Trying to stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to stop

I work in a bar environment about five days a week and Im allowed to drink while I am working it actually makes my job go by easier. i have been drinking for about almost 6 years. I stopped one time for a year. Then I started back up about 3 years ago. Now it has gotten worst I drink probalby easily 8-10 glasses of wine a night 5 days a week. I cant stop because I have to be around it for my job I cant get a new job because I wont make the money. i dont know what to do.
    When I said I work in a bar environment and it makes my job go by easier by drinking. I am an entertainer (stripper) and i do not enjoy it but it is the only means of a good income for my family.

Trying to stop

Welcome Leona....please stick around and read, read, read. I dont have any suggestions for your particular situation, but wanted you to know, this is a great place to be.
    This is no longer a drinking problem...it's a matter of Life or Death!!!

Comment

Trying to stop

Welcome, Leona. I hope you find the answers you are looking for here~ there are thousands of posts here. The good news is that there isn't a right or wrong answer, and ultimately, you'll know what you should do (easier said than done).

Different, but the same: have you ever talked to someone who's worked in a fast food restaurant for a couple of years? When they are working there, even though they get free or half priced food, they won't eat there, because they are "sick of it".... and when they finally do quit, they vow that they'll never eat at another BurgerQueen again!

If only it was that easy with alcohol.
      After all, you know it's not good. You said you are trying to stop.... it's too bad the little switch in your brain didn't read the memo, you know? Oftentimes, there is a physical addiction that must first be controlled before your brain has a chance to assume control of your body.

There is a Live Chat connected to this website, and you'll find people there almost 24/7. There is also a "My Way Out" book that you can download for free, so you can read about the physical addiction. And if you stick around here, you'll meet people from all over the world. Everyone here will be an inspiration for you- from the people that are struggling to the ones that have made it. And your story, Leona, will give someone else the courage to look at themself and say, well, if she can do it, so can I!:l

Take care,

Patty
      Tampa, FL

Comment

Trying to stop

ahh. i cant be around bars when trying to be af.. its just frustrating to me. especially to see all my friends out giggling, lauphing, and talking about nonsense being drunk..

Comment

Trying to stop

Hi Leona,
          Just like to say :welcome: aboard,

Looks like you are not in the right job, but i do know you are at the right place here, you will get lots of support and help. People here on mwo out have help me a lot. so stick around and keep posting and reading.

Good Luck.x
          love
          Teardrop.x
          family is everything to me

Comment

Trying to stop

Hi Leona, welcome. It would be impossible for me to work in a bar, if I did I would never
            be sober, you must be a fairly strong person to have managed to work all this time.
            Best of luck.
            Paula.

Comment

Trying to stop

i can kinda relate

Hi Leona. I can kinda relate to your situation, I work at a brewery. Its a good paying job witha future, and those are hard to come by these days for sure. Theres been times i drank at work as well, I mean it happens. Lucky for me the novelty wore off and I soon realised how much it sux having to work with a buzz so I just quit doing it.

I don't think the fact that we work around alcohol should make that huge of a difference though in our decision to quit. Alcohol is just too readily available and lots of people who dont work around it still manage to drink all day at work...I guess what I'm saying is that you CAN deal with your problem, even if you work at a bar. Anyone who decides to quit will have to deal with temptations and all no matter what. You and I are no different with our work environments. Saying no to a glas of wine (or a beer in my case) in my view isn't much different than simply driving past the liquor store on the way home rather than stopping by. Hope this helps and best of luck to you, you can do it Leona.

Comment

Trying to stop

Hi Leona, how about if for start you just try to reduce the amount you drink while at work. Small success in this regard may propel you to go all the way. Any improvement is, after all, better than the status quo. Just a thought, and much good luck, j
                Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

Trying to stop

Hi Leona. You came to the right place. You're in a tough situation. Janka has a good suggestion. One way to reduce the amount you drink at work is to start drinking closer to quitting time. Slowly, make it closer and closer to quitting time. It's kind of like body building. You lift the same weight for a week or two then add more weight because you become stronger. In your case, your adding time, and like losing weight, your losing the drinks, slowly weening yourself. Good luck.

