Well Meaning Sisters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Meaning Sisters

Do you have one? Well meaning sisters.... she doesn't have to be related by blood. Is there someone in your life that sits on the sidelines, critiquing every move you make? Not necessarily criticizing, but critiquing.

Got a new car? "You should have bought the hybrid."
    Note: she drives a jalopy.

Got a new house? "You should have paid a little more money and moved into THAT neighborhood."
    Note: she's still renting.

New Puppy? "You should have gone to the pound. There are SO many needy animals there!"
    Note: her apartment doesn't allow pets.

Losing Weight? "You've only lost 8 pounds. You should try the scooby snack diet- it works better"
    Note: she has a muffin top, too!

Nahh, rather than being excited that you finally traded in your rusty mini-van, she's quick to tell you what you SHOULDA done. Doesn't congratulate
    you on saving money and working hard to afford that new house, just tells you WHY you picked the wrong one.
    And when it comes to our sobriey, she never comments on our healthy glow, the lost weight, the new enthusiasm~ -
    If she comments at all, she tells you that are going about this "the wrong way" too....
    "Why don't you go to AA? Why are you taking all of those vitamins?"
    (It's not the WRONG way, it just isn't HER way).

HOW DO WE DEAL WITH THESE WELL MEANING SISTERS?

Disclaimer: I know, I know. I'm ready for Meditation Mama and Miss Nancy, because they will
    give us wise, MATURE advice~ and we need it. But hey, sometimes it helps to vent, or to put gum on her chair! :H

Patty
    Tampa, FL

Well Meaning Sisters

Oh well, put gum on her chair and in her hair (when you feel like it)......
    ....."Yep, I should have moved into THAT neighborhood, but I didn't want to make you feel even more miserable about your current situation"
    ..."Yeah, the scooby snack diet...heard about that, works good eh? Like your shirt.....is it a 14?"...

" AA? Oh dear, can't do that, would be completely dishonest!Had to commit to the 12 steps.....and can't relly admit that I feel sorry when I hurt your feelings!!!!!!"

I'm mean, I know.......

My daddy always used to say: If you got nothing nice to say, you should better shut up!
    Sister should be Sensitive, Inspiring , Supportive, Tolerant, Extraordinary,Reassuring and NOT Superficial,Irritating,Soo bitchy,Tense,Egocentric, Rebukefull...

Just a thought...love ya

Carm

Comment

Well Meaning Sisters

hi there..yea i have one and thats why i live here in fl and she lives in nc and a phone cal away but .like carm said .if you got nothing nice to say...you should shut up .. and that what i say to her .and am from a family of 14 brothers and sisters.. so i know the feeling.but hey have a wonderful sunday..and live for today
      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Well Meaning Sisters

Sorry Happy. Sisters can be a pain. Is she an older or younger sister? It just sounds like she is jealous, and she looks at the downside of your success to make her feel better. But I think you already know that.
        Goal 1: Today
        Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Well Meaning Sisters

Love them from a distance. People that are busy running your life generally have no life of their own.
          A dear friend of mine told me that she finally learned to deal with her sister by simply learning to give limited responses and never varying. "Maybe so." "That could be." And no matter what don't pick up on the rest of the message. Those two sisters are now 95 and 102 years old.
          Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

Well Meaning Sisters

Capt ~ that is great advice.... the lady I'm thinking of isn't actually my sister, but was one of my best friends for years. She gradually became SO opinionated that I really don't talk with her anymore.

What bugged me the most was the sideline commentaries about my kids, and how I'm not raising them properly.

"Patty, you aren't consistent with your discipline with your kids."
            "You favor daughter A or daughter B".
            "When are you going to realize that daughter A is playing you, and has your number?"

Or, if I was venting about my husband, she (having recently divorced) had all of the solutions about what I should be doing, or else I'd be divorcing too. I wasn't necessarily telling her so that she could give me advice- Sometimes I just needed to VENT and get it off my chest! (Looking back, I guess I should have been venting to my dog~ )

Finally, if she gave me "advice", and I told her that I disagreed, she'd pretty much say that "time will tell and prove her right".
            :dunno:

So, I slowly distanced myself ~ gradually let the phone calls go to voicemail, eventually stopped returning them, and stopped confiding. I do miss our friendship. I WISH I could have changed it, but no matter what I said, she was right, and I was wrong. :bonkers:
            Since we aren't related, I was afforded the opportunity to fade away. But what happens when they ARE related? Like Capt said, we can love them from a distance, but it sure can add stress at family gatherings....

Patty
            Tampa, FL

Comment

Well Meaning Sisters

I figured that you talked about a "friend"....just guts feeling
              Well dear the difference is....Family is something you can't change, this is something you where born into......friends are something you CAN change...you don't have to see them anymore!
              WE ARE HERE!!!!! And by the way, GOD never shuts a door without opening another.......if you need a friend, there will be one......I hop over if you need me:l

Look, I may be totally wrong.......but she is not very positive. Envies you the husband and did a NONO in suggesting a divorce and another one in getting between you and your kids!!!! I would say Hasta la vista Baby..or Good Ridden....you deserve better:h

Comment

Well Meaning Sisters

I don't excel at many things but one I have always been good at is separating myself from people who get me down. I don't need any more negativeness in my life. (I do that job for myself well enough, thanks). If I find myself getting into any kind of a relationship where the other person is making me feel worse about things, I get out quick.

Now, that said, it is not always so easily done. For example, what if it is a colleague and a superior at that? (Which I have in fact have). Then I take the passive-resitance route (works like a charm). She says: "I really think you could have finished that report more quickly. I could have polished it off in 2 hours". I answer. "You are so right. Thanks for being such a good mentor".

