Finished the Program, now what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I have finished weaning myself off the Topamax and am wondering, now what?

I have to say that being off the medication is such a delight. We had one of the hottest summers in New York and the medication really affected me. I am also very active and couldn't keep up my workout intensity due to incredible fatigue. My hair fell out as I was dosing up and down. Once I got and stayed at 300 mg, it stopped falling out (in fact most side effects went away). All my friends told me that I just wasn't myself.; they thought I was a little "dead" and out of it.

On the bright side, my drinking has really moderated. I never have more than 2 or 3 drinks (max) when I go out (once a week) and don't drink at home when alone. That's a big change. I also lost 10 pounds (although I didn't really need to). I feel really good about what I have achieved.

All in all, the program was a success, but now I am really worried that without the drug, I'll go back to drinking more heavily. That an increase in the number of drinks on a night out will creep in. That I'll crave that "just one more."

I still do the clearing tape and did buy the one for moderating drinking when you go out. I get the feeling though that now, without the drugs, it is going to be up to me and my motivation and will power. My desire to not be hung over and tired the next day. My desire to not do foolish things. My desire to not black out and forget whole evenings. I realize now that this is what I'm facing now for all my hard work while on the program.

I found being on the medication excruitiating -- the side effects. so, I don't want to squander that investment.

I am wondering, beyond what you recommend in the book, what else can be done to maintain moderation? Is staying on the drug a lower dose an option? Will it help? What is optimal with minimal side effects? Or is it best to go off all togehter?

Thanks.

Hi, New York.

Congratulations on completing the program. I intended to reply to this yesterday and my response is similar to Jen's answer "Topamax after 12 Weeks". You may wish to consider using Topamax at a lower dose and one that is less bothersome to you, switch to another medication, or increase your intake of the supplements in combination with hypnotherapy. You should be able to determine quite soon if your craving returns and working with your health care provider develop a strategy to keep it under control.

--Dr. Garcia

Comment

Working...
    X