Comment

Trying to stop

Hi Leona, very tough situation. but you made a great step by coming to this site. I think when your ready, your ready just like patty said.
                    Good Luck

Comment

Trying to stop

Leona, I can really relate to your story. I worked at a strip club as well, but I got to keep my clothes on (waitress). But I am all too familier with the envorinment. Our bosses would let the waitresses and dancers drink on the job too. It was encouraged so we could get the suckers (customers) to buy the drinks for us. If we didn't encourage this, we could get in trouble. Hell, some dancers had to get drunk just to have the nerve to strip.

I know the money is good. But let's face it, no matter how good it is, you can not do this job forever. You don't even seem happy to be there. You mentioned drinking helped to "make your job go by easier". No amount of money is worth your health and happiness.

So on that note, you do have to look to the future. You may not have an opportunity immediately available for a new job, but what are you planning to do when you can't dance any more? You may need to consider implementing a plan to quit sooner than later. I know a lot of dancers who put themselves through school to get a better job. Even if it's just a tech college for a few months. In the meantime, why not consider taking the supps to cut back cravings?

I hope I'm not butting in too much, hun. Just have seen way too many girls on your same road. At least you want to quit and that in itself is a great accomplishment.

We are here for you. I hope you keep in touch.

Love, Me
                      :l :l :l
                      Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Trying to stop

I agree with Thankful. I don't know where you live, so I don't know what kind of help you can receive for going back to school, but taking that step will help. Obviously you are not happy where you are at, but setting goals will help you know you will not be there forever.
                        Goal 1: Today
                        Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Trying to stop

Hi Leona
                          :welcome: to my way out!
                          There are lots of smart people here and we will all help you in any way we can.
                          I do think that you are not happy in your job . The money is not worth the price you are paying for it.. Your health and feeling good about yourself are more important than anything. I know the pay and tips are good, but as someone else said..."what are you going todo after you do this?"
                          There are "tools" here to help you get your thinking straight.
                          Another site that is good is smartrecovery.com
                          Look for the "tools' and begin to use them.
                          You are "Priceless"....

:l Nancy
                          "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Trying to stop

Here's one of my favorite mindless sayings:
                            "If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going. "

So, Leona, where would you like to go? You know that your alcohol isn't helping your situation~ and you almost sound imprisoned in your job because of the money... Have you ever tried to journal your thoughts and dreams? Sometimes when I see things written down, they become more achievable. I mean, can you see the path to get you from where you are today, to becoming a college graduate? Maybe if you just write down where you want to be in one year,you can get there!

Everything doesn't have to change at once, unless that's how you want it. In a year, maybe you'll have the same (unhappy) job, but you've minimized your drinking. Maybe you've found a different (happy) job, and/or you've become alcohol free.

If you don't like your job and want to change jobs, change jobs. Don't let the power of the dollar bill keep you in a job that's horrible for you! Find your options!!! Can you adjust your outgoing bills? Is there someone else in your life that can contribute to the bills? If not, can you get a job waitressing in a fancy restaurant ?

Be patient, and hopeful Leona. We are here for you! :h

Patty
                            Tampa, FL

Comment

Trying to stop

Hi Leona:welcome:
                              This is a wonderful place for support and information. You don't say in your post, but are you required to drink with customers? Some are, and that would be hard to overcome and keep the job. If not maybe you can switch to mixers or ginger ale with a twist.

I know it is hard to not drink when you are around it all night, so maybe you can come up with an alternative you like, and I don't mean the marijuana maintenance plan either. :giggle:

Have you thought about changing careers? I know the money there is good, but there are other things you can do to make good money without the alcohol. The fastest trained person I know who makes good money is a phlebotomist. The school is just a couple of months and they start out at a good wage.

You might want to check with a High School counselor to find out what jobs take the least amount of training for the most pay. I don?t know how old you are, but the career you are in is limited by age and you will eventually have to find something else. Maybe this is the time to make plans.

:huggy

bear
                              What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
                              ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

Working...
                              X