Now, the worst part is when it is a REAL sister. Then I have no real good answer, except that if you cannot be honest with each other, there is no real bond there, whether you be family or not.

In my case, I am estranged from 2 of my sisters because they could not accept my different opinions and lifestyle choices. If we could have had real conversations about them, even if we disagreed, it would be ok. But they won't listen to anything but their own way of thinking. I am open and have always made myself open, but, unfortunately, until they are able to deal with different opinions, then we don't talk at all. This is by mutual choice.

Very sad, as we were all best friends when little, but I have spent too many years agonising about this and trying to mend it and I know the best thing is to move on. Find the people who give you positive energy. Find the people who you enjoy being with. They are your real friends and your real sisters.

Sorry to be so long-winded. It is a touchy subject as you can see. Thank you all here for being my real sisters (and brothers).
                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Well Meaning Sisters

Not Happy - your ques was HOW DO WE DEAL WITH THESE WELL MEANING SISTERS?

Well, unfortunately you have only 2 choices. You let the friendship fade away like you have been doing or you address it head on. If you feel the relationship is worth saving, then you have to have that uncomfortable talk. She may be hurt at first, but again if the relationship is worth saving, she'll come around. If she is too hurt to change, then what have you lost? You're avoiding her anyway. But at least you cared enough to try and patch things up. It's tough, but most things worth while are.

On another note, I am still cracking up over Carm's first post. That is more likely what I would do!!! lol

Good luck!

Love, Me
                  :l
                  Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Well Meaning Sisters

VERY TOUCHY SUBJECT FOR ME. Especially today.

Had an hour long phone conversation today with my younger sister. Telling her exactly what I thought of her. Cried big time for several hours after talking. First time since mom died.

OUCH.

She's married to the perfect man, has two perfect, over-achieving daughters. Does't work, walks and goes to yoga everyday. Biggest decision is what to cook for the perfect husband for dinner.

I was named executrix of my mom's estate. I have five cats, cat hair over every piece of clothes that i wear. Work between 50-60 hours a weeks. I took care of my mom, with emphysema, COPD for 8 years. Took care of my beloved dad with alzheimers for 10 years, helped my mom take care of the best grandmother in the world who had a stroke for 10 years.

My sister and her family continued to use my parent's vacation home, while I did shopping, laundry, taking mom to the doctors, cleaned and paid bills. That was my vacation. Since my mom died, I've paid all the bills at the vacation place. They have been down to vacation during the summer, I've been down to check the pipes during the winter.

She hates the taste of AL. has no tolerance or it or anyone who drinks. She accuses me of drinking when I've been AF for more than a month.

Today, things blew up. Maybe after seeing this thread. But it had to happen.

I'm being sued by the real estate agents that sold my mom's condo who want a bigger commission. Friends of the family. My sister wanted to know if she needed to come down.

She's not coming down. Told her no, I want true friends with me.

I'm spending all free time, paying bills, dealing with accountants, IRS, trying to settle the estate, while my brother and sister sit there, waiting with their hands out.

GUM? I''ll take any and all contributions. Could use it on chairs, hair, car, cats, coffee maker, skis, running shoes, walking shoes, anywhere I can think.

OK, think I got that out of my system. Maybe.

Oooh that really felt good.

Comment

Well Meaning Sisters

Love yourself and get rid of the "shoulda, coulda, woulda's....It is too stressful and impossible to do.
                      ) Nancy
                      "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Well Meaning Sisters

I'd say...ask yourself if you're subconsciously inviting this advice you say you don't appreciate. The longer I read the posts on this site, the more I realize that there are two sorts of people in the world...those who give a rat's ass about the opinions of others, and those who trust themselves first. If this bitch gives you a pain in the butt, DUMP her. Why do you need invisible website friends to tell you this?

I've lost a friend because I gave her advice she didn't want. Her husband was cheating on her with their neighbor, and I told her she'd be a fool to let his sorry carcass back in the house...and she tearfully accused me of being "too judgmental" and "not understanding their relationship." They're still married (if you can call it that); he still cheats on her, and she and I are no longer friends.

So just ask yourself whether this "sister/friend" might just have some impartial observations you can use...
                        Jane Jane

Comment

Well Meaning Sisters

:h me and my sister have always been different, and distant. We tried to be friends during the 70's, and into the 80's, we grew far apart because of her alchoholism. She was my maid of honor and was totally wasted during the reception and ceremony. She made a public spectacle of herself, while I drank in private. She chose inappropriate men, now her husband... I chose a man that was a "settle" and I have not budged...

Now she is in ill health and has stolen our mom's identity to use credit cards. I live near mom and am a support system for her, should she become incapacitated it will be more of an issue. We don;t really fight, we just are different.
                          The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Well Meaning Sisters

Suzanna... I am so sorry ... every family is in a crisis in one way or another...
                            I don't know if you drink or if you are just angry... just breathe and release...
                            and let go... let your shoulders relaxs... in the long run... it's your life your running...
                            It seems like you have alot of anger...
                            Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

Well Meaning Sisters

What a sensitive thread.

I can relate -- I have a sister!

We can choose to let these relationships become roots of bitterness that will fester, or we can choose to acknowledge the pain, forgive (and that doesnt mean the other person owes you a thing), and press on.

We can make ourselves physically sick with anger, bitterness and unforgiveness, (which I have in the past) and that is not even factoring in alcohol. (but I did factor it in). I have started the forgiving journey, and with it I am accumulating more AF days than in a long time!

Lets find a way to forgive, and move on, whatever that is for you.

Just my 2 cents.
                              P4T
                              If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Working...
                              X