Long weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long weekend

Hi you all been a long weekend for me ! well long that i could not come on here. Had my boyfrind over . I am super plaesed ro report that we did our usual stuff , he is not a big drinker and i have not told him about coming on here or trying the kudzu , felt a bit sad i could not share the m-i-l story with him , any way i digress. Did our normal stuff saw friends went to the pub and think that stuff really works had just on glass off wine saturday a half pint of shandy on sunday and same monday and did not feel the desire to drink more !!!!. I did want to be af but that just seemed to make me think of alcohol all the time does that makes sence ???. So heres hoping this is the time the moderation thing can work , not planning to drink for the rest of the week and not going to beat myself up about not sticking to the af as moderation seems to be ok and determined not to get in the trap of my consumption incresing so will keep coming on here uodating and catching up with you guys , Happy Tuesday D D x

Oh as a side note ! they say things come in three's well you will never guess what happened to me this afternoon ???

1. spent the whole afternoon on a project , but was given the wrong info so whole lot needs doing again !!!!!

2. missed the bus home !!! and its was pouring yuk !!!!

3. Put my bus fare in my pocket while i nipped in a shop, there was a big whole in my pocket !! lost bus fare !!! oh deary dear !!!

But guess what not going to use my minor misfortunes to drown my sorrows yipadidoo !!!

Long weekend

I am guessing that you are in the UK. I have always wondered about drinking in the UK. Seems to be a common past-time.

Good for you on the moderation front!!!!!

Comment

Long weekend

Hi croft what did you wonder about us brits drinking ????

Comment

Long weekend

How you could all drink so much and not be alcholics.

Comment

Long weekend

ha ha that is the funniest thing i have heard for ages !!! we don't all drink so much most people are just like people everywhere some drink some don't. Most of my friends don't drink that much !! where did you get the idea that we all drink loads from ??? supose its just all media steriotyping just like we think all american are super size and rich with mega bib houses and cars !!and not sure i can talk to a barbie look a like !!! I am so jealous lol lucky you .

Comment

Long weekend

Americans consume more alcohol than anyone else that is what I've heard. I mean, the bars and pubs and some restaurants stay open till 5 or 6 in the morning in NYC.
            You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Long weekend

I think the stigma comes from all of the British shows we see here (in Canada, anyway)- they are always portraying people spending their free time in a pub or drinking a pint somewhere. A prime example would be Coronation Street.... in which I loooove that program tho.

I think drinking problems are everywhere. It doesn't matter which country you are from.

Comment

Long weekend

what's shandy again? I lived in England for a few months in dear old Maggie Thatcher's hometown .. LOL! I used to know all those drinks!
                as to stereotypes, i think drinking is just more socially accepted in Britain, here in the States there's this weird Puritan thread still hanging around, some people don't drink because of religion etc. we have weird ideas about alcohol here, hence Prohibition. I had a friend who would never admit to her parents that she drank because they thought even having one drink was immoral! And,I know lots of people who would never think of having one glass of wine or beer with dinner, but would consider it normal to go have 10 beers in a tavern. i always have an idea we are bigger binge drinkers in the States because of this.but maybe i'm wrong. But no, we don't think you're all alcoholics!! we have plenty of those over here (i'm raising my hand )
                :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Long weekend

I used to watch Coupling and they were always drinking in that show. But, I also remember a trip to London for business and every single night after work the whole office would go drink some beers or wine before heading home.

Comment

Long weekend

And the kids are always talking about how there is not as strict of a drinking age in Europe like there is here. And we have bad teenage drinking issues in the states.

Comment

Long weekend

I believe a lot of it is the thrill of doing something we shouldn't be doing. In speaking of under aged drinking. I know a lot of people who had a glass of wine with dinner when they were teens and they don't have a problem with alcohol today. For those who are 'forbidden' or are 'scolded' for drinking want to do it more.

Kind of like with me.... I KNOW I am an alcoholic - no doubt about. Aside from the physical dependency I once had with it, it was more of the rebellious/emotional mentality that made it worse. Everyone use to condemn me for drinking - or not holding it well - so it made me want to drink more.

Yeah, sorry for the ramble.... but it got me to thinking a bit about the whole socially acceptable mentality.

Comment

Long weekend

whow ! this is fun ! shandy is half lemonade and half beer dex ! I agree we don't have the puritanicals so much here like you do in america drinking is prety much accepted and in some ways more difficult to give up . I must admit when i have been on holidays the american i have met have been into the booze big time but again thats sterotyping. Please don't think British life is like Coronation Street ( I love it too account. ) I kove it because its so funny a million miles from how most of us live !! are you up to us ??? Vera has just died Oh Know !!!! just as she was moving to Blackpool !!! thats enough to make anyone depart this world lol heaven forbid you ever get a show like shameless from us you will have us all locked up for crimes against drugs drink and just about everything going lol. Ans dex you ar a top guy always loads of great stuff to say and support and brave putting your hand up tonight ! keep on going mate this chick from over the water is rooting for you ! will raise my shandy to you next time i am in a olde ye wordle british pub !! Heading to the snow myself on Saturday sking in the alpes yippee !

Comment

Long weekend

think thats a bit of wishful thinking on the kids in america's part the age for drinking here is 18 and talk of raising it. we have a problem with under age drinkers on the streets here croft think it must be a big issue in lots of places. Don't know about there but here alcohol seems to be getting cheaper and bars push people into having doubles at cheap prices etc and then say people are over drinking ??? more like the government like the tax they collect on it !!! Not seen coupling and I live a good distance from London and never go for a drink after work ! but if you saw my collegues you whould understad why lol

Comment

Long weekend

LOL.... nope, I haven't caught Coronation Street in about 4 months now. I am hoping to catch up on what is happening lately this coming Sunday. They play it for 2.5 hours on Sunday morning here. They do have the half hour programs in the evening but I never catch them.

Vera died? Oh wow!

Actually we have a lot of the British Style pubs where I am from.... I am not living there right now, but I am originally from Victoria. It is a very British style city. I don't think all Brits are pub dwellers. I can't imagine it is anything different than anywhere else.

Comment

Long weekend

thats funny account thats how i started this thread by saying when i try to be af i want to drink even more and can't stop thinking about drinking to the point of obsession and feel really depressed but when i moderate I don't think about it so much. Luckily for me I am not at this point in my life an aloholic but alcohol has caused me huge problems and i say at this point as i realise that if i don't take action i will be one day ! all this really get you thinking . And heres a point if so many shows show people drinking how come they don't show the crap that can go with it ????

Comment

Working...
                              X