Just sittin' around taking it easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I truly believe I have ADD or ADHD. I can't sit still for more than a minute, my mind races, I go to do one thing and end up doing ten others, I can't focus on anything for more than about 15 seconds, etc., etc. But today (1-1/2 days out of detox) I'm trying really hard to just TAKE IT EASY. That's not an easy thing for me to do. I have a knitting project I want to start (mittens for my two grandbabies--the loves of my life and the only reason I keep trying to get sober for more than a day). But my mind just feels all ajumble and unable to comprehend even a simple mitten pattern. (That's sad.)

I feel so guilty for getting so little done in a day. Even when I was drunk as a skunk, I was functional.

Hi Pink: I haven't experienced detox but it seems like that must be somewhat normal ... mind feeling ajumble in the early days. I CAN relate to feeling better and more functional while in my drinking habits ... Just wanted to say hi, keep sitting around taking it easy :h :h
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

One idea: as alcohol is a depressant, we naturally tend to drift along in a nice semi-drowsy state when tippling...without that chemical, we're naturally more revved up! I honestly think that's why I drank wine for so long; I am naturally calibrated to a fairly high energy level, and enjoyed the slower pace wine provided. I don't think I'm at all ADD or ADHD (I'm a bit of a cynic about that "diagnosis," anyway)---just kind of wired. The first few days of AF, I had far too much energy to suit me, so I would go for long runs and spend hours at the gym, clean closets, go in the kitchen and make something labor-intensive like bouillabaisse with homemade aioli, bake bread, ANYTHING but sit still and fidget (and glance at the wine fridge, which has a clear glass door!) Give it a couple of weeks, and you'll settle down. Don't overdo the caffeine, though!
      Jane Jane

Comment

Hi Miss Pepper.... I hear you, but the foggy mind is just leftovers, in my opinion. Medically, I think that the synapses in your brain are used to being coated with alcohol, and without it, the connections seemed jumbled. The first couple of days of being AF, I felt like someone took my brain's dictionary and soaked it in rum.... and I couldn't articulate simple words without stopping and doing a word association thing (i.e. "Go turn the thing___ on to 350. WTF is it? Not stove, that's the top part, oh, I remember, OVEN!).... in my last post, I wrote, "he could sell an igloo to an Eskimo".... seriously, I had to do the word association thing to remember Eskimo!

Tell us about your grand babies! :h

Patty
        Tampa, FL

Comment

Ha PPC & Welcome.

Your brain is probably just jumbled, due to lack of vital amino's etc.( Thank's AL.) Have you checked out the suppliment part of MWO. They definately help get your brain back on track, so you can concentrate on the important thing's like mitten's.
          All the best along your path.
          K.F.
          There's more to life than success. The greatest success is living well.

Comment

Just go with it for a while. Don't ask too much of yourself and your brain will come right. Good nutrition will help. I get a bit like that sometimes and just go and have a long soak in the bath and let my brain off the hook for a bit. Treat the body instead.

Let us know how you're getting on.

Bessie xx

Comment

Working...
            X