved in my cart at Amazon along with others for future ordering. (still waiting for a check) (self employed, hard to say when "pay day" is exactly.)

beatle
December 10th, 2007, 01:38 PM
oh yeh, I hear you loud and clear. My parents keep sending me these books since they "found out" about my "problem". Pretty funny, since I am over 40 (and not in the poorhouse, have a family, job, etc.). They believe it is a physical/chemistry thing that can be solved with supps/aminos, etc. I think they are about 80% right. But everyone does have issues. Dealing with that comes after you fix up the chemistry part.... But that's a damn hard 20%.

December 10th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Beatle,

Well , I could just put em on my credit cards. Oh wait, they're maxed out. When I got them I was just going to use them for "emergencies". Unfortunately, running out of whiskey was always an "emergency" to me.

I agree with you that taking care of the chemical part first is better because that way one can think cleary enough and stay sober long enough to take care of the rest.

Plus I think people can get too wrapped up in a bunch of pychological mumbo jumbo. Sometimes it is better to just get over things and get on with your life instead of going over and over and over issues.

beatle
December 10th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I agree with you there. I owe big thanks to my mum for seeing that. The rest of my family thinks I need a "serious" psychological overhaul. A bit strange, when they all have more messed-up lives than I do. Anyway, I'll do that when my body is ready... and not the 12-step way (which is what they are all shoving down my throat).

December 10th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Beatle,

AA is all some people know. I told my family I was going to smart instead and they were fine with that. ( I am doing both MWO and Smart)

I think my family likes Smart because it is abstinence only. It is easy for them to say I should quit forever. I am actually enjoying AF, it is just I am not sure that I would never ever ever want to try moderation again.

I would like to moderate if I could make it work (Or perhaps just be an occasional drinker), but now is not the time to try that....But never? I just don't know. Forever is a long time.

I know we can take it one day at a time, but my family is in forever mode for me I think. (again easy for them to say for me)

How would your family feel about Smart Recovery? Have you looked into Smart Recovery. It might keep them from shoving AA down your throat anyways?

December 11th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Where did that come from? Sometimes I surprize myself. Actually I am leaning more toward just giving the stuff up for good than this last post of mine would indicate.

Guess I do need to deal with the other thought bouncing around my head too?

Back to the subject of the Aspartame, I have been cutting way back on the Aspartame and feel much, much better so I do think it is helping with the absing. This is my 3rd time doing a 30 or more abs (trying for a 100 days AF this time)( 30 days Af today) and am surprised that I never even thought about cutting back on the Aspartame before. I think this is helping quite a bit.

I have done a 30 Af before, 7 weeks AF before, and on day 30AF of this one. Trying for 100 days AF this time around.

beatle
December 11th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Since this thread was started, I stopped my daily 1/2 litre of "Sprite Lite" . I don't notice any difference in anything actually, but I guess it's a good habit to stop. I drink fresh pressed juice instead (which I did also before, just a bit more now).

As for AF for life or not, I don't think anyone should decide that in early days. Better to just keep shorter term goals and keep re-asessing.

December 11th, 2007, 03:19 PM
beatle;238622 wrote:

As for AF for life or not, I don't think anyone should decide that in early days. Better to just keep shorter term goals and keep re-asessing.
I agree, but if I go to my family in 100 days, (70 days from now) and say I want to try and moderate again, I don't know how they would react. Oh well, will have to cross that bridge when I come to it I guess. Right now I don't even know if I want to try mods again anyways. I feel good AF right now.

beatle
December 11th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I think that's the best way to go about it. One day at a time is not such a dumb idea.

December 11th, 2007, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=beatle;238622]Since this thread was started, I stopped my daily 1/2 litre of "Sprite Lite" . I don't notice any difference in anything actually, but I guess it's a good habit to stop. I drink fresh pressed juice instead (which I did also before, just a bit more now).

QUOTE]

1/2 a liter wasn't that bad, I think I was drinking about 2 liters of Diet Coke a day when I was absing....no wonder I was not feeling well....DUH. (Maybe it wasn't PAWS that was making me feel ill, maybe it was Aspartmame poisoning!)

beatle
December 11th, 2007, 03:41 PM
2 litres sounds like a lot. I sometimes had 2 half litres (often mixed with vodka in the old days). Well, I have a friend who does not drink alcohol but she drinks about 6 half-litres of diet pepsi a day. I should probably warn her. (She has diabetes)

December 11th, 2007, 04:03 PM
beatle;238699 wrote: 2 litres sounds like a lot. I sometimes had 2 half litres (often mixed with vodka in the old days). Well, I have a friend who does not drink alcohol but she drinks about 6 half-litres of diet pepsi a day. I should probably warn her. (She has diabetes)

Well, you could ask her to quit the Aspartame or cut down for 2 weeks and how she feels at the end of two weeks? If she feels better after 2 weeks she might want to keep it up.

An occasional diet coke or diet ice cream is probably Ok once in a while.

beatle
December 11th, 2007, 04:20 PM
yeh, good idea. She won't like it, but she respects me so maybe she will try. I love her dearly so anything I can do to help her is a plus. (I sometimes think about how hard it is for her with her diabetes, and compare it in my head to my problem with alcohol. Does anyone else do this?)

December 12th, 2007, 02:20 PM
My husband has diabetes and I have been dropping hints about how good I feel without so much Aspartame, I notice that he has been slowing down a bit with the diet coke. It is a little more difficult for a diabetic to cut down on the Aspartame then the rest of us so I don't push him too much on the issue.

December 12th, 2007, 02:22 PM
beatle;238747 wrote: (I sometimes think about how hard it is for her with her diabetes, and compare it in my head to my problem with alcohol. Does anyone else do this?)
Sometimes I think how come he ( my husband) gets to have an occassional candy bar (type 2) but I don't get to have an occassional drink?:H

justacowgirl
January 1st, 2008, 11:43 PM
I too drink Diet Coke one 44 oz in the am and one in the pm. I think one addiction at a time or cut back, some coke addicts get really bad headaches when they stop drinking caffeine. They take tylenol or ecedrin to get through which has caffeine in it also.

Diamond7
January 2nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
After my brother gave me an hour long lecture about Aspartame I quit drinking soda altogether. I'll have one soda maybe every couple of months and noticed I don't have indigestion/heartburn nearly as much as I used to which is so nice. I do have my 2 cups of coffee in the morning, no way am I giving up coffee lol and I drink at least a gallon of water a day.

Shaila
February 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Has any one read the book your bodys cries for water .....in it they explain how aspartme is very bad and drinking optimum amounts of pure fresh water witha pinch of se salt can cure a myriad of diseases. Some people even gave up drinking AL with just water
Also cofee/tea and ginseng dry out your body so try to avoid those - the more water you drink the better it will be for your body to heal and cleanse.

Also I used to do deep breathing called oxycise where you increase oxugen intake so the cells can work better at eliminating waste products in the system
shaila

Determinator
February 23rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
artificial things in general are bad as a rule of thumb, but I've heard almost no bad things about tea. I'ts cancer fighting properties alone are quite amazing (green, white and even black tea without sugar or milk).

Rosalind, congrads on cutting back on the aspartame...I think you are on the right track.
7 weeks is a great book with a lot of great ideas for nutrition. I'd definitely check it out.

I've noticed for myself when I eat plenty of lean protein and get most if not all of my carbs from veggies and fruit, my cravings are quite low. If I get low on protein I start to crave carbs...then I start to crave AL. very clear relationship for me.