PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium

beatle
January 7th, 2008, 02:50 AM
I've read that magnesium is a relaxing supplement and it is good to take at bedtime. I woke up early this a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep so I tried taking some sublingual magnesium (homeopathic), and found myself relaxing almost immediately. Anyone else have this experience?

My question is, how much magnesium can one take? Is it dangerous to take too much? If so, how much is too much?

Victory
January 7th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Your body will let you know

Hi ya beattle, magnesium is good for the nerves and exceptionally good for those of us with a long history of drinking, the alcohol leeches this and other nutrients from the body. If you take too much the result is usually diarrhoea.

Cinders
January 7th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Beatle,

Magnesium (http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp)

This is a great write up on Magnesium. Mentions alcoholism and tolerable upper limit intake. (Long, though.)

Hope this helps!!

Love,
Cindi

trixietrack
January 7th, 2008, 01:19 PM
magnesium is also good for PMS. My doctor suggested it as well as calcium to me a few years ago when I was almost losing my mind for a week every month.

January 7th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Beatle, Somewhere on the "The way up from down" site I read, I think, that one should not exceed 1000 mg a day magnesium. I keep mine to 750 mg just to be sure I am not getting too much. The only problem is I can't find exactly where I read that now on the site.

Determinator
January 7th, 2008, 06:42 PM
yep!

Cinders
January 7th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Det,

Thanks for that enlightening post!! :H

Love,
Cindi

lushy
January 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Excuse me while I wipe the tears from my eyes over Det's beautiful post. Such meaning behind one simple word.

Determinator
January 7th, 2008, 09:19 PM
hahahahahahahaha

beatle
January 8th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Thanks all. I read that Cindi, but I think the upper limits are for "normal" people. I think I read that alcoholics absorb as little as 20% of the magnesium they take in.

Determinator, you have especially helped me to understand this complicated issue. May I quote you in future?

Determinator
January 8th, 2008, 11:37 AM
oh my...still laughing...ok.

Beattle by all means that pearl of wisdom is all yours.

well lets see if I can extrapolate a bit:

Magnesium is scientifically proven to be the most important mineral for heart health and amazingly 80% of Americans are deficient in it.
in a nutshell mag has the following key benefits:
eases irregular heart rythms
improved high blood pressure
helps the body balance potassium levels
angina chest pains are reduced
reduces arterial blockage by disallowing platelets to clump together

and here's a biggie: blood sugar stabilization. people with type II diabetes can in some cases get of insulin all together after using mag supplements!
eating sugar depletes mag in the body so it's a nasty cycle. Stop eating sugar and start taking mag!

mag also is super for hypertention/high blood pressure and works like a calcium channel blocker without the side effects. i could go on but here's a few more:

Mitral valve prolapse. magnesium corrects this weakening of the heart valve which is associated with fatigue.

Asthma. magnesum giving intraveniously stops an asthma attack in it's tracks. supplements diminish wheezing. I would take it for just this as I have asthma.

migranes

Fibromyalgia (reduces pain)

general brain function. almost every brain disorder patient is found to be critically low in mag. hmmmmmm. parkensens, alzheimers, schizophrenia, premature aging etc.

osteoperosis. may be more important than calcium since mag keeps the calcium from being excreted and helps it to go to work in our bones.

muscles. olympic wight trainers take mag supps....need I say more?

PMS. yes...relief!

warning: if you have kidney disease don't take mag until you've done more research and seen your doc.

the only way to know for sure how much you need is to get a blood test but on average we need from 400 to 1,000 mg per day.

so what kind?
magnesium oxide is the most common but doesn't get the mag to cell tissue the best.
instead look for mag orotate.

you can also just soak your feet in epsom salts. you body will absorb only as much mag as it needs and it's also very relaxing :)

there will be a test later. class dismissed.

take your magnesium!!!

Miss October
January 8th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Det,

You should have stuck with the "Yep" :H

Oh, just joking, thanks for the info !! Looks like I'm doing the right thing. I have magnesium in my liquid calcium that I take daily. Thanks again.

Determinator
January 8th, 2008, 07:52 PM
my pleasure. Magnesium citrate is also good

Determinator
January 8th, 2008, 07:53 PM
often times multi vitamins will have magnesium...but only a pathetic amount so we must read the fine print...the journey for truth continues....

beatle
January 10th, 2008, 03:41 PM
know thyself, Determinator.

MyOwnWoman
September 11th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Today I took magnesium for the first time. My chiropractor recommended it because I've been in severe pain, he said it would easy my muscles.
And OMG - I have NO pain right now! And very shortly after taking it (I was at work) I felt so peaceful and chilled it was most lovely, considering how freaked out I've been lately (stress, hormones). I seriously feel more sane tonight than I have in weeks. And though I'm craving AL tonight, I'm able to just observe the craving, knowing I'm not giving in to it. Usually I either give in or am obsessed and miserable.

I am in LOVE with Magnesium!!

(the one I got is Peter Gillman's Natural Calm - highly recommeded to me by 3 people who know)

DeeBee
September 12th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I was taking magnesium when I first started the program but after about 3 months I stopped due to lack of finances - buying all those supps can sure add up.

I always thought it was a bit like the milk thistle in that I would'nt need to take it for ever but now after reading Det's informative post I am pondering whether I should'nt give it a bash again?

vinophile
September 13th, 2008, 03:27 PM
MOW,
I was recommended Gilman's "natural calm" magnesium by my health food store and I think it is the best!!! I take it in the evening and have had no trouble sleeping. I'm wondering about taking it during the day now if I'm particularly stressed out
DeeBee, it is kind of expensive but I rationalize by saying that since I'm not drinking wine I can splurge on the magnesium.
Janet

kriger
September 13th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Victory,
I am having the opposite of diarrhea so I guess I'd better start taking the Magnesium again. I stopped all my supps a while ago. Thanks. Kriger

beatle
September 13th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Stop your supps? Big boo boo.

CaptJBean
September 13th, 2008, 11:21 PM
you've all encouraged me to get back on the supps... thanks for all the info

Determinator
September 28th, 2008, 02:17 PM
ok, this is wierd but I've found that the latest magnesium supplement I've bought to keep both Dx and myself up at night!??? good grief. it's "nature made" 250mg FYI

LVT25
November 10th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I don't know how to copy a link to a thread, so I'm bumping this up for Iris.

gelgit
November 19th, 2008, 06:13 PM
More about Magnesium

I'm not suggesting any special website or company, BUT, anyone wanting to know more than "mainstream" info about the miracle of MG must look up "Oil of Magnesium" I've been rubbing it on my skin and brushing my teeth with it (an acquired taste) for years. With MgCl applied transdermally there is NO stomach, kidney, bowel or liver interaction. The Mg goes directly to the cells that need it. Also, it makes an effective deodorant and gets right into the lymph system. A little sticky, but dries in a minute and maybe a bit of a sting that goes right away.
It's probably the main reason my body has survived all of the Al abuse for so many years.

It's not expensive, especially as I buy it by the gallon which lasts me 2 years or so. Any questions: just ask:)