Sun. - Jan. 20 - Daily Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday I drank. Nothing triggered it other than I wanted out for a while & didn't work against the urge. I thought about not reporting here & just going along, but if I can't be honest here, there's no point in being here. I had marked my 6 month & 1 year anniversaries on my calendar & crossed those out. I'll start again today w/a Jan. 20th 2008 sobriety date. I won't underestimate the addiction...it can hit in a split second. My 100+ days of sobriety wasn't insurance against it. I know some people see me as a font of wisdom, but I'm just another person struggling w/alcoholism. There's no point in beating myself up about it. All I can do is start anew. Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

You're a wonder, Mary. It was a good thing for you to come on here and post right away, not just for yourself but for all of us. Thank you for reminding us how quickly it can all come apart. I still think the same of you as always though. You're still a rock, and I admire you tremendously.

I'm getting ready for a friend to come over for a meeting, so I've got to get this place in order a bit. Happy AF Sunday everyone!

Hugs,:l

Kathy
    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

I am new here, Mary, but wanted to let you know that I find this thread very helpful in focusing my thoughts and controlling my urges. I understand no one's perfect; none of us are. I think it is inspiring that you have come here and shared your struggle with us. Your openness has helped others, which is something you can take pride in.

Please take care of yourself and don't take this minor detour too hard. I am only 23 days AF and have been wondering how long it may be before I slip up. I know only too well from my own experiences of trying to moderate that a slip can come so quickly and easily. As the others suggested, I try my best to understand what might have led up to the slip - the emotions and thoughts that might precede it and be warning signs - to help in the future. But I don't think there's such a thing as perfection.

Take care,
      --Dan.

Comment

Kathy & TK: Your words brought tears to my eyes. I love you, M
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Dan: Thank you too. M
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary, I know that is not what you wanted, but I really I hope I can accomplish what you have. I have read many of your posts, and whenever you do have a drink, you get right back to being AF. If I could have a drink every 60-100 days, and then look back upon the year and say, "Hey, in the past year I only drank 4 days out of the year," that is a true accomplishment.
            Goal 1: Today
            Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Mary,

First, I want to thank you for your honesty. An second, I want to tell you to go buy another calendar...

Yes you are human, very human with a human addiction - like all of us on this board - that is why we are here. We are here on our good days and on our bad days. And we are here for you today. I know you are probably feeling very disappointed today, that is also human, so please promise us that you will write and talk this through. I thiink it is important to dig deep to find out why.. it is more than you just wanted out for a while - I think you probably know that, though. Whatever the case, let us be your soundboard..

I will be thinking of you all day and giving you my strength to be kind to yourself and have renewed strength to start anew, as you said. I have no doubt.

All my love..

MM
              Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Mary,

I am here for you, too, today.

Take care of yourself. I am very proud of you for NOT beating yourself up about it because that way leads down the pity path that leads to more drinking...

We walk this walk together, Mary, and you have been there for me when I have fallen and helped pull me up.

Here is my hand today, take it.

Love,
                Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Mary, you are a true inspiration. :bow You have humbled me really fast. You show us how we must be diligent and not get overconfident. Not to say that's what you did, but it is still a lesson that might not have been learned without your honesty. Thank you so much.

You are a strong person and an amazing asset to this site. Stay strong. Today's a brand spanking new day! Be well and happy, my friend.

Love, Me
                  :l :l
                  Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

I can't express how much all of you mean to me. I'll get on track. M
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary, so sorry you slipped, but I'm pleased your not beating yourself up.
                      Tomorrow is another day.
                      Love Paula.

Comment

you are still the same wise person Mary with just one change....you are now even one more day wiser. we know what to do and we are doing it.
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Mary - we are all rooting for you.
                          Thank you for your honesty.
                          It makes us feel that you trust us.

Dx
                          * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

I do trust MWO...I've never achieved the kind of sobriety that I've had here. I know that I'll find out what was going on that led me to this. M
                            October 3, 2012

Comment

Oh, Mary, now you've made me cry too! You'll figure out what was going on when you're ready to. It was either Brigid of Katesm that always knew when I was going to slip before I did, just like tk did with you.

I love everyone here. We're a bunch of mushballs. When someone slips we just surround them with love and support without being critical. At the same time no one says it's okay--just love and forgive yourself. What more could you ask for from a support group??

Take care all, and lots of love, Mary:heart:

Hugs,:l

Kathy
                              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X