Because of my Drinking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have spent the last 20 years of my life binge drinking - sometimes not so often, the last 3-4 years too often. For some reason, once I reached my mid-thirties, my drinking became worse. I still don't drink every night, but when I do drink it is to the point of blackout and pissing off everyone around me, thoroughly embarrassing myself. And the next day, I am so sick I can't even move. And this happens 2-4 times a week. It is now affecting my work and my personal life (I used to be very active in the outdoors , despite my drinking - now I have become a couch potato).

I went for help; AA, a therapist (who recovered with AA) and a "pill" lady (ARNP) and was eventually diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. I thought, oh - this is the reason I am so agro and drinking so much. So, I took the lithium and other drugs thinking I'd get better. It worked, for a while but probably only masked the real problem because I started drinking again - even to the point where I was near death the next day because of the dehydration due to the mixture of alcohol and lithium.

I then went to a naturopath and found that I was severely allergic to gluten and a few other foods that could be causing my anger/depression, I was also very deficient in several vitamins/iron. So, I went off the gluten and the Bipolar pills and felt better for awhile. But then, started binge drinking again...

So, I have come to the conclusion that I don't really have any kind of mental disorder. I was not diagnosed by a psychiatrist, but by an ARNP, and everyone I know told me it was BS, but I really wanted to believe that it was my problem; I have since learned that there is an over-diagnosis problem of Bipoloar disorder. So, I am now off the lithium and anti-depressants and feel much better (and my loved ones are happy too - they never thought it was my problem).

I just drink too damn much and that is the cause of all my anger, depression and vitamin deficiencies (I learned this after reading this site). But I never wanted to give alcohol up - it has always been my friend, and my crutch. But I have to start thinking of it as my enemy, because that is truly what it is...

I have my topamax, vitamins and am raring to go. This is day three for me. I know it is going to be difficult as I have "triggers" for drinking and everyone I know (including my family) are binge drinkers...I can't give up my loved ones so I have to learn to drink iced tea while they get wasted and just go to bed early.:sigh:

Thanks for listening and I am really happy this program is around - I remember trying to start it about 9 months ago and just never followed through (I thought the lithium would be my savior). Good to see that it has grown and has so much support. I have always believed that the way AA treats alcoholism was strange, because if it truly is a "disease" and a physical problem - how can you treat it with social behavior modification? i guess it works for some - most I saw there were still talking about their "alcohol problem" twice a week, 20 years after they had quit - yikes, I don't want that!uch:

:welcome: Hi Skygal and welcome ... you have been through a lot .. and now you sound really set on a course of action. keep posting!!
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

skygal12;256947 wrote: II just drink too damn much and that is the cause of all my anger, depression and vitamin deficiencies (I learned this after reading this site). But I never wanted to give alcohol up - it has always been my friend, and my crutch. But I have to start thinking of it as my enemy, because that is truly what it is...

Welcome, SkyGal! Congrats on your new attitude!
      I wish there was a smiley face of a bunch of smilies rowing along in a boat.... because we really all in the same boat. When I think about the overwhelming energy I used to have, I think that the alcohol slowly stole it away. I looked at my daytimer last year, and I admitted to missing work 4 times.... key word is ADMITTED.
      I've been AF for almost 2 months, and my energy is finally returning. When my cell phone rings at 8:00 am, I used to ignore it and make excuses why I didn't answer (i.e. left in the car, damn battery is dead again, it NEVER rang!).... well, you and I both know the real reason!

We are glad you're here. Read, read, read!

Patty
      Tampa, FL

Comment

Welcome Skygal12. I hope it works for you. Bella xx

Comment

Skygirl, welcome. You are on a postive path by choosing to join our little family.

Wow, you've been through a lot of crap! Geez! It really disturbs me when drs just want to push pills instead of getting to the underlying problem. That's due to them talking to you a whole 5 minutes before they push you out of the room and call in the next patient. I swear most of them have stocks for the prescriptions they write. They want to make money before they care about helping people. Sorry I don't want to offend anyone here (I obviously don't mean all drs, but I have met more than my share of whom I post about).

Boy can I relate to your family issues. I won't bore people with my story again. But if you think it may help you to read it (just so we can be comrades in arms ) you can click on my name and scroll down to all posts by...and look it up. Please do not feel obligated to do so.

You will get a lot from this site. These are amazing people always ready to lend an ear or dish advise. So stay with us. Read and post ... Read and post.

Good luck!

Love, Me
          :l
          Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

:welcome: sky.
            Your story sounds remarkably close to mine. I guess to many years of drink does the same things to us all. Just wanted to wish you luck on this rocky road to a real life. Youv'e come to the right place to get help for success, no matter what your goals.

:groupluv:
            K.F.

Worring about a problem is the real problem. Doing something about it will make a difference for the better.
            There's more to life than success. The greatest success is living well.

Comment

Hi Sky,

From a fellow binger, welcome and all the best to you. I know you can do it.

As for doctors out there, I have only come across one in all my travels that actually two two seconds to listen to my problem and try to help me. She was a GP and even though I still have al-issues, her compassion is one of the reasons that I keep fighting it.

Sometimes we get mad at those docs that won't prescribe the meds right away, but we should probably thank them.

Hope to see lots more of you around here.

-GTC
              "If you want to change, then change." -Blonde Chic from LOST

Comment

Hi Skygal,
                Wishing you much success with the topa. Keep the idea of alcohol being your enemy (as indeed it is the enemy of us all) in the forefront of your mind.........none of us would ever associate with an enemy.......thus, we must learn to sever all ties with the deadliest of enemies aka alcohol.

Love and strength to you,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

HI Skygal- Happy Saturday!
                  I just re-read your post, and I got to thinking.... after going to doctors, nurses, therapy and getting pills and labels stuck to your head with simple disorders.... well, now that you know it's really about alcohol and it's control over you.... are you relieved?

Stay close this weekend, if you can. When day 4 and 5 comes around, Mr. Al starts banging on the door and wants to know why you haven't let him in.... just for one..... well, stay close. We're here, Sky gal. :heart: Much love,

Patty
                  Tampa, FL

Comment

Skygal,
                    Hang in there! Or better yet, hang in here! Thi site has lots of support...and we all need support. Put a "do not dusturb" sign on the door your old buddy AL likes to use.
                    BHOG
                    War isn't working. Let's try Peace!

Comment

?Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.? - Ernest Hemingway
                      I never laughed so hard as I did when I read that.........love it

Comment

Working...
                      X