Alcohol Manifesto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol Manifesto

I've decided that this time, in order to quit drinking I need to do something more than just say, "I'm done". I wrote down what I called my manifesto, listing all the reasons I hate it when I drink too much. I also specified the kind of support I want from my husband. He drinks wine 2-3 glasses most days, but stops whenever he wants. I just want him to believe I can be successful. Neither of us wants him to nag me. I've found this forum, and ordered 3 books from Amazon: an AA book, My Way Out, and a Carr book. Thanks for all the postings you have shared, and I hope these ideas help me as well as someone else. I welcome thoughts on any or all of these strategies. Today is AF day 6 for me.:new:
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Alcohol Manifesto

hey dowjdb, welcome to the boards! I think you have the right idea. A manifesto is a great guideline.
    The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Alcohol Manifesto

hi there..dowjob.all the book are good just take what you need from all of them and you can make your own way out ..good job.keep it up . it only gets better
      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Alcohol Manifesto

welcome. It is great that you have your hubby's support. Now you will have ours as well!!

Comment

Alcohol Manifesto

:welcome: Dowjbw (can I buy a vowel? :H )

Congratulations!! Saying "I'm done" is the first step in this journey and the more you stick around here the more help you will find to keep you on track. Definitely think about getting serious about taking supplements -- you probably already are -- they really help balance the brain chemistry, which we all know the beast has been messing with for a while.

Hope to "see" you around,
          xox
          Fby

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
          - Soren Kierkegaard

Comment

Alcohol Manifesto

Dow - great job on your 6 days!! Wtg!

You are going to love the support and inspiration you will receive here. Post often as you need and continue to read as many threads as possible. I think they're better than most books! lol

Keep up the good work!

Love, Me
            :l
            Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Alcohol Manifesto

Yes, Thankful, the vowels are those included in Juliana. I'll let you keep worrying about the other letters. Of course I'm nervous about my true identity - probably many here are. But it doesn't need to turn into paranoia.

I definitely ordered the My Way Out book because the web site intrigued me nutritionally, and it sounds like the author at least looked at some research. Most days I haven't been drinking at all, and I am very good about what I eat (lots of fruits, veggies, and whole grains). On Sundays (after church!), my husband makes a nice dinner served with wine. Problem is, once the wine is gone, he takes a nap and I keep drinking. I've never missed work on Monday am, but I truly don't feel well. This just has to stop. There are also other days that I cave in to the cravings.

I welcome thoughts on where to begin with supplements. My book hasn't arrived yet, so maybe I just have to wait. But is there one that people find most helpful? I almost ordered the Kudzu when I ordered the book, but I want the big picture.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Alcohol Manifesto

Welcome to you Dow. If you are looking for more info on supps, "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" is great. I make my own supplement programme -- it is a mix of the stuff from MWO and Seven Weeks and everything else I have read or learned.

ALL ONE is a great thing if you don't eat well and are not inclined to putting a large amount of pills/capsules together. Do your own research and decide what is best for you.

As for your "problem"-- it sounds to me that you are just on the brink of having a problem. You are nipping it in the bud. Good on you! The book will come soon, and it will give you inspiration.

As for cravings, I find the kudzu helps (The MWO stuff is the best you can get). Many people also are helped by the l-glutamine (I recommend powder form-- 5 grams, 2-3 times a day on an empty stomach).

I hope you will find what you need. You are already halfway there by realising your problem.
                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Alcohol Manifesto

Well done!!!

:goodjob: Hi Hon,
                  Welcome aboard. You have done so well to be AF for 6 days, It does get easier. I have only been AF for 20 ays and alrady feel a lot better. Keep going, you can do it

Geordiegirl

Comment

Alcohol Manifesto

dowjbw;265091 wrote: I've decided that this time, in order to quit drinking I need to do something more than just say, "I'm done". I wrote down what I called my manifesto, listing all the reasons I hate it when I drink too much. I also specified the kind of support I want from my husband. He drinks wine 2-3 glasses most days, but stops whenever he wants. I just want him to believe I can be successful. Neither of us wants him to nag me. I've found this forum, and ordered 3 books from Amazon: an AA book, My Way Out, and a Carr book. Thanks for all the postings you have shared, and I hope these ideas help me as well as someone else. I welcome thoughts on any or all of these strategies. Today is AF day 6 for me.:new:
                    Day 6? Congratulations! Keep coming back. You can be successful and this proves it

Comment

Alcohol Manifesto

Hi Dow~
                      Welcome. For supplements, I'm taking a Super B complex, which is the MOST important one you should start with- it will help restore the vitamins that your liver hasn't been able to process.... I also take Calcium with magnesium, flax seed oil, vitamin E.... my medicine cabinet is gradually filling up....

(For Christmas, I got a "Food Saver" seal-a-meal machine.... I've started making little packets so that I don't have to spend 5 minutes every morning dealing vitamins to myself... it's easy to grab a pack and take them on my way to work... )

Patty
                      Tampa, FL

Comment

Alcohol Manifesto

Welcome

Welcome Dow - you are in great company here. You will find love, support, laughter and a ton of what works for different people. congrats on the Alcohol free Days. Today makes day number 34 for me. Today is the first day I have taken a "breath" and believed I CAN do this. In the first weeks I was concentrating so hard, I didn't take time to smell the roses. There will the gems in every day - so just enjoy the journey! I look forward to seeing you post your journey!
                        Liv :l
                        AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Alcohol Manifesto

Thanks so much

:thanks: I am so thrilled to have the support I have found here. I am checking in everyday and put myself on the Feb calendar. Today is AF day 9. I got my AA book yesterday, and didn't connect with it at all. Basically it says, "my life is a mess, I need to do this to fix it." I have a great life: a good husband of 27 years, employment in a profession I enjoy, and we are financially secure. But my drinking has been getting worse, and I don't want to lose my future. Amazon shipped the MWO book yesterday, so it will arrive this weekend. Thanks for the supplement info, I'll probably try that. But basically I haven't had much desire since quitting. Just having this forum makes a big difference for me.

Comment

Working...
                          X