My plan thus far - suggestions welcome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First I want to thank you all for the openness with which you've welcomed me into this group.
    Now, my idea is to try not drinking for the next 30 days, (and I'm already on day 3 seeing as I last got drunk on saturday.) And then to see how I felt after that stage. I'm not an everyday drinker - more a weekend binge drinker, but I have been drinking to black out point with some regularity over the last 4 years or so. For this reason I don't think I need the prescription medication, but I have managed to get hold of B complex, multi vitamins and L-Glutamine to help me get healthy. I feel that over the last few years I have gradually developed a self destructive relationship w. alcohol, and I'd like to change this to something much healthier.I never used to drink to black out point, but now I do it almost every time I go out for a 'big night' with friends. Embarrassing to say the least, because it's always me who has to be taken home, who can't stand up - who is the 'liability'. Awful. So- no more 'big nights'...
    My thinking is that if I can change this relationship and form new habits with drinking, then maybe I can be a moderate drinker? I know I have a problem, I want to change and I'm really hoping it's possible.

I guess i need to see how it goes for the next few weeks-
    I have a lot of questions about managing moderation, but I'll save them for later.

Not sure how often I'll be posting, but I will continue to read the boards. You are an inspiring bunch.

Hi SIB - And :welcome: !!

Your plan sounds great! 30 Days AF and then decide your next steps. That's also the book's recommendation, so you're in good company!

My only suggestion would be...... post often !!! Not only for support to stay AF for those 30 days, but also because, if you're anything like me, you can learn ALOT about yourself and your drinking habits by talking about what's going with you during those initial 30 days. Giving up alcohol is MAJOR change - even if it was only on the weekends - and "processing" your thoughts about it here with us is a good idea! And a few laughs always help too......

Best of luck on your journey! You sound super-prepared and motivated!

wonder

Comment

Great to see you, SIB!

I agree with Wonder. Posting is like journaling, with someone on the other end to give you feedback - it can be very powerful in getting closer to understanding your drinking triggers and behavior. I would also recommend downloading the book, if you haven't. You can do that from this website. That also has a lot of really helpful information, and can be helpful if you are planning to moderate after your 30 days. But, I do believe it is VERY important to give yourself those 30 days - it is a gift to yourself to understand why those binges happen and possibly a way to unfold them.

Good luck, and stay close.

Namaste,

MM
      Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Hi SIB,

Glad that you are here! Sounds like you are off to a great start with 30 days AF. I would suggest that you just center yourself on 30 days AF right now and revisit the moderating idea after you complete the 30 days. If you have not read the MWO book, it would be a good idea to read it. It really lays out the program and howit all works!

Best Wishes to you!
        KateH
        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Hi SiB--
          Sounds like you have a good plan. It's simple, really--if there's something in your life that is routinely a problem, change your routine. Planning for forever isn't necessary; it's only today that you should concentrate on.
          Good wishes to you
          Mattje

Comment

Now, my idea is to try not drinking for the next 30 days, (and I'm already on day 3 seeing as I last got drunk on saturday.) And then to see how I felt after that stage. I'm not an everyday drinker - more a weekend binge drinker, but I have been drinking to black out point with some regularity
            I feel that over the last few years I have gradually developed a self destructive relationship w. alcohol, and I'd like to change this to something much healthier.I never used to drink to black out point, but now I do it almost every time I go out

- I am in the same situation as sad in Beijing, so Im going to copy your plans. Youve inspired me.
            Im also on day 3 AF
            Thanks.

Comment

Good one cooky.
              I'm doing ok- havent been drinking since I posted that. Got through the weekend - with two dinners out (and wine offered), and managed to stick to my AF. Not too hard so far, but the socializing without al made me a bit anxious. reading these boards has helped me more than I can say- and really strengthened my resolve. I've been having a lot of 'eureka' moments, when I have really been able to see my patterns/abuse of alcohol and the issues behind it.
              Power to you all. x

Comment

Hey Sad and Cooky, Both of you are off to a good start to AF days. I could not even conceive of a month, 30 days AF, a couple of weeks ago and now I'm 24 days AF. Maybe, no I'm almost certain, that I will most likely see 30 days AF. But still I'm One Day At a Time. Continue the journey
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X